Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Rough Month  (Read 10245 times)

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
  • It's called Sanity, but maybe it's me that's crazy
Rough Month
« on: August 22, 2006, 03:09:01 PM »

Hey Ya'll-

I haven't been around for a few weeks... there's been an extraordinary amount of fire and rescue activity here in the Burgh.  Got me pretty washed out at this point... to say the least.

It all started off duty actually down at "Mountainfest Bike Week" in W. Va.   The wife and I and another firefighter, (Bobby), had gone out the campground to set up our tents and get settled and on the way back into town, on a goat path of a road, an Ultra comin' toward us misnegotiated a turn, locked up, slid sideways and high sided the rider and his wife.  The rider, "Dave" was thrown about 30 feet thru the air and landed on his right temple on the pavement.  He was wearing a helmet, but it was the "skull cap" variety and not DOT approved.  The helmet cracked and thus Dave's head took the blow.  His wife was only thrown about 10 feet and she rolled once she hit the ground, she suffered a cracked pelvis, broke her arm in 3 places, and various road rash.  All in all she was gonna be ok, Dave on the other hand was critical with severe blood loss.  Dave lived for me for approximately 8 minutes and then his heart stopped.  Bobby had been attending to Dave's injured wife and I called to him for assistance with CPR.  Local FD and Medics arrived on scene about 25 minutes in and we continued to assist.  At approx 55 minutes in, we were DC'd by the MD online with us from Morgantown Regional Hospital.  Sad moment, very sad...  We did all we could, but we know that there was nothing more we could have done.  What a way to start a weekend.  On top of all this, after it was all over, I remembered that I had cut my thumb the night before while washing the bike and of course I had Dave's blood all over me and the cut.  Not Good.  As rare as it is to contract something from a situation such as this, testing must be done, so lucky me, off we go to have blood drawn, etc, etc, etc.  Turns out so far all tests are negative, and the Medical Examiners office in W. Va. has run a complete screen also with everything there being negative so far too.  It's gonna be some time before all is said and done though.

Then back in the Burgh, over the course of the last month, seems like every numbskull in our Boro wants to burn down their house, their shrubbery outside, wreck their car, lose their children, dig a ditch without checking for gas lines first, then there's always the lunatic that murders his ex wife by ramming her into a building with his car.  Crazy F,in' people!!! What the F%@$ is goin' on???  I have a theory that the moon was full the entire month we just couldn't see it all.  To top it all off, just 2 hours ago, we had an ambulance catch fire and was fully involved by the time we got on scene.  Oh yeah, and don't forget about the cat stuck in a tree yesterday that was so far out on a branch that there was no way we were gettin it down.  When we told the owner that it'll come down by itself when it gets hungry enough, they were actually P.O.'d at us... at us??????? Stupid cat.

Please... make it stop!!!  I've seen a lot of SH$T fightin' fire for 26 years now and I don't mind bein' busy but... What the Hell... What's next???

Do me a favor... all of you... wear a DOT approved helmet... PLEASE.  This website has a ton of great people as members and I nor any of us wanna see anyone get seriously hurt, or worse, end up like Dave... Rest In Peace Brother.

Later-
The "Rebel"
343 Never Forget

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Rough Month
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:02:23 PM »

Bummer of a month, I hear you on the full moon theory.

Said a prayer for Dave's wife and Dave too.

Since riding to CC and wearing a helmet the entire time, mostly due to wanting the bluetooth to work I have decided that even when it is available to ride without one, I no longer have any interest.  While it does provide the freedom and in the wind experience, it is too big a risk for me to take now.  

No telling when one of those "accidents" may befall you and may as well just wear the damn skid lid, too many here have survived with them and too many have not without.  Thanks for the post and reminder to be safe, hopefully your month will get better.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 04:21:29 PM »

Rebel,
Hang in there Bro, I know exactly how you feel. Those that don't do and see what we do daily sometimes have no clue. My family often wonders why I don't ever come home and talk about my job. It's for the simple reason most of the time when we are doing our job is because somebody is in a situation where the need some emergency assistance. We see and deal with people and situations daily that more then likely are at that time they are in the worst possible place they could be. Some days, especially after having the month you have had it is hard to go to work, but we do, and we keep giving it our all. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Your story reminds me of a similar one that I had right after I started back riding again. Was preparing to go to Myrtle Beach Bike Week, and day before I left ran a call on the interstate for a scooter accident. This rider had gone down and hit guardrail and had his arm cut off at the shoulder. To this day every time I'm at work and hear of a motorcycle accident it always gives me a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach and I give thanks that I've been able to stay safe while riding.

