Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Your Thoughtd on the 2014 SERK  (Read 5873 times)

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
Your Thoughtd on the 2014 SERK
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »

Interested in your thoughts on the New 2014 CVO Road King.

I had a chance the other day to look one over up close.
It looks to me that HD decided that Less should cost More, unless you like Black Paint.

It appears that HD decided that the iPod, Lowers with Speakers and Saddlebag Lids with Speakers wasn't a big seller. Hd has removed them from the 2014 SERK
If you are into Blacked out, you should be happy with the new 2014 SERK, it has plenty of it.
Handlebars, Mirrors, Master Cylinders, Fron Turn Signals, Trans Cover, Primary Cover etc etc.
Sorry, I am one who prefers "Chrome", not Blacked Out.
HD has also painted the Nacelle as well as the Upeer Slides. anothe No Sale for me.

Had HD kept the lowers, one could believe that they could have offered the Twin Cooled TC 110.

HD has also cut the Bottom Inner side of the saddlebags, so that they no longer match other FLHs
Where the bottom is hollowed out for the Bag Support Bar, from that point Inboard the bottom is straigh across, it no longer goes back down again to match the outside half of the bottom.

I like my CVO with HD Chrome Bling, so for me 2014 SERK is out.

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Your Thoughtd on the 2014 SERK
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »

This has come up in other threads in different ways Dennis.  It is, of course, very much a question of one's personal tastes for a given model.  But, personally, I don't agree.  More accurately our visions of what is a Road King don't merge.

To me (and this from a guy with many many things hung on a Road King....) a Road King isn't a bike with all the extra stuff hung on it.  The lowers and audio and some of the other over-the-top bits make it a Street King or a Road King with Street Glide Pretensions.... or something.  But it's not a Road King. 

Having started early with Road Kings and always liking the bike and my personal idea of it the Road King is simple construct and a straightforward idea.  It's a big bike with bags that can go all day long.  It's uncomplicated. 

To me the iteration of the SERK with the audios and the lowers was... something... something nice even.  But it was never a Road King.  A Street Glide they forgot to put the fairing on?  A Street Glide whose fairing shrunk down to windshield size in a hot water wash and dry?  I'm not really sure what it was intended to be.  But it was never a true Road King to my eyes.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »

Interested in your thoughts on the New 2014 CVO Road King.

I had a chance the other day to look one over up close.
It looks to me that HD decided that Less should cost More, unless you like Black Paint.

It appears that HD decided that the iPod, Lowers with Speakers and Saddlebag Lids with Speakers wasn't a big seller. Hd has removed them from the 2014 SERK
If you are into Blacked out, you should be happy with the new 2014 SERK, it has plenty of it.
Handlebars, Mirrors, Master Cylinders, Fron Turn Signals, Trans Cover, Primary Cover etc etc.
Sorry, I am one who prefers "Chrome", not Blacked Out.
HD has also painted the Nacelle as well as the Upeer Slides. anothe No Sale for me.

Had HD kept the lowers, one could believe that they could have offered the Twin Cooled TC 110.

HD has also cut the Bottom Inner side of the saddlebags, so that they no longer match other FLHs
Where the bottom is hollowed out for the Bag Support Bar, from that point Inboard the bottom is straigh across, it no longer goes back down again to match the outside half of the bottom.

I like my CVO with HD Chrome Bling, so for me 2014 SERK is out.

DR

I agree with you on all points... Except your last one about the bags... See below.

Apparently a lot of folks here like the '14 SERK because it's stripped down and somehow more what a RK "should" be. I disagree with that... Perhaps a regular RK should be that, but I expect a lot more in a SERK... especially since it had all of the stuff in '13.

Thinking about that, I have realized that since the new Touring bikes are all CANBUS, I am thinking that they just didn't have the time nor resources to engineer an audio system on the '14 SERK to go with the new CANBUS ECM. Or perhaps it simply wasn't a high enough priority for them to do so.

Also, I think we will see the Twin Cooling on all Touring CVOs in 2015... SE Limited, SERG, SESG, or SERK. If it works well on the SE Limited, I suspect they will put it across the CVO Touring line... and likely the regular Touring line, too. That would mean lowers on all Touring bikes... unless they develop another configuration of a radiator to sit in front of the engine on the frame or something for bikes like the SG, RG, and RK without lowers.

You said that the inside of the bags doesn't go down like the outside does. The bags on my FLHXSE3 don't go down on the inside part either... only on the outside. They can't go down on the inside edge because that's where the muffler cutout is. Here's a pic of my left bag with my usual bottle of oil sitting down in the outside edge where it drops down. The inside edge just goes straight across... over the muffler. The '14 SERK bag bottoms look just like my '12 SESG bags do.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »

Apparently a lot of folks here like the '14 SERK because it's stripped down and somehow more what a RK "should" be. I disagree with that... Perhaps a regular RK should be that, but I expect a lot more in a SERK... especially since it had all of the stuff in '13.

