Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rough Month  (Read 10244 times)

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
Re: Rough Month
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »

Good thoughts, well said TC.  I don't worry so much about breaking stuff, done most of that before.  Its the dead part that causes me to take notice.  My summer gloves may be a bit thin, but I think I meet your recommendations.

Still hate the thought of the government MAKING me, however.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 02:08:56 PM »

You know it is a choice, but sometimes we make choices based upon inexperience!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »

Well this post hit home for me.  I wasnt wearing a helmet at the time of my accident and well I can say as others have said to me that I used up my winning lottery ticket.  Was it stupid sure was (in my own opinion), but after so many years of not wearing one its kind of like a bad old habit.   While I don't judge anyone for not wearing them internally i speak volumes about how reckless it is not just for that person, but for the family / loved ones god forbid something ever happens.   I don't wish to jump up on a soap box here, but I will share a bit so that it may entice those that don't wear a proper lid to at least consider it.

When I was in the hospital with all that had happened to me one could see visibly that I had a cantelope size knot on the left side of my head from where I hit the ground/ pavement / shoulder of the road.   I have to tell you I failed the first 3 psycological exams, partly due to brain swelling, partly due to meds, partly due to overall trauma.   I was very lucky, but I also showed signs of narcolepsy and what the worst part of this was is that my wife and family as a whole had to deal with all of this.  I was pretty drugged for the first 3 weeks and really dont recall the first 2 1/2 of them thank goodness.   Now forget the fact that i was hurt badly, doctors were unsure of the damage done to my Gord, my head and face was tore up pretty severely.  At the time I wasn't in a position to understand it, but it was the care givers and loved ones and true friends that you should consider the lid for as well as your own safety.

Just my thoughts on this post the accident.   I can also tell you that this accident had such an impact on the people I ride with, that ALL wear helmets now and its due to them having been through / seeing what happened to me and the vivid memories of me lying there on the road in the hospital.

-harry

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 05:35:51 PM »

2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
  • It's called Sanity, but maybe it's me that's crazy
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

Hey Ya'll-

Thank you all for your kind words and appreciation.  In reading your posts in reply to my original post, it made me realize that I left something very important out.

I didn't know Dave or his wife Ann, but I did attend the funeral.  It turns out that he only lived about 45 minutes away, and I felt as though I needed to go to see his wife Ann, to give my condolences and to obtain some sense of closure myself.  After so many years being called to action while on duty, this one happened off duty, while on the scoot myself, with my wife, and at a bike week event.  This is all supposed to be good times right?  Anyway, when we're called out on duty, there is some sense of preparedness, dispatch tells us where we're going, a description of the incident and any other details they can provide... at least we have some forewarning, some time, even if only a minute, in the apparatus to prepare.  When this happened, it just wasn't right... wrong time, wrong place, wrong, wrong, wrong... we were just dropped into it, whamo.  I mean, it's not like I haven't been off duty and had to do things before, but nothing to this scale and especially not another biker, just enjoying a weekend with his wife at the same event as us, staying at the same place, etc, etc.  Too many similarities that make you think.

Dave was 62.
He had 6 children, 24 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren.
He was Army Special Forces in his younger years.
He had many friends.

There were 6 easels at his funeral with pictures pasted on poster board of Dave with his family, friends, at home, vacations, on his bike, at bike weeks.......

But what really stood out was a letter pasted to one of the easels, in the middle, with pictures of his life surrounding the letter.  The letter was from one of his grand-daughters who was 7...

It read...

"Pappy-
I'll miss you.  Why did you have to go away.
I know you are still watching over me,
but I really wish you were still here to hug me.
I Love You Pappy,
Samantha"

I think Samantha said it all.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 10:09:22 PM »

I was not going to respond to this post, but since I had read it to "V" I have come back to reread a few times. I have thought about this incident over and over and wasn't even there. V was right it brought back a bad memory for both of us.

To Dave may he rest in peace. I am sure he went while doing one of the things he loved best, and to his wife I wish her the best. I like most know that time will heal this pain.

I was surprised "V" even posted about an incident that had really upset me. I actually forgot I had even told her about it. For most that don't know me I work in the busiest fire department per capita in the world. It's not something I talk about much to anyone unless I have had a few drinks. Still even then it needs to be pried out of me so to speak. Like others on this site that are in the same profession as I am all I can say is, I LOVE MY JOB and I am sure they feel the same way. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 10:58:03 PM »

Hey Ya'll-

Thank you all for your kind words and appreciation.
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 11:34:14 PM »

I was not going to respond to this post, but since I had read it to "V" I have come back to reread a few times. I have thought about this incident over and over and wasn't even there. V was right it brought back a bad memory for both of us.