The ordeal that you are presently going through with the body fluid contamination is no fun at all. I pray that it will all continue to be negative and you can put it past you.

Also sending out a prayer for Dave and his wife. May he R.I.P. and ride forever in heaven.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 04:22:12 PM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:25:05 PM »

Also sending out a prayer for Dave and his wife. May he R.I.P. and ride forever in heaven.

Amen!  

I can not even kinda get a handle on how folks can voluntarily do a job like the one you do.  Policemen, Firemen, Military, all who deal with the literal life and death.  Daily!  Overwhelming!

I sure hope and pray that your days get better - and soon.  Makes the the stress I thought I came home with today to appear to be absolutely nothing.  

I don't see a solumn smiley to finish this post with.   [smiley=confused5.gif]

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 08:10:51 PM »

Not a good moment for you Rebel.....thanks for you remind to all of us to wear helmet...Dave RIP and his wife gets well soon.....

Ride safe mi amigo,

Jorge

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 09:20:36 PM »

Powerful post, Rebel.  In one little instant, life changed completely for Dave and especially his wife and family.
God bless you and all the others here and everywhere who put their lives on the line for us every day.
And thanks for saying what I'd like to say about helmets. I've always got mine on.
Here's hoping the tests stay negative for you.
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:48:56 AM »

Hey Rebel,Fired00d and all the other emergency service workers as well as those in life threatening jobs, I fully understand what you are going through. Hang in there it will get better. I will say a prayer for Dave,his family all all the other riders who have had troubles this year.
The old saying used to be "leave your job problems on the job and leave your home problems at home."  The problem with that is if you can truly do that you have mastered the art of being skitzo!" [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
I'm not saying you need to bring home color photos for your spouse and the kids but you do need to get things off your chest and destress.P.T.S.D. can affect many folks at many types of events. That's one reason I really enjoy bike riding as well as fishing and other things to destress.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 01:31:11 AM »

DC told me about this post on the phone earlier today.  I stopped him halfway through reading it.  A couple on an ultra losing it in a curve and throwing both passengers....too many similarities for me.  Then I asked DC (aka Dawg) did he remember hitting his head or having a 1" cut on his temple and having blood run down his face when they pulled him out of the ditch.  He became very quiet for a few minutes.  

DC was wearing the same style "brain bucket" (so thin that it didn't keep gravel from cutting his head).  I was wearing one of the larger and thicker DOT half-helmets with mini-visor.  I saw that same helmet this weekend.  I shivered when I picked it up and was still shocked by the deep scrapes in the helmet (on the right side from temple to behind ear, by the way).  He gave me a different helmet but then he put on the same brain bucket he was wearing during the accident.  I was surprised that he hadn't already replaced it because he knows its no longer safe, and he didn't want me to wear the one from accident.  Anyway, I didn't remember the cut on his temple until he read Rebel's post TODAY.  I actually remember thinking, as I hit the ground, "Man that should have hurt a lot worse.  THANK GOD it's been raining!"  I know my face and head would have been a mess if I had not been wearing a helmet that was almost 2" thick. That skullcap did little to protect him. I didn't realize how lucky (or blessed) DC actually was until I read this post.  If it had not rained for two days, the rocks and gravel would not have been absorbed by the mud.  The cut most likely would have been a gouge or the rocks would have imbedded into his skull!!  I honestly think the mud prevented me from being seriously injured and kept the Dawg from getting killed.  

BTW, the worse part of that trip wasn't the accident.  It was having to pick up the phone and call his brother to tell them we had been in an accident and that he was hurt.  I don't know that I could have handled calling for the alternative.  (Are you listening, Mike?)  They're hot and they don't look cool, BUT I know my kids don't really care what I look like as long I'm here.  The same is true for everyone's children, grandchildren, wife or husband, mom and dad, brothers and sisters, and friends!  I won't ever go without a helmet again - not in Florida, not in Myrtle, not in Sturgis.  I read something by a 30-year veteran biker/freelance writer about helmets.  He said you used to not wear a helmet to be a REBEL.  Today, you can still be a REBEL...WEAR a helmet at Sturgis!  Show them you're not afraid to be different!  Another point is that 103tHunDer and Firedood are right about the emergency contact info.  If Dawg had not used my phone earlier, I would not have had his brother's number on my phone.

