Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Your Thoughtd on the 2014 SERK  (Read 5872 times)

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
Your Thoughtd on the 2014 SERK
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »

Interested in your thoughts on the New 2014 CVO Road King.

I had a chance the other day to look one over up close.
It looks to me that HD decided that Less should cost More, unless you like Black Paint.

It appears that HD decided that the iPod, Lowers with Speakers and Saddlebag Lids with Speakers wasn't a big seller. Hd has removed them from the 2014 SERK
If you are into Blacked out, you should be happy with the new 2014 SERK, it has plenty of it.
Handlebars, Mirrors, Master Cylinders, Fron Turn Signals, Trans Cover, Primary Cover etc etc.
Sorry, I am one who prefers "Chrome", not Blacked Out.
HD has also painted the Nacelle as well as the Upeer Slides. anothe No Sale for me.

Had HD kept the lowers, one could believe that they could have offered the Twin Cooled TC 110.

HD has also cut the Bottom Inner side of the saddlebags, so that they no longer match other FLHs
Where the bottom is hollowed out for the Bag Support Bar, from that point Inboard the bottom is straigh across, it no longer goes back down again to match the outside half of the bottom.

I like my CVO with HD Chrome Bling, so for me 2014 SERK is out.

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Your Thoughtd on the 2014 SERK
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »

This has come up in other threads in different ways Dennis.  It is, of course, very much a question of one's personal tastes for a given model.  But, personally, I don't agree.  More accurately our visions of what is a Road King don't merge.

To me (and this from a guy with many many things hung on a Road King....) a Road King isn't a bike with all the extra stuff hung on it.  The lowers and audio and some of the other over-the-top bits make it a Street King or a Road King with Street Glide Pretensions.... or something.  But it's not a Road King. 

Having started early with Road Kings and always liking the bike and my personal idea of it the Road King is simple construct and a straightforward idea.  It's a big bike with bags that can go all day long.  It's uncomplicated. 

To me the iteration of the SERK with the audios and the lowers was... something... something nice even.  But it was never a Road King.  A Street Glide they forgot to put the fairing on?  A Street Glide whose fairing shrunk down to windshield size in a hot water wash and dry?  I'm not really sure what it was intended to be.  But it was never a true Road King to my eyes.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »

Interested in your thoughts on the New 2014 CVO Road King.

I had a chance the other day to look one over up close.
It looks to me that HD decided that Less should cost More, unless you like Black Paint.

It appears that HD decided that the iPod, Lowers with Speakers and Saddlebag Lids with Speakers wasn't a big seller. Hd has removed them from the 2014 SERK
If you are into Blacked out, you should be happy with the new 2014 SERK, it has plenty of it.
Handlebars, Mirrors, Master Cylinders, Fron Turn Signals, Trans Cover, Primary Cover etc etc.
Sorry, I am one who prefers "Chrome", not Blacked Out.
HD has also painted the Nacelle as well as the Upeer Slides. anothe No Sale for me.

Had HD kept the lowers, one could believe that they could have offered the Twin Cooled TC 110.

HD has also cut the Bottom Inner side of the saddlebags, so that they no longer match other FLHs
Where the bottom is hollowed out for the Bag Support Bar, from that point Inboard the bottom is straigh across, it no longer goes back down again to match the outside half of the bottom.

I like my CVO with HD Chrome Bling, so for me 2014 SERK is out.

DR

I agree with you on all points... Except your last one about the bags... See below.

Apparently a lot of folks here like the '14 SERK because it's stripped down and somehow more what a RK "should" be. I disagree with that... Perhaps a regular RK should be that, but I expect a lot more in a SERK... especially since it had all of the stuff in '13.

Thinking about that, I have realized that since the new Touring bikes are all CANBUS, I am thinking that they just didn't have the time nor resources to engineer an audio system on the '14 SERK to go with the new CANBUS ECM. Or perhaps it simply wasn't a high enough priority for them to do so.

