Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: am I crazy  (Read 1777 times)

06 flstfise

am I crazy
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:08 AM »

I am looking at getting rid of my 06 fatboy with 45k that I have owned since new to get either a 2000 or 01 SERG. I know both have the MM FI and cam tensioner issues,but besides that what are some other issues. I do a 50/50 mix of city and trip riding. Let please let me know if I am crazy to do this or not.  Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: am I crazy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »

Getting what you like is (rarely) crazy.  The old classic SERGs are great bikes. 

The cam tensioner concern is alleviated with regular maintenance.  Just pull the cam cover every 25k.  The early TC engines also had cam bearing issues.  This continued in to the 2000 model year.  Another issue with a relatively simple solution though (just change them and don't worry about it anymore).

The Marelli bikes scare some people off.  They aren't the boogeyman that many make them out to be anymore.  They can be serviced; it just takes someone that knows how and what to do.  The Marelli bikes do have their quirks.  There are options to get rid of the Marelli systems too.  Not cheap but it's a weekend chore if all the parts are in hand.

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
Re: am I crazy
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »

mine has a good tick in the front cyl somewhere,  as well as stumbling issue and lack of good throttle response,  and ideas for these issues.
Mavericks RC
MFFM