Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Compensator Replacement cost  (Read 17727 times)

yanks178

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Citrus
Compensator Replacement cost
« on: October 07, 2014, 11:42:47 AM »

It is time to replace my compensator in my 10 CVO Ultra Classic (25K Miles).  The dealer told me the cost of them doing this $480 for compensator and rotor, $360 labor and then another $100 for misc (fluids and shop fees) for a totoal of $940 for a freaking part that shouldn't be out!!!!!!!!!!  I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. 

What are others paying for this repair?  I'm mechanically sound but just don't want to mess with it myself.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Compensator Replacement cost
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »

Mine's in the shop right now under extended warranty service

The manager said Harley gives them .9 Hours for the job! Sounds low but I know "I" can break it down in under 1 hour and I'm not a certified Harley mechanic that does this stuff every day.

The compensator Part #42200064A costs $299.95 on Harley's website. I seriously doubt that the rotor needs to be replaced as I am now on my 3rd compensator and they have NEVER replaced a rotor.

38 ounces of Harley oil, call is 2 quarts is about $26.00

So, I think they are sticking it to you.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

yanks178

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »

They told me that to upgrade to the screamin eagle version my rotor won't fit.. 11 and up the stock rotor will work.. who ever really knows!

dano

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »

I just changed mine on my 09 and had to change the rotor as well.  I did it myself, not that big of a deal to do

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:07 PM »

They told me that to upgrade to the screamin eagle version my rotor won't fit.. 11 and up the stock rotor will work.. who ever really knows!

They obviously don't know a whole lot, but they make up for their ignorance by being greedy.  The 2010 CVO Ultra came from the factory with the SE compensator standard, so you already have the correct rotor.  The actual replacement parts for the compensator, not including the spring pack, have an MSRP of $299.99.  Throw in a primary cover gasket for $36 MSRP, two quarts of whatever lube you use in the primary (tell them you want the rest of the second bottle since they will only need to use about six to twelve ounces to finish filling the primary), and that should pretty much cover the parts.  Unless they have a published standard labor rate of $300 per hour, they are also raping you on the labor charge.  Book time is 0.9 hours; they probably jack that up for customer paid work but they definitely don't need 3.6 hours (assuming $100 per hour labor rate, $360 quoted labor charge).  Then you have the totally bogus "shop supplies" charge.  I don't think I've ever seen any shop charge near that much for shop supplies.

You need to find another shop to work on your bike.

Jerry

Oh, btw, I forgot to mention you want the absolute latest version of the compensator, with the oil tray they have to "glue" into the outer primary cover.  That might account for a few more tenths in labor.  All told, if they are charging more than two hours total labor they should be under indictment for theft.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:52:39 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:55:50 PM »

Coincidentally my 2010 Ultra is in the shop for a noise in primary. They called two hours ago to tell me compensator is bad. Rotor and stator replacement is approx $850.00 but because of the extended warranty my cost is $50.00.     Harley's are the ONLY thing I have ever purchased an extended warranty for. This one has paid off 3 times over. 

yanks178

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 08:00:18 PM »

I'll be picking my bike up tomorrow and taking it somewhere else.. ($40 is what I owe for a  diagnostic fee).  Thanks for the info guys! 

King2013

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »

I'll be picking my bike up tomorrow and taking it somewhere else.. ($40 is what I owe for a  diagnostic fee).  Thanks for the info guys!
Nice move.
Local dealer quoted me $400.00 for an oil change. I called a place that came to me and did it for 130.00 full synthetic oil and chrome filter included.

They're called stealerships for good reason.

yanks178

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »

Nice move.
Local dealer quoted me $400.00 for an oil change. I called a place that came to me and did it for 130.00 full synthetic oil and chrome filter included.

They're called stealerships for good reason.

I got my oil change done and it was $350.. sticker shock!!  I should have known too.. I work at an automotive dealership and never take anything there for service unless it is warranty. 

I'm not a rich guy but these dealerships think just because you have a CVO they can take advantage of you.. Not going to let it happen to me.

King2013

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 11:32:10 PM »

I got my oil change done and it was $350.. sticker shock!!  I should have known too.. I work at an automotive dealership and never take anything there for service unless it is warranty. 

I'm not a rich guy but these dealerships think just because you have a CVO they can take advantage of you.. Not going to let it happen to me.