Also, I think we will see the Twin Cooling on all Touring CVOs in 2015... SE Limited, SERG, SESG, or SERK. If it works well on the SE Limited, I suspect they will put it across the CVO Touring line... and likely the regular Touring line, too. That would mean lowers on all Touring bikes... unless they develop another configuration of a radiator to sit in front of the engine on the frame or something for bikes like the SG, RG, and RK without lowers.

You said that the inside of the bags doesn't go down like the outside does. The bags on my FLHXSE3 don't go down on the inside part either... only on the outside. They can't go down on the inside edge because that's where the muffler cutout is. Here's a pic of my left bag with my usual bottle of oil sitting down in the outside edge where it drops down. The inside edge just goes straight across... over the muffler. The '14 SERK bag bottoms look just like my '12 SESG bags do.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »

Apparently a lot of folks here like the '14 SERK because it's stripped down and somehow more what a RK "should" be. I disagree with that... Perhaps a regular RK should be that, but I expect a lot more in a SERK... especially since it had all of the stuff in '13.

Ok, now you've gone and hurt my feelings....  Dammit.  I'm sensitive don't ya know....

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »

This has come up in other threads in different ways Dennis.  It is, of course, very much a question of one's personal tastes for a given model.  But, personally, I don't agree.  More accurately our visions of what is a Road King don't merge.

To me (and this from a guy with many many things hung on a Road King....) a Road King isn't a bike with all the extra stuff hung on it.  The lowers and audio and some of the other over-the-top bits make it a Street King or a Road King with Street Glide Pretensions.... or something.  But it's not a Road King. 

Having started early with Road Kings and always liking the bike and my personal idea of it the Road King is simple construct and a straightforward idea.  It's a big bike with bags that can go all day long.  It's uncomplicated. 

To me the iteration of the SERK with the audios and the lowers was... something... something nice even.  But it was never a Road King.  A Street Glide they forgot to put the fairing on?  A Street Glide whose fairing shrunk down to windshield size in a hot water wash and dry?  I'm not really sure what it was intended to be.  But it was never a true Road King to my eyes.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this point...

The SG also NEVER had lowers until the '11 SESG came out with lowers with the speakers. The '10 SESG had no lowers.

SO, following your logic here... if the '13 SERK is an "SG Pretender" on which they forgot to put a fairing... then the '11/'12 SESGs are "Ultra Pretenders" on which they forgot to put a Tour Pak and passenger foot boards!

Now, I'm sure that you're not meaning to call the Honey Badger an "Ultra Pretender"... when I've gone to such effort to make it look SO much like a "NOT AN ULTRA"!  ;D

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »

Ok, now you've gone and hurt my feelings....  Dammit.  I'm sensitive don't ya know....

LOL! Let's just act like a couple of angry monkeys and throw CHITBALLS at each other for the rest of the afternoon! It'll be FUN!  :2vrolijk_21:

You may fire when ready...  :rifle:  But Honey Badger STILL don't care!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »

LOL! Let's just act like a couple of angry monkeys and throw CHITBALLS at each other for the rest of the afternoon! It'll be FUN!  :2vrolijk_21:

You may fire when ready...  :rifle:  But Honey Badger STILL don't care!

Ken

Ok.  But my dad could beat up your dad.  (yes, he's dead, don't bore me with details!)

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »

Ok.  But my dad could beat up your dad.  (yes, he's dead, don't bore me with details!)

Now THAT would be interesting... my dad's dead too. So much for a fight to the death... :skull:

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

Ok, now you've gone and hurt my feelings....  Dammit.  I'm sensitive don't ya know....

Don, I was never interested in the Saddlebags with Speakers, The lowrs with Speakers or the iPod. No selling point for me.

What I am really displeased with is a Blacked Out CVO. I like the Chrome, NOT Black Paint.

I only mentioned the lowers as they had them in 2013. Seems like a likely progression to leave them, Nix the Speakers and add the cooling system.

