Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Aux Passing Lamps Install  (Read 30077 times)

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

• CVO1: '13 CVO Road King, 100th Anniv FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: '13 Camaro
    • CVO3: F250 Super Duty
Re: Aux Passing Lamps Install
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

Monkey, that looks fantastic!  On your bike, the chrome housings would not look half as good as that.  Perfect combination of black and chrome to flow with the rest of your bike!  Actually, it looks like it rolled out of MoCo that way - and you can't get any better on a mod than that!
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. I thought I might pull off the black, but it doesn't seem like a good idea on the blue or burgundy 2013's. Not sure why the P&A only shows the black aux lights. I was going for the chrome lights(not listed for the '13), but I am more then happy with the end result!
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

King2013

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »

I'm finishing this install tomorrow, both the aux switches have wires connected to them. I haven't put anything on those switches so I'm wondering what they would be weird to. I traced them from the switches to the main harness. I can't figure out where to tap in for the aux lights. Of course the instructions didn't come with a wiring diagram.
Can anyone enlighten me on where I tie these in?  Thanks

RoadMonkey

• formerly maddog360
  • Full CVO Member
  • that's how we do it

• CVO1: '13 CVO Road King, 100th Anniv FLHRSE5
    • CVO2: '13 Camaro
    • CVO3: F250 Super Duty
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2014, 12:33:46 AM »

I'm finishing this install tomorrow, both the aux switches have wires connected to them. I haven't put anything on those switches so I'm wondering what they would be weird to. I traced them from the switches to the main harness. I can't figure out where to tap in for the aux lights. Of course the instructions didn't come with a wiring diagram.
Can anyone enlighten me on where I tie these in?  Thanks
Instructions would be way too easy!! =)  Right side switch (I consider the throttle side the right side) Look for a smaller square white connector in the headlamp bucket area..it will have 2 wires that are both gray with a black stripe. This is your power wires. There should be a male end already clipped in to it for you to install terminal ends. I hope I have worded this in a way that helps.
"It's All Good" FLHRSE5 110th anniversary, aka.. Road King. bars, Vance & Hines Monster Rounds, H-D Aux light kit, saddlebag guards, always having something else powder coated to black ;) ,  Sundowner seat(when ride is 400+ miles per day)... -aka Todd

King2013

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2014, 07:49:48 AM »

Instructions would be way too easy!! =)  Right side switch (I consider the throttle side the right side) Look for a smaller square white connector in the headlamp bucket area..it will have 2 wires that are both gray with a black stripe. This is your power wires. There should be a male end already clipped in to it for you to install terminal ends. I hope I have worded this in a way that helps.

I was hoping that was the connector. Then I guess the other sides switch is the black connector.
Thanks.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »

Just so you will know, the right side is hot ONLY with the headlight on low beam. To me this was counterproductive, so I rewired the feed to stay hot at all times. Had to cut a wire, but when done with solder & shrink tube it looks proffesional & will last forever. I NEVER use crimp sleeves as most will cause problems later. If you must use sleeves, use the ones that are made for harsh enviornments.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »

I was hoping that was the connector. Then I guess the other sides switch is the black connector.
Thanks.
The left side switch goes to the accessory connector under the seat.

King2013

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »

Just so you will know, the right side is hot ONLY with the headlight on low beam. To me this was counterproductive, so I rewired the feed to stay hot at all times. Had to cut a wire, but when done with solder & shrink tube it looks proffesional & will last forever. I NEVER use crimp sleeves as most will cause problems later. If you must use sleeves, use the ones that are made for harsh enviornments.
Ok, I want more on when the switch is on too.
So could you give me the details on that mod.
Thanks again

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »

The easiest way would be to use the left aux switch if you are not using it for anything else. You need a meter to verify which wire feeds back under the seat and cut it and tie your aux lites to it, hot all the time through switch and fused. I installed LED aux lights, so I used the low beam circuit, remove the switch feed from the high beam and place it on the low. Hallogen lights would most likely be to much draw and you would need a dedicated circuit
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

King2013

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »

The easiest way would be to use the left aux switch if you are not using it for anything else. You need a meter to verify which wire feeds back under the seat and cut it and tie your aux lites to it, hot all the time through switch and fused. I installed LED aux lights, so I used the low beam circuit, remove the switch feed from the high beam and place it on the low. Hallogen lights would most likely be to much draw and you would need a dedicated circuit

I'll be using the standard hd bulbs. I'm not using the key switch for anything else so I'll use that one. I see there's another connector which I believe is coming from the left switch,  it's black and like the white one has the male terminal ends to it with a gray and black wire in it.
I'm going to check these wires for always on and hopefully be good to go.
Thanks for all the help.!
This board is a great source for information.

King2013

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this post.
I found the lead for the left switch,  2 orange wires in a white connector in the headlight bucket as well. Aux lights always on when the switch is on.
Also left the signals operational on the bars too for now.
Pics to follow later.

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 11:58:38 PM »

Nice job, King2013. That's not too fun running the wiring over for the Passing Lamps to have constant power, but worth it to have them on with the Hi-beam.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2014, 12:13:48 PM »

T-Roy,
Was wondering if you had a chance to test out those passing lamps yet. I just purchased a 2014 CVO RK, and I want to add some lighting, but not necessarily the Harley passing lamps as I kinda like the clean look of the bike. Are they pretty bright? Do they help much at night, or are they more or less marker lights so the cagers can see you.
Thanks

WooHOO I just picked up a pair of those Custom Dynamics cool magic billet bullet LED aux lights on EBAY. Brand spanking new fow a $62.55 savings.

CalmSeasQuest

• 2013 SERK #254/900
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust / Obsidian
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »

Nice job, King2013. That's not too fun running the wiring over for the Passing Lamps to have constant power, but worth it to have them on with the Hi-beam.
+1 Love having the ability to keep passing lights on with high beams - Lots of LED :)

-Tom

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

In case anyone is interested, here is what was used for this setup:

73396-10A: Aux, lamps led 4 inch
69227-04A: custom passing lamp bracket kit
69230-04:   Amber t/s kit for custom aux
69235-04:   hc-hardware kit
73191-96 (8 of those): hc-receptacle, contact, 20-1
69200897: kit-wire harness, led hdlamp
68355-05: wire harness (2 of those)
68331-02: nest ring passing/pursuit lamp
68725-62A: (2 of those) ring, bezedl, lamp

Total of around $800 in parts + 380 labor.
Looks even better than in the picture.
Hope it helps...
JP

Any SERK owner getting ready to do this, I have 2 new nest rings & 2 new lamp bezels that I will donate to the project. I'm sure it will all fit in a 6 buck priority box. Hit me with a PM if you can use them.                         Jimmy

King2013

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »

Pic as promised.

A new dilemma has risen, I have someone whom may be interested in buying the bike now. Of course right after I installed these, the highway pegs and the catless head pipe. They will be removed unless the buyer wants to pay extra for them. They're not in the ad and since I figure I'm probably going to have it this season I'm not taking them off until I have a solid commitment from a buyer.
Is always something.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 22 queries.