Every time I go to the dealer I leave my wallet in my truck because I get this feeling, like my ex-wife is around.
Deep down in my heart I know they're only being nice because they want is what's in it.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »

My dealership charges $500 for each CVO interval service. Because 'it's a CVO' it boosts the already expensive fees for a standard model. I was surprised at other costs posted here for the same service and will be checking into this further.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »

My dealership charges $500 for each CVO interval service. Because 'it's a CVO' it boosts the already expensive fees for a standard model. I was surprised at other costs posted here for the same service and will be checking into this further.

Your dealer is ripping you off.
What dealership is it?

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »

Your dealer is ripping you off.

Me and lots of other riders I'd say. Big Moose H-D in Portland.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »

Replacing a compensator is a very easy job, and that's coming from a guy who thought "I'll never have to wrench on this bike because it's a CVO" ?  I have replaced 5 compensators and I'm sending the 6th one back for warranty replacement.  That was the new 14 model but not the revised 14 version.  I don't especially like working on the bike but the alternative of the exaggerated prices and some of the cosmetic damage I received made up my mind to get some tools and ask the more experienced members on this forum for instructions.  There is no way I could afford to put on the mileage I do and pay their prices.   The first compensator made it to 41,400 miles and since then I have had to install one every 10,000 miles.  And then there are the clutch hubs and then....  well you get the idea.  If money is no issue and you don't put allot of miles find a shop that treats you fairly.  If you pile on the miles you may want to consider learning some of the basics.  Well I'm off to remove my early 14 compensator & put her away for the winter.  Now the Cobalt Blue FJR takes it the rest of the way. 

There is no shortage of knowledge and generosity from many of the members here.  They can pull you through just about anything.  There are also some real good vendors that can handle the big stuff, should you be lucky enough to live near one of them.   

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »

What is part number for the very latest 2014 compensater?  I installed the newer version at that time back in June , glued in trey, and it is already knocking after 7,000 miles. Please verify latest part number and thanks.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »

As far as I know the part number for the newest compensator is 42200064-A.  The last one I purchased did not have the A, when I talked to the person handling my replacement for the one year warranty he is the one that noticed that it was already upgraded.  I will know more once I have this completed.  I purchased it through a mail order HD shop so I have to get some paper work in order to get the replacement.  Mine was knocking at 7,000 miles as well but I managed to get it to 10,000 miles before I took it out.  Bike is on the lift for the winter anyway.  If the part number is not correct I will post it & send you a PM.  I'm still planning to look into the Compusaver and change the clutch out to one that will let me use a slightly thicker fluid.  I have been using B&M quick shift for some time.  I'm also using the Dimple magnet for the Primary side and it has been full of metal & sludge every 3,000 miles.  That little magnet will hold a 3 pound hammer while the stock magnet can't hold a small wrench.  What I can't figure out is why many of us were able to get some decent miles on the original only to install the latest & greatest numerous times.   Somebody must have an answer. 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 01:17:27 PM »

Interesting.  I have 24k on my original without issue.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »

I had mine replaced in Aug of this year and was knocking at idle and low rpm take offs. I brought it back in about 2 months later and it now appears to be fixed.

MOCO had the dealer take a bunch of measurements. Crankshaft length, entire comp assembly and the bolt that holds it all together. After a little debate about tolerance stacking MOCO sent the dealer some shims (don't know the part number).

The shim is place between to stator cover and the spring plate pack. The dealer said 3 put me right a spec but he put in 4 because he felt that as the spring pack gets compressed over time the added shim dimension should keep me at min spec.

Only have about 250 miles on it since the fix but it is working great.

JMac at Surdyke HD in Festus, MO knows the part number and said he was going to order 30 of them so he could fix the ones that aren't working.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

BigD2112

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »

I just had this repair done under warranty while on a road trip.  The first dealership did not have the part, so it was torque and go....it started clattering about 1,500 miles later and had the work done at Simi Valley HD.  They were fast probably less than 2 hours.  This is my second bike with compesator problems.  My 2010 Street Glide comp nut went out....Now what was amazing is that my 14 CVO went out about 6,000 miles....the primary side engine driveline was very noisy and you could tell things were not right....if you did not get an extended warranty with your new CVO, get you one....this is a standard repair....the motor falls apart if you are crusing 8 to 10 hours at highway speed limits
2014 CVO Limited
2009 XR1200
2012 Challenger SRT8

RichardK

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »

Look at GMR Performance. All the info and answers along with the fix is there
Ride safe
RichardK
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.