DR

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:26:29 PM by Dead_Reckoning »

Power Commander 3 Tuner

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »

Don, I was never interested in the Saddlebags with Speakers, The lowrs with Speakers or the iPod. No selling point for me.

What I am really displeades with is a Blacked Out CVO. I like the Chrome, NOT Black Paint.

I only mentioned the lowers as they had them in 2013. Seems like a likely progression to leave them, Nix the Speakers and add the cooling system.

DR

There we completely agree.   Chrome whore from way back.   There are no steps for a recovery either.   To hell with it.  I like chrome.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »

Now THAT would be interesting... my dad's dead too. So much for a fight to the death... :skull:

Ken

It would certainly be a Bone Shaking Experience.

Power Commander 3 Tuner

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »

Spew score today:

Site           1
Twolane   0

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »

There we completely agree.   Chrome whore from way back.   There are no steps for a recovery either.   To hell with it.  I like chrome.

:0) - Since I was able to recognize different Automobiles by the Chrome Grill, Trim, Taillights and bumpers, I have been hooked on Chrome.

To me, this year's Blacked out look would be like painting all the brightwork and Brass on a Fine Ship or Sailing Craft.

Power Commander 3 Tuner

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »

Nope... Not that either. My dad was CREMATED. It would merely be a little dust up...

I'm probably going to HELL for this!

:0) - Since I was able to recognize different Automobiles by the Chrome Grill, Trim, Taillights and bumpers, I have been hooked on Chrome.

To me, this year's Blacked out look would be like painting all the brightwork and Brass on a Fine Ship or Sailing Craft.

On the blacked out look, we can all three agree. I am a CHROME WHORE too... as should be rather obvious from my sig pic! And Don is quite correct... there is NO recovery from Chromaholism!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »

I just went back and looked at all of the 2014 CVOs. Apparently MoCo "Only" felt the need to Black Out the SERK. All od the other 2014 CVOs have our fix of CHROME.

DR

Power Commander 3 Tuner

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »

As I stated earlier on the 13 SERK, the audio was a strong selling point for me.  However, with 7800 miles on the bike now, I would have liked it better with out audio.  The bag speakers take up to much room, cant be heard over 30 mph by the rider, and I never have a passenger.  The fronts cant be heard over wind noise over 55~60 mph, and the lowers are dang hot in summer.  Now if they figured out how to get better sound that could be heard by a 6 foot rider at hwy speed I would feel different as I love tunes when riding.

If I were looking for a CVO King today, the 14 is what I would go for, due to what I know about the sound system now.  If I never had the 13 King, then today I would be wanting it due to the sound system.  I hope that makes sense.

The main thing I have against the 14 King is the Hideous FUGLY tail lights.  Needs the 13 tail lights.  Other than that it looks good.  I like a mix of black and chrome.

To me the best looking ever Harley is the Skunk, just the right mix of chrome and black.  My 13 CVO king also has a good mix of chrome, with a black engine.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 07:57:21 AM »

