Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil dripping off the frame  (Read 2345 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

oil dripping off the frame
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:24:03 PM »

Got home from a 400+ run today and saw oil dripping off the frame under the hydraulic clutch push rod cover lest that's where it looks like it's coming from. I couldn't tell for sure the light was going. I'll check it tomorrow to pin point it, if it is the cover,...

Q. is there primary drive oil that gets in that cover from the clutch push rod to the clutch hydraulic slave . If I find it's that cover were the leak is from would that be were the oil s from? 

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: oil dripping off the frame
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:14:13 AM »

Not the inner primary seal?
Bill

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »

Tighten the two allen bolts at the bottom of the clutch cover that your exhaust bracket attaches to for the header pipe.  Then brake clean off.  Without removing the pipes, you have to be creative and cut off an old allen wrench to gain access to these bolts.  Good luck.  Let us know how it works out.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:56:33 AM »

Tighten the two allen bolts at the bottom of the clutch cover that your exhaust bracket attaches to for the header pipe.  Then brake clean off.  Without removing the pipes, you have to be creative and cut off an old allen wrench to gain access to these bolts.  Good luck.  Let us know how it works out.

Bang on the money Boatman, I had found it and got the two bolts tightened this morning. If it happens again I'll pull them and loctite them, found all the case bolts snugged up a bit but the exhaust mount ones were the worst.     
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 10:44:04 AM by longlast »

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »

Had a 2011 do this and the oil ends up all over the frame, engine case and exhaust.  Really makes a mess.  With aftermarket head pipe I could get to those with a ball end allen wrench.  Ended up pulling them, cleaning everything up and blue loctite them back in.  Also had a leak in the same area after changing out an old clutch cable during a handlebar change and got a bad o-ring seal at the transmission case.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 02:47:35 PM »

Glad you fixed it.  Keep an eye on it while riding as you don't want it to leak onto the rear tire while riding.  Be safe.
Ray
2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Starfire Black

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »

Glad you fixed it.  Keep an eye on it while riding as you don't want it to leak onto the rear tire while riding.  Be safe.

Will be doing that for sure

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 22 queries.