Ok, now you've gone and hurt my feelings....  Dammit.  I'm sensitive don't ya know....

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »

This has come up in other threads in different ways Dennis.  It is, of course, very much a question of one's personal tastes for a given model.  But, personally, I don't agree.  More accurately our visions of what is a Road King don't merge.

To me (and this from a guy with many many things hung on a Road King....) a Road King isn't a bike with all the extra stuff hung on it.  The lowers and audio and some of the other over-the-top bits make it a Street King or a Road King with Street Glide Pretensions.... or something.  But it's not a Road King. 

Having started early with Road Kings and always liking the bike and my personal idea of it the Road King is simple construct and a straightforward idea.  It's a big bike with bags that can go all day long.  It's uncomplicated. 

To me the iteration of the SERK with the audios and the lowers was... something... something nice even.  But it was never a Road King.  A Street Glide they forgot to put the fairing on?  A Street Glide whose fairing shrunk down to windshield size in a hot water wash and dry?  I'm not really sure what it was intended to be.  But it was never a true Road King to my eyes.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this point...

The SG also NEVER had lowers until the '11 SESG came out with lowers with the speakers. The '10 SESG had no lowers.

SO, following your logic here... if the '13 SERK is an "SG Pretender" on which they forgot to put a fairing... then the '11/'12 SESGs are "Ultra Pretenders" on which they forgot to put a Tour Pak and passenger foot boards!

Now, I'm sure that you're not meaning to call the Honey Badger an "Ultra Pretender"... when I've gone to such effort to make it look SO much like a "NOT AN ULTRA"!  ;D

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »

Ok, now you've gone and hurt my feelings....  Dammit.  I'm sensitive don't ya know....

LOL! Let's just act like a couple of angry monkeys and throw CHITBALLS at each other for the rest of the afternoon! It'll be FUN!  :2vrolijk_21:

You may fire when ready...  :rifle:  But Honey Badger STILL don't care!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »

LOL! Let's just act like a couple of angry monkeys and throw CHITBALLS at each other for the rest of the afternoon! It'll be FUN!  :2vrolijk_21:

You may fire when ready...  :rifle:  But Honey Badger STILL don't care!

Ken

Ok.  But my dad could beat up your dad.  (yes, he's dead, don't bore me with details!)

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »

Ok.  But my dad could beat up your dad.  (yes, he's dead, don't bore me with details!)

Now THAT would be interesting... my dad's dead too. So much for a fight to the death... :skull:

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

Ok, now you've gone and hurt my feelings....  Dammit.  I'm sensitive don't ya know....

Don, I was never interested in the Saddlebags with Speakers, The lowrs with Speakers or the iPod. No selling point for me.

What I am really displeased with is a Blacked Out CVO. I like the Chrome, NOT Black Paint.

I only mentioned the lowers as they had them in 2013. Seems like a likely progression to leave them, Nix the Speakers and add the cooling system.

DR

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:26:29 PM by Dead_Reckoning »

Power Commander 3 Tuner

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »

Don, I was never interested in the Saddlebags with Speakers, The lowrs with Speakers or the iPod. No selling point for me.

What I am really displeades with is a Blacked Out CVO. I like the Chrome, NOT Black Paint.

I only mentioned the lowers as they had them in 2013. Seems like a likely progression to leave them, Nix the Speakers and add the cooling system.

DR

There we completely agree.   Chrome whore from way back.   There are no steps for a recovery either.   To hell with it.  I like chrome.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »

Now THAT would be interesting... my dad's dead too. So much for a fight to the death... :skull:

Ken

It would certainly be a Bone Shaking Experience.

Power Commander 3 Tuner

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »

Spew score today:

Site           1
Twolane   0

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »

There we completely agree.   Chrome whore from way back.   There are no steps for a recovery either.   To hell with it.  I like chrome.

:0) - Since I was able to recognize different Automobiles by the Chrome Grill, Trim, Taillights and bumpers, I have been hooked on Chrome.

To me, this year's Blacked out look would be like painting all the brightwork and Brass on a Fine Ship or Sailing Craft.

Power Commander 3 Tuner

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »

Nope... Not that either. My dad was CREMATED. It would merely be a little dust up...

I'm probably going to HELL for this!

:0) - Since I was able to recognize different Automobiles by the Chrome Grill, Trim, Taillights and bumpers, I have been hooked on Chrome.

To me, this year's Blacked out look would be like painting all the brightwork and Brass on a Fine Ship or Sailing Craft.

On the blacked out look, we can all three agree. I am a CHROME WHORE too... as should be rather obvious from my sig pic! And Don is quite correct... there is NO recovery from Chromaholism!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »

I just went back and looked at all of the 2014 CVOs. Apparently MoCo "Only" felt the need to Black Out the SERK. All od the other 2014 CVOs have our fix of CHROME.

DR

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.