Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Aux Passing Lamps Install  (Read 30021 times)

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FHTCUSE6 Blue
    • CVO2: FLHRSE5 AE
Aux Passing Lamps Install
« on: July 26, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »

Waiting on turn signals to finish up installation of passing lamps on the RK and thought I would post my experience in case someone else is thinking about doing this.

I originally bought a set of the towel bar type passing lamps and installed them. The set I bought came with the visor type trim, which I wanted. I really liked the look of the passing lamps on my Ultra and couldn't get past that so I ordered the aux passing lamp brackets (69227-04A) and the hardware kit for my bike.  Thought I would be able to use the turn signals from the handlebars.

So, started the install, and made a few discoveries along the way. First one was that removing the right side turn signal from the handlebars was a little challenging, but just took the time to carefully disassemble the housing so I could get to the turn signal wiring. The passenger side did not require any disassembly...just grab the wire and gently pull it out.

Time for install now. First discovery was that the turn signals from the bars don't work with the kit.  Crap!  Had to go order those. Next, hey how do you connect the passing lamp bulbs?  Oh, no connectors included.  Grabbed the bulb wiring connectors off the other set.  Next, where are the bulb retaining rings??  Not included.  Oh well, I was going to use the visor style off the other set anyway.  Luckily I had bought and installed the (Delphi?) connector for the passing lamps when I put the towel bar lights on, because that is not included either. When installing the lamps to the brackets you need the Xtreme Access socket set to tighten the nuts, because they are up in a hole and have a wire coming through the nut.  Ne of the best tool purchases I have made. Glad I had them.

So now, all I need is my turn signals to get delivered so I can finish up and go for a ride. Love the look and think the bike should have come this way. 
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

Re: Aux Passing Lamps Install
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 05:58:17 PM »

My turn signals came in today, and here is the final result. Love it!
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »

Side view.  Not sure why my pics come out sideways....
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 06:36:17 AM »

They look great and they should be standard with touring bikes.

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »

They look great and they should be standard with touring bikes.

Thanks Aussie!  I agree.  Will be interesting to see how many FLHRSE5s end up with passing lamps. I am thinking Harley knew we would put them on and just saw it as another profit opportunity.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

ozrobo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 03:26:14 AM »

Looks the goods mate.....They should have been a standard feature also I thought.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

• CVO1: '13 CVO Road King, 100th Anniv FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: '13 Camaro
    • CVO3: F250 Super Duty
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 10:08:58 AM »

Hx2, that's awesome! I have wanted Aux passing lamps but was unsure of exactly what I need to complete the project.
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

BluesRunner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »

I'm gonna have to do this mod also. They should have come this way stock. Thanks for the write up. Looks really nice.
2011 SERGU
2013 Road King Screamin' Eagle - SOLD

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 05:40:47 PM »

Just ordered the passing lamps today. Must have  to make the SERK look right.      Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »

from the website " Road King® models equipped with windshield require separate purchase of Hardware Kit P/N 69235-04". Just to confirm, we will need to get the kit listed to be able to run the windshield?? That's what I'm reading and just wanted to be sure since Hx2 has already done this mod. I am still wondering what to do about the lamp connectors thou.
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »

I'll be doing this mod myself in about a week.  I ordered the hardware kit with everything, and will update once I start the install. 

Slight  :jack: here, but I installed the Truck Lite Phase 7 with the Kury Halo LED trim ring over the weekend.  The Halo LED ring install was NOT fun.  It looks nice, but if that ever has to be pulled apart down the road I think I'll lose what little hair I have left.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »

I'll be doing this mod myself in about a week.  I ordered the hardware kit with everything, and will update once I start the install. 

Slight  :jack: here, but I installed the Truck Lite Phase 7 with the Kury Halo LED trim ring over the weekend.  The Halo LED ring install was NOT fun.  It looks nice, but if that ever has to be pulled apart down the road I think I'll lose what little hair I have left.

