Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: CVO Road King with Custom Fairing vs. a Street Glide  (Read 21290 times)

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
CVO Road King with Custom Fairing vs. a Street Glide
« on: November 27, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »

Okay, so here's my question:
What would the main difference be, if any, between. CVO RK and a Street Glide if you were to install a custom fairing on the RK?
I have a 2013 CVO RK and am considering getting a custom fairing (Dragonfly, Dead Center, Tsukaya potential companies that make them)for longer trips. The RK and SG are both touring frames, so does this basically accomplish the same thing as having a SG? It certainly seems that way, with the added benefit of being able to strip the RK down whenever you want.
Would love to hear some of your thoughts.
Thanks.....

BigDawgBrent

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Re: CVO Road King with Custom Fairing vs. a Street Glide
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »

I just had this great debate with myself for the last few months.  I settled on the 2013 CVO Road King With a Dragonfly.  Here's my reasoning:

1.  Riding is an escape for me.  The stripped down cruiser style of the Road King opens up my sight lines to the road and gives me more an open feeling that helps me escape whatever it was I needed to get away from.
2.  About 70% of my riding is short distance.  While I acknowledge the fairing makes a substantial improvement on long hauls, it's extra weight when I'm running errands around town, etc.
3.  The Dragonfly option gives me the fairing when I need it and the stripped down style when I don't... The best of both worlds.
4.  The Dragonfly option with the Zumo 665 gives me both GPS and XM radio.  Combined with the iPod on the FLHRSE5, I have all the audio options I would use... (FM radio is not needed for me)
5.  I live in Texas... We don't have a long harsh winter.  I can ride comfortably behind a windshield nearly year round.

I admit... There is a trade off... I came VERY close to buying a 2015 CVO Steet Glide.  The  Ultraviolet/Lava paint job on that bike is just a beautiful work of art.  Also, the upgraded audio will outperform anything I can easily put into my Dragonfly.

But, for me, it came down to "good enough" audio, and the flexibility to build up my bike from a stripped down Road King, to a "Street King" with the Dargonfly, to a "Street King Ultra" with a Tour Pak, and then to strip it all back down again.  Ultimate flexibility and enough creature comforts that I shouldn't complain for many years to come.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »

Pics please BigDawg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »

Agree - BigDawg show us pics! Great response also, very helpful.
Any other opinions?

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

CVO Road King with Custom Fairing vs. a Street Glide
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »

I've got a feeling that finding out about this is going to cost me a lot of money Still cheaper than looking to part ex for a Street Glide and such a bonus having the flexibility to strip down.

I wonder if they are available in the UK?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:33:52 PM by Bav »
Using Tapatalk

stratplexi

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 01:12:00 AM »

Had 2 ultras and a Streetglide and sold for a Road King. Just got tired of the fixed bat wing. Detachable is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDawgBrent

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 12:51:28 AM »

Sorry guys... No pics yet... Having to fly out to California in a couple weeks to finalize the purchase of my bike.  As for the fairing, I've gotten a couple pics from Dragonfly of a unit in process, but I probably won't order that until later next year.  It's on my list, but not in my first few upgrade priorities.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »

My situation is not the same, but similar. I thought I was going to get a Street Glide or SG Special (non CVO's) next year. I had been riding a Heritage for five years and rarely used the windshield, only putting it on when temps were between forty and the low fifties. When I negotiated a price on a brand new CVO RK that was only about a thousand more than the Street Glide Special the decision was made. More power, nicer paint and wheels, all dressed up with nicer grips, controls, etc., and nicer air intake already in place. I just had to make sure I was ready to buy seven or eight months earlier than planned. Of course, this only works for me because I don't need or want GPS and Stereo. I would say aftermarket fairing sounds like a plan for you. Will you get it painted to match?
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 08:30:30 AM »

I'm the same as you. I don't want a stereo and I'm happy with my handlebar mounted GPS. I've been looking at Dead Center fairings who just do a plain fairing so no need for a stereo or a big hole in it. I would get it painted to match my CVO complete with tribal graphics which I think would look really cool. Trouble is I don't know if I can get them in the UK.

Using Tapatalk

BigDawgBrent

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »

For one of you asking for pics... Here's the work in progress shots from Dragonfly.

BigDawgBrent

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »

Pic 2

BigDawgBrent

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »

Pic 3

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »

Wow that looks really cool. This forum is sure helping me get through some cash and I thought buying a CVO would mean no need for extra goodies. Boy was I mistaken

Thanks for sharing the pics can't wait to see it on the bike

Using Tapatalk

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »

Wow that looks really cool. This forum is sure helping me get through some cash and I thought buying a CVO would mean no need for extra goodies. Boy was I mistaken

Thanks for sharing the pics can't wait to see it on the bike

That's what I thought, too, but for me it is proving true. All I've done is Custom Dynamics led inserts into the front blinkers. My only future plan is an exhaust and tune. Done. Ride it.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

JQCVO

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 05:11:41 PM »

I'm beginning to do my research on a custom fairing for my CVO RK. I plan to finalize my choice and have it ready for next spring. It's a tough decision on who to go with, there are a few out there that come highly recommended (I.e. DragonFly, Dead Center). I like Dead Center as their's easily locks in with quick detach.
At a minimum I will get the stereo and tie it into the RK system, adding two in the fairing for a total of six (2 in lowers, 2 in rear lids) which should make for an awesome system. GPS is appealing as well, but I see it offered by DragonFly and not Dead Center. I'll need to confirm this.
I will have it painted to match the custom colors on the bike by Joe at Xtreme Dimensions.
Most of the time I will ride with the windshield that comes with the bike. I like some wind protection. I will use the fairing a few times a year for longer trips. My thought is (my original post on this topic), is that it essentially converts the RK to a Street Glide ( or as BigDawg put it, a Street King) when you put the fairing on. Best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:24:01 PM by JQCVO »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.