To Dave may he rest in peace. I am sure he went while doing one of the things he loved best, and to his wife I wish her the best. I like most know that time will heal this pain.

I was surprised "V" even posted about an incident that had really upset me. I actually forgot I had even told her about it. For most that don't know me I work in the busiest fire department per capita in the world. It's not something I talk about much to anyone unless I have had a few drinks. Still even then it needs to be pried out of me so to speak. Like others on this site that are in the same profession as I am all I can say is, I LOVE MY JOB and I am sure they feel the same way. Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
God Speed DAWG....  I am not in your profession, but, close enough my friend

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »

God Speed DAWG....
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 10:12:33 AM »

.....I feel for Rebel right now. Brother if you need anything call " THE DAWG "

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Rebel,
That goes for me also if you need anything you can give me a call. Just PM'd you my cell phone #.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:13:35 AM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Rebel

• Full CVO Member
  • It's called Sanity, but maybe it's me that's crazy
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 12:43:39 PM »

V, DC & FireDood-

Thank you.

V- my wife, Theresa, is doing ok.  It was hard for her to get back on the scoot, and she's still pretty spooked.  Our 12 year old daughter and I did about 500 miles together up in the Allegheny National Forest last weekend.  I swear my wife called every hour to check on us.  It will take time, but it's also a lesson and should never be forgotten in that sense.

DC & FireDood- Thank you both.  I'm ok, just a little off my game right now.  Just can't seem to get this one outta my head.  I know both of you are unfortunately too aware of what I mean.  I really appreciate your offers, I know I have two real brothers here.  Thank you.

Later-
The "Rebel"
343 Never Forget

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 01:02:29 PM »

Wow. If anyone reading this thread wondered why they should wear a helmet, they should know now.

Harry, I didn't realize how bad your crash was.  Glad you're on the good mend.

Several years ago I lost a good friend to head injuries after a slow speed get-off, no helmet.  Slid into a car at a stop, fell backwards, hit the back of his noggin on the asphalt.  He was alive, but 'out of it' for 1 1/2 years before he finally succumbed.

Me... I've always worn a half-helmet.  Guess I'm gonna go get at least a 3/4 now....  A shield will mess with my cigar smoking while riding, but... I guess that's not a bad thing.

Ride safe. (Said that so many times, but this time it feels different)
Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 06:01:15 PM »

Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

Hogfn

• Full CVO Member
  • FINALLY!!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »

All of this makes me question once again if it's smart to ride with my lovely wife as a passenger. Many folks I know don't ride that way figuring if they were to go down, both "parents" would be at risk. One option would be to never travel on the bike together or for her to ride her own bike.  In our case, the second option is not an option at the moment because she would require much practice since she has never ridden.  Last summer, I rode from VA to MI to meet my family and we returned together.  During the return trim, my wife rode with me periodicaly while the kids followed behind in the mini-van.  An image passed thru my mind several times of us going down or being involved in an accident with all of this being witnessed by our own children......am I showing my age (mortality)?
2014 SE
2005 Cherry SE
SE Air Cleaner
PC III
Freedom Exhaust and Pipes

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 08:40:56 PM »

All of this makes me question once again if it's smart to ride with my lovely wife as a passenger. Many folks I know don't ride that way figuring if they were to go down, both "parents" would be at risk. One option would be to never travel on the bike together or for her to ride her own bike.  In our case, the second option is not an option at the moment because she would require much practice since she has never ridden.  Last summer, I rode from VA to MI to meet my family and we returned together.  During the return trim, my wife rode with me periodicaly while the kids followed behind in the mini-van.  An image passed thru my mind several times of us going down or being involved in an accident with all of this being witnessed by our own children......am I showing my age (mortality)?
What you have said has a lot of merit. My wife often thinks of the same thing when we ride, and has on several occasions talked to me about it. Subconsciously I'm probably somewhat glad that she doesn't desire to ride as much as I do because of the fact that an accident has the potential to take us both from our children and grandchildren. Nothing wrong with showing your age or mortality as you put it, makes for a more cautious/safe rider. I would not dare do the things I did on a scooter twenty years ago today, and even cringe when I think of some of the things I did. [smiley=nervous.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.