I attempted to order the kit last week and they said it was on backorder until today. I will be doing this mod myself too. I'm a DIY kinda guy :)

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »

I put the order in with Tri-County (Rebecca) last week.  She told me that they were on back-order status, but that Harley was showing them coming in on 10/14.  When I called her today to add to the order, I asked her the status of the bracket kit, and it came up as being "allocated" which means that it should be coming to them in a day or two.  So, I might have been the lucky duck to get whatever was available.   :oops:

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:46:25 PM »

Looks stellar my friend!!  Great job

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »

What mine looks like with passing lamps. Next step, Fullsac stage one or similar...but waiting for the spring. Just riding with stock setup for now.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »

Different strokes I guess, the passing lamps were the first thing I remember removing from my old Road King Classic all those years ago.  Hard for me to believe someone would spend money to put them on, but different strokes....

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 01:13:35 AM »

You're right - different strokes.  A lot of us feel that the passing lamps are part of what makes a Road King what it is - and that they should have been on the CVO SERK in the first place.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »

Funny you mention this... I remember too that one of the first things I wanted to do was remove the aux lamps, now I buy a bike without them and all I want to do is put them on! It's madness I tell you  ;D

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »

Had a bud who owned an 2004 UC.  He took off the passing lights, made the tour pack "quick release" installed a short Memphis Shade, put on a Corbin seat, and did some engine mods, and "Abra-Cadabra" by 2006 he had a StreetGlide (sort of).  We had fun with that for a while.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »

Hey Hx2, Later this coming year I plan on installing a pair of cutom dynamics billet driving lights on a set of their caliper mounts and plan on wiring them to the unused switch on my 2013 SERK. My aux switch is already being used for heated seat. Did you wire your driving lamps to the unused switch. Does the unused switch already have power coming to one side of it? Thanks in advance for any help.

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »

What mine looks like with passing lamps. Next step, Fullsac stage one or similar...but waiting for the spring. Just riding with stock setup for now.

Dude, I mean this in the nicest way.....those mirrors gotta go man!!

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »

I don't take it personally...
You mean the rear view mirrors or the passing lamps. Planning to switch the handlebars anyway. Will do the rear view mirrors then for sure. Thinking of 14" apes.

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »

Another picture from behind...

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »

I originally bought a set of the towel bar type passing lamps and installed them. The set I bought came with the visor type trim, which I wanted. I really liked the look of the passing lamps on my Ultra and couldn't get past that so I ordered the aux passing lamp brackets (69227-04A) and the hardware kit for my bike.  Thought I would be able to use the turn signals from the handlebars.

Does anyone know of an after market kit that has everything needed (including wiring schematic) for this mod? I would like to add these to my 2013 SERK and having a few more options other than what the MOCO offers is always a good thing (as long as the quality is comparable or better).

Thanks,

Evo

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 07:28:36 AM »

from the website " Road King® models equipped with windshield require separate purchase of Hardware Kit P/N 69235-04". Just to confirm, we will need to get the kit listed to be able to run the windshield?? That's what I'm reading and just wanted to be sure since Hx2 has already done this mod. I am still wondering what to do about the lamp connectors thou.
Not complete so no picture, but I didn't use the windshield kit as mentioned and had no problems. I didn't use the kit from the catalog, but ordered the parts I needed from a '09 CUSE4 parts catalog. Bout the same cost and I knew exactly what I was getting cause the '09 was sitting 10' away.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »

Almost complete, top turn signals not removed.......yet.

Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 08:09:46 AM »

Have put the Harley passing lamps with or without the signals on a few Road Kings.  It's a different strokes for different folks thing as everyone's tastes can vary a bit but their are alternatives in the aftermarket if someone doesn't want the large passing lamps and prefers a size more mated to the look of the signal housings.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 08:10:09 AM »

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »

Not only very different, but looks great. Stands out in a crowd.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »

Not only very different, but looks great. Stands out in a crowd.  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks much.  I like the mounting bracket for the lights as much as the light also.  You use the Street Glide type signal mounts then have this big beefy billet piece that not only hangs the spotlights but also covers the bottom of the tree and hides the brake line.  Big honking pieces of chrome billet....  Gotta love it.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »

This is what I plan on going with from Custom Dynamics with the caliper mounts being chrome. Hopefully sometime this year. Along with an LED headlight.