I think any discussion of the current Road King should begin with some discussion on what it is. And, what it is , is a direct descendent from the orginal bagger. Not long after motorcycles became popular and more reliable, somebody put a windshield and a couple of Saddlebags on one and the bagger was born.(FL) As time went by and bikers being bikers attempts at personalizing these baggers begat the dresser. Over time that simple saddlebag/windshield configuration saw the windsheild morph into a fairing shell with a separate windshield. (FLH) A version of the same bike with a radio and a couple speakers tucked into the raw shell plus a tour-pak became the FLHT. By the way, the orginal tour-paks were huge. fully 1/3rd larger than today's models. Time and consumer demand caused the FLT to become more and more laden with "goodies" to where we had several model of the same basic motorcycle. Also around the same time, H-D looked at the Japanese and European bikes and created a model with a frame mounted fairing FLT which also came in different trim levels. I don't know if people realized but there was no basic windshield/saddlebag model for a couple of years after 1984 with the disappearane of the FLH and the FLHS. (In case you don't know what an FLHS was it was an FLH with no windshield or bags and the S stood for Sport. Since the Electra-Glide was dominating the demand in "baggers" The Tour-Glide actually disappeared as well Then as is always the case with motorcycles, what was old was new again and we saw the introduction of the Road King. It was hailed as a return to basics from an Electra-Glide that had grown beyond the basics into the Ultra-Classic. And that is what the Road King should be in my opinion. I'll be the 1st to admit that I tried tacking on a fairing and tour-pak and basically destroying a Road King by turning it into a Electra-King. But with the bike that became known as Elvis I returned to what I believed then and will always believe a Road King should be. A big touring framed motorcycle with nothing more than a windshield and saddlebags. Chrome it, paint it, have custom bags and seat made, trick wheels, huge motors, 7 speed trannys, whatever floats your boat, make it yours any way you want but don't hang a bunch of stuff off it. If you want more than a windhshield and saddlebags buy an Electra-Glide or a Road-GlideTo me, the perfect Road King so far as OEM is concerned are the Road King Classics. They represent that direct line way back to when the first guy figured out a windshield/screen and hung some saddlebags on it. And that's my 2 cents (ok more like 2000 cents  LOL)

B B
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:01:34 AM by Spiderman »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Your Thoughts on the 2014 SERK
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »

I think any discussion of the current Road King should begin with some discussion on what it is. And, what it is , is a direct descendent from the orginal bagger. Not long after motorcycles became popular and more reliable, somebody put a windshield and a couple of Saddlebags on one and the bagger was born.(FL) As time went by and bikers being bikers attempts at personalizing these baggers begat the dresser. Over time that simple saddlebag/windshield configuration saw the windsheild morph into a fairing shell with a separate windshield. (FLH) A version of the same bike with a radio and a couple speakers tucked into the raw shell plus a tour-pak became the FLHT. By the way, the orginal tour-paks were huge. fully 1/3rd larger than today's models. Time and consumer demand caused the FLT to become more and more laden with "goodies" to where we had several model of the same basic motorcycle. Also around the same time, H-D looked at the Japanese and European bikes and created a model with a frame mounted fairing FLT which also came in different trim levels. I don't know if people realized but there was no basic windshield/saddlebag model for a couple of years after 1984 with the disappearane of the FLH and the FLHS. (In case you don't know what an FLHS was it was an FLH with no windshield or bags and the S stood for Sport. Since the Electra-Glide was dominating the demand in "baggers" The Tour-Glide actually disappeared as well Then as is always the case with motorcycles, what was old was new again and we saw the introduction of the Road King. It was hailed as a return to basics from an Electra-Glide that had grown beyond the basics into the Ultra-Classic. And that is what the Road King should be in my opinion. I'll be the 1st to admit that I tried tacking on a fairing and tour-pak and basically destroying a Road King by turning it into a Electra-King. But with the bike that became known as Elvis I returned to what I believed then and will always believe a Road King should be. A big touring framed motorcycle with nothing more than a windshield and saddlebags. Chrome it, paint it, have custom bags and seat made, trick wheels, huge motors, 7 speed trannys, whatever floats your boat, make it yours any way you want but don't hang a bunch of stuff off it. If you want more than a windhshield and saddlebags buy an Electra-Glide or a Road-GlideTo me, the perfect Road King so far as OEM is concerned are the Road King Classics. They represent that direct line way back to when the first guy figured out a windshield/screen and hung some saddlebags on it. And that's my 2 cents (ok more like 2000 cents  LOL)

B B

The sage speaks well.... :znotworthy:

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »

I bought the 2013 CVO Anniversary King because it was unique and didn't follow any of the cookie cutter Harley conventions regarding specific model equipment.  Really like the paint, tank badge, extended saddle bags, chrome wheels, blacked out drivetrain, rear LEDs and tunes capability. Had mixed feelings on the lowers but they've grown on me.  That being said, I also really like the direction of the '14 King.  Different but cool.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »

