Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vulcan works comp sprocket replacement  (Read 6194 times)

bowtech40

• Junior CVO Member
Vulcan works comp sprocket replacement
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »

Has anyone tried dumping their compensator in favor of the Vulcan works sprocket? If so I am wondering if there are any issues to be aware of? The 2012 FLTRXSE comp is taking a dump on me, so I am wondering.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
Re: Vulcan works comp sprocket replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »

The only issue I would be concerned about is how long was it field tested before they labeled it the best replacement part on the market. I haven't done any research but personally have never heard of them.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »

Has anyone tried dumping their compensator in favor of the Vulcan works sprocket? If so I am wondering if there are any issues to be aware of? The 2012 FLTRXSE comp is taking a dump on me, so I am wondering.

If you're talking about the solid sprocket they sell to eliminate the compensator, it's not a good idea.  The compensator is there to protect the engine and drivetrain from the shock that occurs normally between the engine, clutch, and transmission, not to mention what happens when you bang a hard downshift or pop the clutch.  If a compensator wasn't really necessary, you can rest assured Harley would save the money and not install one at the factory.  The current compensator design leaves a lot to be desired and it's not very reliable, but it's probably a lot better to spend a few hundred bucks replacing it versus spending a whole lot more to fix the damage likely to occur if you eliminate it.

There is a newer version of the compensator than what came in your bike btw.  And you might want to look into a product called the CompenSaver that improves lubrication to the sliding parts.  It has been discussed extensively on this site so you could read those threads, or search for CompenSaver on the internet.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bowtech40

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »

Thanks. I knew about the new model, and the compensaver. It just seems they can`t get it right if their life depended on it!! My 07 with a 117" that made in the high 130`s tq/hp and was not babied, last until I trade it in for my skunk with 54000 on it. Why did they change what worked?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »

If you're talking about the solid sprocket they sell to eliminate the compensator, it's not a good idea.  The compensator is there to protect the engine and drivetrain from the shock that occurs normally between the engine, clutch, and transmission, not to mention what happens when you bang a hard downshift or pop the clutch.  If a compensator wasn't really necessary, you can rest assured Harley would save the money and not install one at the factory.  The current compensator design leaves a lot to be desired and it's not very reliable, but it's probably a lot better to spend a few hundred bucks replacing it versus spending a whole lot more to fix the damage likely to occur if you eliminate it.

There is a newer version of the compensator than what came in your bike btw.  And you might want to look into a product called the CompenSaver that improves lubrication to the sliding parts.  It has been discussed extensively on this site so you could read those threads, or search for CompenSaver on the internet.

Jerry

I too, am skeptical of the solid sprockets, 'have not seen any long term, reliable data as to how they affect the rest of the drive train.

The Compensators on the newer bikes are a PITA, but they are a whole lot cheaper than Cranks and Transmissions...

I have pretty much relegated myself to treating Compensators (lifters too) as wear items on the '09... sad, very sad state of affairs...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »

I have been running a solid  front sprocket for approx. 3200 miles part# 19-0167 from v-twin  34 tooth  and new primary chain from drag spec .
my bike is a  softail  B motor  with work done  by  Darkhorse , flywheels balanced  proplugged  bearing's  replaced  and there rods etc
 i did  do the new comp update  with trays and gmr oiler  system then soon after the comp noise came  back   removed it all  and went with solid  sprocket
just came back with friends  from  Murphy  NC  from riding etc  got a real test on stuff going  Thru mountains  hills  curves etc
will say i do have more vibrations at lower rpm 1700 - 2200 rpm  when i was coming out of right hand turns  3rd gear 1700-2000 rpm then roll on throttle for immediate hill inclined  the vibrated petty good til rpm got above 2300  then it was smooth,
also noticed  at low  rpm
 when i rolled on the throttle i felt my back tire trying to break lose  of traction it kinda skipped a little  when i was coming out of turn ...this was on the dragon's tail when i first notice  this made my azz  puckered  up   lol 
when going down the highway  feels good 
  ..will keep update  of any issues that may come up
thanks Lever
hope this  helps
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:59:48 PM »

Jerry
I had an Evo Industries comp assembly installed in my 07 when it went bad. I was convinced by the dealer that it was better than the newest or then second revision so I agreed at the time. When I picked up the bike it was nice in town with lower gear take off's. But when I got over 55 my arms and legs fell asleep immediately from the vibration. When I ran up to 65 and dropped into 6th it just shuttered. I took the bike back and had the Hd version installed and all good after that. So Jerry is correct again as the Evo version did not have but a gear on the motor end no comp assembly.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.