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »

Boy T, I hope those reflectors fall off before you do the driving light install..........they gonna light up like a beacon!!

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »

Boy T, I hope those reflectors fall off before you do the driving light install..........they gonna light up like a beacon!!
LMAO Yeah I know huh? I have been planning on them falling off for a while now. I have to put new fishing line on all of my rods and reels when I get home from offshore. Looks like a good time for that old fishing line to get "tangled up in a yellow shiny thing causing it to fall off".

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »

In case anyone is interested, here is what was used for this setup:

73396-10A: Aux, lamps led 4 inch
69227-04A: custom passing lamp bracket kit
69230-04:   Amber t/s kit for custom aux
69235-04:   hc-hardware kit
73191-96 (8 of those): hc-receptacle, contact, 20-1
69200897: kit-wire harness, led hdlamp
68355-05: wire harness (2 of those)
68331-02: nest ring passing/pursuit lamp
68725-62A: (2 of those) ring, bezedl, lamp

Total of around $800 in parts + 380 labor.

Looks even better than in the picture.

Hope it helps...

JP

Hx2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »

JP, thanks very much for posting the complete parts list.  I am sure this will come in handy.
13 FLHRSE5 AE
11.5 FLHTCUSE6

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 04:58:53 PM »

To adjust these lamps you need a slotted 7/16th socket. I went to the MOCO and was told the wait was "probably 3-4 weeks, or more." WTH?? Tought of cuttin up a socket but a friend said that by doing so you weaken the socket making it worthless fro the task since you need to have some torque to tighten the mess up. Any thoughts or other than Snap-on (supposedly they have "em) any place you can get this little gem? Thanks.  :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »

To adjust these lamps you need a slotted 7/16th socket. I went to the MOCO and was told the wait was "probably 3-4 weeks, or more." WTH?? Tought of cuttin up a socket but a friend said that by doing so you weaken the socket making it worthless fro the task since you need to have some torque to tighten the mess up. Any thoughts or other than Snap-on (supposedly they have "em) any place you can get this little gem? Thanks.  :bananarock:

A notched socket will work just fine.  Have home made a couple.  Works fine. 

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »

A notched socket will work just fine.  Have home made a couple.  Works fine. 
Thanks. On my way to the grinder.  :bananarock:

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 07:33:05 PM »

Just for info, I used the passing lamps off a CUSE & it took a 9/16 socket  :nixweiss:. I did cut a 'V' notch with a dremel.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »

Hope it helps...

JP
:2vrolijk_21: Thank you

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »

Here's a question - why is it that both sets of wires (passing lamps and turns (if mounted)) can be hidden on an Ultra but not a Road King?  I went into my local HD dealer to pick up a part order, and saw a '14 CVO Ultra that caught my "just looking" interest.  I specifically started looking at the aux lighting brackets to see where they put the wires, and to my surprise, I saw none.  I looked at it for another minute, and went back to the parts counter to pick up my order.  On the way back towards the front, I passed several other regular Ultras that had the brackets with both passing and turns, and all of their wires were hidden too.  So, I'm wondering how they did it.  I could not get both the passing lamp and turn signal wires through the second half of that hole that runs through the body of the bracket.  By looking at others here that have them on their Kings, that seems to be the norm.  I don't necessarily want to tear mine apart, but if there was a way to get both wires in that hole so that the wires could have been hidden better I'll probably rip out what's left of my hair.   ???