... I don't know if people realized but there was no basic windshield/saddlebag model for a couple of years after 1984 with the disappearane of the FLH and the FLHS. (In case you don't know what an FLHS was it was an FLH with no windshield or bags and the S stood for Sport. Since the Electra-Glide was dominating the demand in "baggers" The Tour-Glide actually disappeared as well Then as is always the case with motorcycles, what was old was new again and we saw the introduction of the Road King. It was hailed as a return to basics from an Electra-Glide that had grown beyond the basics into the Ultra-Classic. ...

B B

Nice historical perspective!

Regarding the old FLHS... it was around through 1993. The Road King replaced it starting in 1994.

However, there's another little-known part of the FLHS story - for those who care about such things. The FLHS continued on in 1994 and 1995 - but only as police bikes. The '94 and '95 Police bikes were ALL Electra-Glides... available either with a fairing... or with a windshield (the bikes with "DA" in their VIN). The Road King Police did not appear until 1996.

The reason I know all of this trivia is because I owned a 1995 FLHTP with a windshield... a Certified Police Special Electra-Glide. EVERYONE thought it was a Road King because of the windshield... but was an Electra-Glide.

She was a sweet and unique bike that my wife bought me for my 50th birthday. I called her Big Bad Bertha, and I hung a whole LOT of crap on her. I still miss Bertha... I should never have sold her...  :knife:

Her VIN was 1HD1DAL12SY600086. The "DA" meant "FLHTP Windshield", the "L" meant Evolution engine, the "1" meant normal year intro, the "S" meant 1995, and the "Y" meant York.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »

She was a sweet and unique bike that my wife bought me for my 50th birthday. I called her Big Bad Bertha, and I hung a whole LOT of crap on her. I still miss Bertha... I should never have sold her...  :knife:

Her VIN was 1HD1DAL12SY600086. The "DA" meant "FLHTP Windshield", the "L" meant Evolution engine, the "1" meant normal year intro, the "S" meant 1995, and the "Y" meant York.

Ken

That's a cool bike Ken.  You really can hang all kinds of crap chit stuff (dammit) on a Road King and still keep it a Road King  :2vrolijk_21:

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »

That's a cool bike Ken.  You really can hang all kinds of crap chit stuff (dammit) on a Road King and still keep it a Road King  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks, Don!

Yep... they make good Hanger-Offer platforms!

But it STILL wasn't a freakin' Road King...  :soapbox:

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »

Thanks, Don!

Yep... they make good Hanger-Offer platforms!

But it STILL wasn't a freakin' Road King...  :soapbox:

Ken

:huepfenlol2:

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »

Just another chrome Whore checking in. I love the bling. I am all about the paint and the chrome.
I like the green and the orange colors on the CVORK for 14. Especially the green.

I would have liked the bike a lot more if it was chrome instead of black trim and it had
a set of 10 inch big tube mini apes on it. :bananarock:

captainron62

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »

I am a huge RK fan.  I bought my first one in 2000.  I had a 2007 SERK that I traded on my 2013 SERK.  I love my 2013, I love the look, the chrome, the engine color and I especially love the tunes.  I also am very happy with the lowers, its my first bike w lowers.  I think my radio rocks just fine at about 70mph.  Not a prob. 

I think HD took a step back w the 14 SERK.   Take $3000 worth of equip off the bike and drop the price $500????   Wheres the value?  I like blacked out bikes, my springer has a fair about of black accessories, I just dont like paying north of 30K unless its coming chromed!!

I keep saying and a lot argue, I just dont know how that black will hold up down the road.  It may be just fine, may not in 20 years of heat and elements exposure. 