Rebel, Bobby, Firedood, and others - God gave us all different gifts and talents.  He gave you the "gift" of service.  Not everyone can do it!  It is a selfless job.  It's rewarding when you save someone, but its crushing when you lose someone.  All the ff's I know try to make light of by joking about it, but we know that it is sometimes the only way to deal with grief.  To this day, my ex-husband will turn white if you mention the 5-year-old little girl that he treated in a car accident that is now paralyzed because she was in the front seat in just a seatbelt.  Our son was about to turn 5 when the accident took place about a mile from our house.  He didn't cause her paralysis, the seatbelt and airbag did.  Yet, he still wonders if he moved her head slightly while putting on the collar or if he could have done anything differently to change the outcome.  DCFiremann had a rough experience on a fire call with an infant that was the same age as his baby daughter at the time.  I think there is always one call that is so similar to you or someone you love that it sticks with you forever.  All we can do is thank you for a job well done, pray for you to have peace, and pray for Dave's wife and family, AND your wife and Bobby.

Since our accident, I make sure that I don't take anyone or anything for granted.  I received the news about my mom about an hour before we wrecked.  I was panicking because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to talk to her one more time and knew I didn't have any time to waste!  I don't think I had stopped sliding before I bolted out of the ditch.  JR, DC, Scot, and Nascar's Fatboy (a non-site member) provided me with the right words of wisdom and comfort at exactly the right time.  Don, JC, Andy, Terry, Candy, Hubbard, and others on and off this site have been great friends and offered words of encouragement along the way when it was needed most.  I hope and will pray you receive the same, Rebel.  Godspeed, my friend.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:42:07 AM by TheVgirl »
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

harleydiva

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 07:43:00 AM »

My hat goes off to all of you firefighters and policemen who risk your lives each day and deal with the emotional effects associated with your job.  

V mentioned using redial to call DCFireman's brother when they wrecked.   I read an article that said to add a contact in your cell phone --- ICE (in case of emergency contact).  

Work Safe and Ride Safe Everyone

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 09:00:32 AM »

TheVgirl, your post shows how many people can be affected by a traumatic event. It is something when you go through trauma and just hearing about others can trigger the emotions of your event. P.T.S.D. can occur in various degrees and different people have different reactions also. Some folks overeat,some drink,others act out sexually just to celibrate being alive and some become daredevils. Other folks become withdrawn and depressed and want to build barriers to protect themselves. For most ,time will pass and hopefully they can talk and work things through.

harleydiva, you are correct about ICE in that much has been said about it and many emergency services worldwide have been shown info on the idea and try to use it at trauma scenes. It is a great idea for everyone (Not just bikers) to use.
F.Y.I. you can program your cell phone for more than one ICE number such as ICE1 or ICE2 in case there is no answer at the first number too.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »

DC told me about this post on the phone earlier today.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »

The point I wish to make is that of a post in the picture section of a Black & red 07 Ultra The Couple are wearing D.O.T. Helmets However what caught my eye was the Co-rider wearing sandles. Had the co-rider in the above accident been wearing those shoes when they highsided then I'm sure the only thing the D.O.T. Helmet would have done would have made sure she really enjoyed the full effect of the pain of having her Flesh stripped off her feet a long time during the healing process!

Please Wear what you want I do and I do NOT JUDGE YOU for what you wear!

You know it is a choice, but sometimes we make choices based upon inexperience!  I am happy to listen to more experienced RIDERS.  I don't want to hear a bunch of crap from someone who has never rode a motorcycle.  However, I will listen to someone that has been riding longer than me and has experience to back up his or her argument!  My hands are what caused me the most aggravation.  It still has pits and has not healed properly.  I took gloves with me to ride as a passenger this past weekend.  I also didn't think twice about packing my riding boots in addition to high-heeled boots.  The "road rash" on both boots reminds me to not be stupid again.  I jokingly asked, "Do I have to change?"  I was wearing a miniskirt and flip-flops.