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »

Here's a question - why is it that both sets of wires (passing lamps and turns (if mounted)) can be hidden on an Ultra but not a Road King?  I went into my local HD dealer to pick up a part order, and saw a '14 CVO Ultra that caught my "just looking" interest.  I specifically started looking at the aux lighting brackets to see where they put the wires, and to my surprise, I saw none.  I looked at it for another minute, and went back to the parts counter to pick up my order.  On the way back towards the front, I passed several other regular Ultras that had the brackets with both passing and turns, and all of their wires were hidden too.  So, I'm wondering how they did it.  I could not get both the passing lamp and turn signal wires through the second half of that hole that runs through the body of the bracket.  By looking at others here that have them on their Kings, that seems to be the norm.  I don't necessarily want to tear mine apart, but if there was a way to get both wires in that hole so that the wires could have been hidden better I'll probably rip out what's left of my hair.   ???

The mounting brackets on the Ultra are slightly larger and the wire tunnel was made to take all the wires. I ordered passing lamps for an Ultra only because I had the parts book for my '09 CUSE. Lucky move as I had no idea they were different.

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »

I'm surprised they are different. I thought the brackets were for all touring models. But you're right, looking closely I can see the Ultra brackets are different.  I think I finally realize that all Ultras come with those brackets, while the custom auxiliary brackets are something that can be used for several different models. Hindsight is always 20/20, because if I knew then what I know now I would have ordered the Ultra brackets instead.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »

QUESTION....
I was just wondering... what if I only wanted the aux lights and not the turn signals? Would it work to use this kit and just omit the turn lamps? I saw in a photo that there is a threaded stud on the bottom of each bracket, but maybe this could simply be removed?

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 11:56:24 PM »

Hope it helps...

JP
Thanks for that info, just ordered parts today and will install BR's 14'' bars at the same time next week...it is expensive man...

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »

QUESTION....
I was just wondering... what if I only wanted the aux lights and not the turn signals? Would it work to use this kit and just omit the turn lamps? I saw in a photo that there is a threaded stud on the bottom of each bracket, but maybe this could simply be removed?

There is no stud on the CUSE passing lamp bracket, however there is a hole just behind where the lamp housing mounts. Before I moved my turns, I simply put a short chrome taper head machine screw & nut to fill it. There is a valley for the turn standoff, but that doesn't show unless you are laying on your back. Bar assembly part # is left - 68836-04a, right - 68837-04a. $85 at 20% dealer. Should you decide, it is easy to add turns later. You can use your existing mount hardware and mount any style spot you want. 

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »

Thanks 2k, Exactly what I want to do. I know that after awhile I will want to add the turns and get them off of the bars.

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2014, 11:42:29 PM »

got my bars and lights installed , bars are BR's 14''

schmidtdog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 05:07:24 PM »

Passing lamps look great!! I just purchased the same bike, and was thinking about doing the same thing. Do you know if the passing lamps will fit with the stock windshield? Also, was considering having the passing lamp housings painted orange and leaving the trim rings chrome to match the nacelle/headlight. Thoughts? (Kinda wondering if it would be too much orange.)

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »

I'm assuming you purchased the Tribal Orange model and not the Green based on your reference to painting the passing lamp housings orange.  I think it would look good.  I think there was at least one other member that did that to their 14 SERK, but you would need to search through the last year's threads in this board to see if I'm remembering correctly or not.

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »

Passing lamps look great!! I just purchased the same bike, and was thinking about doing the same thing. Do you know if the passing lamps will fit with the stock windshield? Also, was considering having the passing lamp housings painted orange and leaving the trim rings chrome to match the nacelle/headlight. Thoughts? (Kinda wondering if it would be too much orange.)
If you are talking about CVO stock windshield yes it fits you can see in my pic. About painting I don't know it is your bike and if you like it go for it and paint it, being different nothing wrong with that.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »

parts have arrived!!! Install tomorrow...

schmidtdog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »

T-Roy,
Was wondering if you had a chance to test out those passing lamps yet. I just purchased a 2014 CVO RK, and I want to add some lighting, but not necessarily the Harley passing lamps as I kinda like the clean look of the bike. Are they pretty bright? Do they help much at night, or are they more or less marker lights so the cagers can see you.
Thanks

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »

I have not tried them yet. Hopefully this June. There is a video of the on customdynamics.com and they look really bright.