As an owner of a 13 SERK I guess I am happy that its now kind of unique.  The Caddy taillights are gone too, that one I def dont understand.  One of the best features of the bike.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 07:41:54 AM »

Nice historical perspective!
Regarding the old FLHS... it was around through 1993. The Road King replaced it starting in 1994.
However, there's another little-known part of the FLHS story - for those who care about such things. The FLHS continued on in 1994 and 1995 - but only as police bikes. The '94 and '95 Police bikes were ALL Electra-Glides... available either with a fairing... or with a windshield (the bikes with "DA" in their VIN). The Road King Police did not appear until 1996.
Ken

I disagree and here's why. The bike we call a Road King has it's speedo on the gas tank. That was the look that I speak about being a direct line to the 1st bagger waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when. The basic Harley look, the look that most of us remember from when we were kids (if you're over 50) was the big fat gas tanks and fenders, speedo and dash on top of those tanks and clear windshield and saddlebags. The bags may have been leather, the windshield may have been split with the lower 1/2 colored , the sides of the bike may have had massive chrome covers but a big full size Harley-Davidson unlike the Brits and the Nippons did not have t's instruments on the handlebars. That was one of the things that set the Sportster XL and later the Super-Glide FX apart from the big bagger H-D's
The last year the old FLHP had the speedo on the tank was 1985. H-D had some leftover Shovelhead motors and even though the shovelhead was officially discontinued in 1984, the 1985 FLHP's were shovelheads. Beginning in 1986. The FLHP while having just a clear windhshield and saddlebags had the same instrument cluster on the handlebars as the regular FLHT's and FLHTC's. So while I don't deny the existence of a FLHP with the basic bagger look, the speedo on the gas tank disappeared in 1985 and did not return until the introduction of the Road King. I am not sure what year the FLHP essentially became a Police Road King and would apreciate hearing that info from someone.

B B

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »

I disagree and here's why. The bike we call a Road King has it's speedo on the gas tank. That was the look that I speak about being a direct line to the 1st bagger waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when. The basic Harley look, the look that most of us remember from when we were kids (if you're over 50) was the big fat gas tanks and fenders, speedo and dash on top of those tanks and clear windshield and saddlebags. The bags may have been leather, the windshield may have been split with the lower 1/2 colored , the sides of the bike may have had massive chrome covers but a big full size Harley-Davidson unlike the Brits and the Nippons did not have t's instruments on the handlebars. That was one of the things that set the Sportster XL and later the Super-Glide FX apart from the big bagger H-D's
The last year the old FLHP had the speedo on the tank was 1985. H-D had some leftover Shovelhead motors and even though the shovelhead was officially discontinued in 1984, the 1985 FLHP's were shovelheads. Beginning in 1986. The FLHP while having just a clear windhshield and saddlebags had the same instrument cluster on the handlebars as the regular FLHT's and FLHTC's. So while I don't deny the existence of a FLHP with the basic bagger look, the speedo on the gas tank disappeared in 1985 and did not return until the introduction of the Road King. I am not sure what year the FLHP essentially became a Police Road King and would apreciate hearing that info from someone.

B B

Not sure what you're disagreeing with me about. I wasn't talking about the older FLH Shovels.

It's a fact that the FLHS (Electra-Glide Sport) was discontinued after 1993. It's also a fact that the FLHS-style "toaster dash" with the windshield was carried on in '94 and '95, but only as Police bikes.

And, its also a fact that the first FLHRP Road King Police, with the speedo on the tank again, came out in 1996... two years after the introduction of the civilian Road King in 1994.

I have researched this very deeply, because I was interested in the history of Bertha, my '95 FLHTP with a windshield. The '94 and '95 Certified Police Special Electra-Glides - available with a fairing, or with a windshield like Bertha had (the bikes with "DA" in their VIN) - filled the gap as Police Bikes until the introduction of the Road King Police in 1996. Starting in 1996, all fairing-equipped Police bikes have been Electra-Glides, while all windshield-equipped Police bikes have been the Road King Police.

There were also some Dyna Police bikes in certain years - but I'm not taking about those.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 21 queries.