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »

Rebel,

The only thing I
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 12:15:26 PM »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »

I've said this before, but the second most likely thing to get torn up (after your head) in any motorcycle accident is your feet, and third is your hands.  All three of those parts are pretty important in day to day living.  Your feet and hands have more bones in them than anywhere else on your body, and a lot of them cannot be "set" if broken.  A good pair of boots, with the right kind of socks on, are not uncomfortable, too hot, etc.  Get wicking socks like backpackers/skiers/hunters wear and your feet will not sweat. Get a pair of gloves that are well made and will not easily come off without undoing some kind of strap near your wrist.  Make sure the seams won't come apart and expose your skin in a slide.  Wear at least a half helmet that is DOT approved. preferably a 3/4 or full face.  Would you rather look cool, feel the wind in your hair,  etc and spend a couple of years with a plastic surgeon trying to put your face back on if you go down?  I'm vain enough to try and keep my face and head just like it is and let it grow old gracefully...

It's a choice, and I'm all about that...INFORMED choices, and not knee-jerk, emotionally based ones.  If you've got good insurance or are wealthy enough to afford tens of thousands of dollars to fix yourself back up, go ahead and do what you want to do, but if you don't, please don't make the rest of us pick up your tab and remember all of those who will feel sad because we've lost someone else we all care about.

My hat is off to all of you who face these tragedy's on a daily basis... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »

Good thoughts, well said TC.  I don't worry so much about breaking stuff, done most of that before.  Its the dead part that causes me to take notice.  My summer gloves may be a bit thin, but I think I meet your recommendations.

Still hate the thought of the government MAKING me, however.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 02:08:56 PM »

You know it is a choice, but sometimes we make choices based upon inexperience!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »

Well this post hit home for me.  I wasnt wearing a helmet at the time of my accident and well I can say as others have said to me that I used up my winning lottery ticket.  Was it stupid sure was (in my own opinion), but after so many years of not wearing one its kind of like a bad old habit.   While I don't judge anyone for not wearing them internally i speak volumes about how reckless it is not just for that person, but for the family / loved ones god forbid something ever happens.   I don't wish to jump up on a soap box here, but I will share a bit so that it may entice those that don't wear a proper lid to at least consider it.

When I was in the hospital with all that had happened to me one could see visibly that I had a cantelope size knot on the left side of my head from where I hit the ground/ pavement / shoulder of the road.   I have to tell you I failed the first 3 psycological exams, partly due to brain swelling, partly due to meds, partly due to overall trauma.   I was very lucky, but I also showed signs of narcolepsy and what the worst part of this was is that my wife and family as a whole had to deal with all of this.  I was pretty drugged for the first 3 weeks and really dont recall the first 2 1/2 of them thank goodness.   Now forget the fact that i was hurt badly, doctors were unsure of the damage done to my Gord, my head and face was tore up pretty severely.  At the time I wasn't in a position to understand it, but it was the care givers and loved ones and true friends that you should consider the lid for as well as your own safety.

Just my thoughts on this post the accident.   I can also tell you that this accident had such an impact on the people I ride with, that ALL wear helmets now and its due to them having been through / seeing what happened to me and the vivid memories of me lying there on the road in the hospital.

-harry

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 05:35:51 PM »

2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

Hey Ya'll-

Thank you all for your kind words and appreciation.  In reading your posts in reply to my original post, it made me realize that I left something very important out.

I didn't know Dave or his wife Ann, but I did attend the funeral.  It turns out that he only lived about 45 minutes away, and I felt as though I needed to go to see his wife Ann, to give my condolences and to obtain some sense of closure myself.  After so many years being called to action while on duty, this one happened off duty, while on the scoot myself, with my wife, and at a bike week event.  This is all supposed to be good times right?  Anyway, when we're called out on duty, there is some sense of preparedness, dispatch tells us where we're going, a description of the incident and any other details they can provide... at least we have some forewarning, some time, even if only a minute, in the apparatus to prepare.  When this happened, it just wasn't right... wrong time, wrong place, wrong, wrong, wrong... we were just dropped into it, whamo.  I mean, it's not like I haven't been off duty and had to do things before, but nothing to this scale and especially not another biker, just enjoying a weekend with his wife at the same event as us, staying at the same place, etc, etc.  Too many similarities that make you think.

Dave was 62.
He had 6 children, 24 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren.
He was Army Special Forces in his younger years.
He had many friends.

There were 6 easels at his funeral with pictures pasted on poster board of Dave with his family, friends, at home, vacations, on his bike, at bike weeks.......

But what really stood out was a letter pasted to one of the easels, in the middle, with pictures of his life surrounding the letter.  The letter was from one of his grand-daughters who was 7...

It read...