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 06:56:25 AM »

I have not tried them yet. Hopefully this June. There is a video of the on customdynamics.com and they look really bright.

Lots of members here use Motolights, http://www.motolight.com/motorcycle-lights. Personally I like the look of the 3 bulb setup that T-Roy has better.

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »

black aux lamp kit    180.00 shipped/ new in box
bulbs                        55.00 new halogen clear lens
hardware kit             17.00 from dealer
bezels                      26.00  new
misc shipping           10.00
-------------------------------------------
                            $ 288.00 total  !!!  I will not charge myself labor  ;D
I have not bought the turn signals lamps yet.. they seem to be about $60.00ish. I should have just pulled the trigger on those  ;)
----
Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit-68000043

Part Number 68000043

$329.95

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:34:36 PM by RoadMonkey »

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »

a couple photos.. not great pics, but best I have right now:

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2014, 06:08:14 PM »

how they look from my pov....

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2014, 07:30:28 PM »

here is a front view

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »

Monkey, that looks fantastic!  On your bike, the chrome housings would not look half as good as that.  Perfect combination of black and chrome to flow with the rest of your bike!  Actually, it looks like it rolled out of MoCo that way - and you can't get any better on a mod than that!

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

Monkey, that looks fantastic!  On your bike, the chrome housings would not look half as good as that.  Perfect combination of black and chrome to flow with the rest of your bike!  Actually, it looks like it rolled out of MoCo that way - and you can't get any better on a mod than that!
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. I thought I might pull off the black, but it doesn't seem like a good idea on the blue or burgundy 2013's. Not sure why the P&A only shows the black aux lights. I was going for the chrome lights(not listed for the '13), but I am more then happy with the end result!

King2013

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »

I'm finishing this install tomorrow, both the aux switches have wires connected to them. I haven't put anything on those switches so I'm wondering what they would be weird to. I traced them from the switches to the main harness. I can't figure out where to tap in for the aux lights. Of course the instructions didn't come with a wiring diagram.
Can anyone enlighten me on where I tie these in?  Thanks

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »

I'm finishing this install tomorrow, both the aux switches have wires connected to them. I haven't put anything on those switches so I'm wondering what they would be weird to. I traced them from the switches to the main harness. I can't figure out where to tap in for the aux lights. Of course the instructions didn't come with a wiring diagram.
Can anyone enlighten me on where I tie these in?  Thanks
Instructions would be way too easy!! =)  Right side switch (I consider the throttle side the right side) Look for a smaller square white connector in the headlamp bucket area..it will have 2 wires that are both gray with a black stripe. This is your power wires. There should be a male end already clipped in to it for you to install terminal ends. I hope I have worded this in a way that helps.

King2013

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2014, 07:49:48 AM »

Instructions would be way too easy!! =)  Right side switch (I consider the throttle side the right side) Look for a smaller square white connector in the headlamp bucket area..it will have 2 wires that are both gray with a black stripe. This is your power wires. There should be a male end already clipped in to it for you to install terminal ends. I hope I have worded this in a way that helps.

I was hoping that was the connector. Then I guess the other sides switch is the black connector.
Thanks.

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »

Just so you will know, the right side is hot ONLY with the headlight on low beam. To me this was counterproductive, so I rewired the feed to stay hot at all times. Had to cut a wire, but when done with solder & shrink tube it looks proffesional & will last forever. I NEVER use crimp sleeves as most will cause problems later. If you must use sleeves, use the ones that are made for harsh enviornments.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »

I was hoping that was the connector. Then I guess the other sides switch is the black connector.
Thanks.
The left side switch goes to the accessory connector under the seat.

King2013

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »

Just so you will know, the right side is hot ONLY with the headlight on low beam. To me this was counterproductive, so I rewired the feed to stay hot at all times. Had to cut a wire, but when done with solder & shrink tube it looks proffesional & will last forever. I NEVER use crimp sleeves as most will cause problems later. If you must use sleeves, use the ones that are made for harsh enviornments.
Ok, I want more on when the switch is on too.
So could you give me the details on that mod.
Thanks again

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »

The easiest way would be to use the left aux switch if you are not using it for anything else. You need a meter to verify which wire feeds back under the seat and cut it and tie your aux lites to it, hot all the time through switch and fused. I installed LED aux lights, so I used the low beam circuit, remove the switch feed from the high beam and place it on the low. Hallogen lights would most likely be to much draw and you would need a dedicated circuit

King2013

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »

The easiest way would be to use the left aux switch if you are not using it for anything else. You need a meter to verify which wire feeds back under the seat and cut it and tie your aux lites to it, hot all the time through switch and fused. I installed LED aux lights, so I used the low beam circuit, remove the switch feed from the high beam and place it on the low. Hallogen lights would most likely be to much draw and you would need a dedicated circuit

I'll be using the standard hd bulbs. I'm not using the key switch for anything else so I'll use that one. I see there's another connector which I believe is coming from the left switch,  it's black and like the white one has the male terminal ends to it with a gray and black wire in it.
I'm going to check these wires for always on and hopefully be good to go.
Thanks for all the help.!
This board is a great source for information.

King2013

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this post.
I found the lead for the left switch,  2 orange wires in a white connector in the headlight bucket as well. Aux lights always on when the switch is on.
Also left the signals operational on the bars too for now.
Pics to follow later.

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 11:58:38 PM »

Nice job, King2013. That's not too fun running the wiring over for the Passing Lamps to have constant power, but worth it to have them on with the Hi-beam.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »

T-Roy,
Was wondering if you had a chance to test out those passing lamps yet. I just purchased a 2014 CVO RK, and I want to add some lighting, but not necessarily the Harley passing lamps as I kinda like the clean look of the bike. Are they pretty bright? Do they help much at night, or are they more or less marker lights so the cagers can see you.
Thanks

WooHOO I just picked up a pair of those Custom Dynamics cool magic billet bullet LED aux lights on EBAY. Brand spanking new fow a $62.55 savings.

CalmSeasQuest

• 2013 SERK #254/900
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust / Obsidian
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »

Nice job, King2013. That's not too fun running the wiring over for the Passing Lamps to have constant power, but worth it to have them on with the Hi-beam.
+1 Love having the ability to keep passing lights on with high beams - Lots of LED :)

-Tom

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

Hope it helps...
JP

Any SERK owner getting ready to do this, I have 2 new nest rings & 2 new lamp bezels that I will donate to the project. I'm sure it will all fit in a 6 buck priority box. Hit me with a PM if you can use them.                         Jimmy

King2013

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »

Pic as promised.

A new dilemma has risen, I have someone whom may be interested in buying the bike now. Of course right after I installed these, the highway pegs and the catless head pipe. They will be removed unless the buyer wants to pay extra for them. They're not in the ad and since I figure I'm probably going to have it this season I'm not taking them off until I have a solid commitment from a buyer.
Is always something.

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »

Smart move King!! Hope your's goes smooth, but you know that lot's of "I'll take it's" turn into "Something came up, sorry" Get some commit money if you can..........and don't change sumtin you like.

King2013

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2014, 12:27:40 AM »

Smart move King!! Hope your's goes smooth, but you know that lot's of "I'll take it's" turn into "Something came up, sorry" Get some commit money if you can..........and don't change sumtin you like.

I hear that.  I'm not changing anything until we're on the way to the dealer.
I don't want the commitment money for that very reason. I won't even take a deposit.
If someone comes along with the cash it goes, not going to lose a possible sale over a deposit.

If it don't sell by the 30th from the time I got the approval to buy the new bike I'm not going to sell it.
Might as well put some miles on it to justify done of the loss. Besides, I don't want to run another app and we'll be into June in 2 months so I'll just wait to see what 2015 brings, hopefully it'll be worth the wait.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 21 queries.