"Pappy-
I'll miss you.  Why did you have to go away.
I know you are still watching over me,
but I really wish you were still here to hug me.
I Love You Pappy,
Samantha"

I think Samantha said it all.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 10:09:22 PM »

I was not going to respond to this post, but since I had read it to "V" I have come back to reread a few times. I have thought about this incident over and over and wasn't even there. V was right it brought back a bad memory for both of us.

To Dave may he rest in peace. I am sure he went while doing one of the things he loved best, and to his wife I wish her the best. I like most know that time will heal this pain.

I was surprised "V" even posted about an incident that had really upset me. I actually forgot I had even told her about it. For most that don't know me I work in the busiest fire department per capita in the world. It's not something I talk about much to anyone unless I have had a few drinks. Still even then it needs to be pried out of me so to speak. Like others on this site that are in the same profession as I am all I can say is, I LOVE MY JOB and I am sure they feel the same way. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 10:58:03 PM »

Hey Ya'll-

Thank you all for your kind words and appreciation.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 11:34:14 PM »

I was not going to respond to this post, but since I had read it to "V" I have come back to reread a few times. I have thought about this incident over and over and wasn't even there. V was right it brought back a bad memory for both of us.

To Dave may he rest in peace. I am sure he went while doing one of the things he loved best, and to his wife I wish her the best. I like most know that time will heal this pain.

I was surprised "V" even posted about an incident that had really upset me. I actually forgot I had even told her about it. For most that don't know me I work in the busiest fire department per capita in the world. It's not something I talk about much to anyone unless I have had a few drinks. Still even then it needs to be pried out of me so to speak. Like others on this site that are in the same profession as I am all I can say is, I LOVE MY JOB and I am sure they feel the same way. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
God Speed DAWG....  I am not in your profession, but, close enough my friend

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »

God Speed DAWG....
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 10:12:33 AM »

.....I feel for Rebel right now. Brother if you need anything call " THE DAWG "

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Rebel,
That goes for me also if you need anything you can give me a call. Just PM'd you my cell phone #.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:13:35 AM by flhtcse2004 »
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 12:43:39 PM »

V, DC & FireDood-

Thank you.

V- my wife, Theresa, is doing ok.  It was hard for her to get back on the scoot, and she's still pretty spooked.  Our 12 year old daughter and I did about 500 miles together up in the Allegheny National Forest last weekend.  I swear my wife called every hour to check on us.  It will take time, but it's also a lesson and should never be forgotten in that sense.

DC & FireDood- Thank you both.  I'm ok, just a little off my game right now.  Just can't seem to get this one outta my head.  I know both of you are unfortunately too aware of what I mean.  I really appreciate your offers, I know I have two real brothers here.  Thank you.

Later-
The "Rebel"
343 Never Forget

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 01:02:29 PM »

Wow. If anyone reading this thread wondered why they should wear a helmet, they should know now.

Harry, I didn't realize how bad your crash was.  Glad you're on the good mend.

Several years ago I lost a good friend to head injuries after a slow speed get-off, no helmet.  Slid into a car at a stop, fell backwards, hit the back of his noggin on the asphalt.  He was alive, but 'out of it' for 1 1/2 years before he finally succumbed.

Me... I've always worn a half-helmet.  Guess I'm gonna go get at least a 3/4 now....  A shield will mess with my cigar smoking while riding, but... I guess that's not a bad thing.

Ride safe. (Said that so many times, but this time it feels different)
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 06:01:15 PM »

Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

Hogfn

• Full CVO Member
  • FINALLY!!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »

All of this makes me question once again if it's smart to ride with my lovely wife as a passenger. Many folks I know don't ride that way figuring if they were to go down, both "parents" would be at risk. One option would be to never travel on the bike together or for her to ride her own bike.  In our case, the second option is not an option at the moment because she would require much practice since she has never ridden.  Last summer, I rode from VA to MI to meet my family and we returned together.  During the return trim, my wife rode with me periodicaly while the kids followed behind in the mini-van.  An image passed thru my mind several times of us going down or being involved in an accident with all of this being witnessed by our own children......am I showing my age (mortality)?
2014 SE
2005 Cherry SE
SE Air Cleaner
PC III
Freedom Exhaust and Pipes

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 08:40:56 PM »

All of this makes me question once again if it's smart to ride with my lovely wife as a passenger. Many folks I know don't ride that way figuring if they were to go down, both "parents" would be at risk. One option would be to never travel on the bike together or for her to ride her own bike.  In our case, the second option is not an option at the moment because she would require much practice since she has never ridden.  Last summer, I rode from VA to MI to meet my family and we returned together.  During the return trim, my wife rode with me periodicaly while the kids followed behind in the mini-van.  An image passed thru my mind several times of us going down or being involved in an accident with all of this being witnessed by our own children......am I showing my age (mortality)?
What you have said has a lot of merit. My wife often thinks of the same thing when we ride, and has on several occasions talked to me about it. Subconsciously I'm probably somewhat glad that she doesn't desire to ride as much as I do because of the fact that an accident has the potential to take us both from our children and grandchildren. Nothing wrong with showing your age or mortality as you put it, makes for a more cautious/safe rider. I would not dare do the things I did on a scooter twenty years ago today, and even cringe when I think of some of the things I did. [smiley=nervous.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 09:30:19 PM »

GOD SPEED my friend...

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 10:16:56 AM »

My wife and I are the only ones in our group that wear our helmet. Alot of times we feel out of place but what the heck it our nogens. Reading this thread reminds me of the dangers we all endure when we hop on the saddle. My prayers to Dave's family and to Rebel.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2006, 10:26:38 AM »

You said all of it right there BK.  Only you can be responsible for your welfare.  The next guy is busy being responsible for his own! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

All we can do is pray for those less fortunate in choice or circumstance.

harleydiva

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2006, 11:51:54 AM »

TheVgirl, your post shows how many people can be affected by a traumatic event. It is something when you go through trauma and just hearing about others can trigger the emotions of your event. P.T.S.D. can occur in various degrees and different people have different reactions also. Some folks overeat,some drink,others act out sexually just to celibrate being alive and some become daredevils. Other folks become withdrawn and depressed and want to build barriers to protect themselves. For most ,time will pass and hopefully they can talk and work things through.

harleydiva, you are correct about ICE in that much has been said about it and many emergency services worldwide have been shown info on the idea and try to use it at trauma scenes. It is a great idea for everyone (Not just bikers) to use.
F.Y.I. you can program your cell phone for more than one ICE number such as ICE1 or ICE2 in case there is no answer at the first number too.

Thanks VA .. I programmed more than one ICE number into my cell.  

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2006, 12:00:42 PM »

Thanks VA .. I programmed more than one ICE number into my cell.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »

I just put my ICE numbers in the phone, Thanks all.

I programmed my too. Great idea, I'm going to pass the idea on to my kids phones.

Thanks, Ed
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2006, 05:58:45 PM »

Good thoughts, well said TC.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2006, 07:45:07 AM »

Hey TC,

I hear you and understand your logic.  The voice of reason we both hear, when taking others into consideration is not always heard by others.  Maybe thats the difference.

I was raised to have a healthy dose of mistrust for the government and have never been comfortable with social type rules made to protect me from myself.  If a guy has no concern for his family, do these rules really make a difference?  The Tupperware helmet (love that!) was sold only to get around the law.  There are already laws in most places that require the proper insurance, and that makes sense to me.  

I guess it just bothers me to be told what to do.  Maybe all those Nuns in school have damaged my faculties.....I do not readily assume that Uncle Sam knows all.  Remember people like Ted Kennedy  [smiley=drink.gif]and Hillary [smiley=rolleyes5.gif] are making these rules up.

Seems like they should be doing so many other things, like protecting our streets and borders.  They seem to be a bit off track there. [smiley=soapbox.gif]

Sorry, you got me going this morning!  

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2006, 08:01:54 AM »

I guess it just bothers me to be told what to do.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2006, 08:09:40 AM »

Yes I still have a couple that are crooked too!  But the worst was the one that whooped me up side the head with her rubber tipped pointer.....

W H A C K !!!   [smiley=stars.gif]

Used to hate that!

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2006, 09:33:09 AM »

Hey Ya'll-

Only had a couple minutes, but wanted to hop on and post.  Got the call from the Dr. at the medical examiners office late yesterday.  All of the blood tests are negative.  It took them forever to get me the results, but good news nonetheless.

Later-
The "Rebel"
343 Never Forget

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2006, 09:44:51 AM »

Hey Ya'll-

Only had a couple minutes, but wanted to hop on and post.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2006, 09:46:52 AM »

Hey Ya'll-

Only had a couple minutes, but wanted to hop on and post.
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2006, 09:58:27 AM »

God Bless Reb!

GREAT NEWS! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 21 queries.