Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windshield bags and oil leak  (Read 2304 times)

drallan

Windshield bags and oil leak
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:16:35 PM »

I was told by HD that the windshield bags are not compatible with the SEUC3 leather dash panel. I see from photos that some of you have installed them. What, if any, are the issues? Also, since I have discovered that the top and bottom rear head gaskets are leaking, will riding it throughout the summer cause any damage? Hope the new gaskets work. I will unload the bike and take a major hit if they don't. Ouch! I guess I can't get too upset because 2 newish BMWs have left me stranded as well.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Windshield bags and oil leak
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:20:36 PM »

I was told by HD that the windshield bags are not compatible with the SEUC3 leather dash panel. I see from photos that some of you have installed them. What, if any, are the issues? Also, since I have discovered that the top and bottom rear head gaskets are leaking, will riding it throughout the summer cause any damage? Hope the new gaskets work. I will unload the bike and take a major hit if they don't. Ouch! I guess I can't get too upset because 2 newish BMWs have left me stranded as well.

Welcome to the site! 1st, I am told the windshield bag works just fine. I have seen them installed in person. I personally don't have a need for them other than to potentially hide the XM antenna in the future. 2nd, I have ridden several thousand miles with my gaskets leaking with no problems. You may want to wipe any excess oil so it doesn't burn onto the fins but other than that don't worry.
AJ

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »

Welcome to the site! 1st, I am told the windshield bag works just fine. I have seen them installed in person. I personally don't have a need for them other than to potentially hide the XM antenna in the future. 2nd, I have ridden several thousand miles with my gaskets leaking with no problems. You may want to wipe any excess oil so it doesn't burn onto the fins but other than that don't worry.
AJ

My three pouch windshield bag fits fine!     :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:38 PM »

The three bag set up works fine with stock windshield, not so well with shorty windshield as they stick out on the sides and look dumb.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 05:52:20 AM »

I have the 3 pouch on mine with no issues. Good to keep the munchies close at hand on a long haul. THE MUFFMAN

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »

I have the 3 pouch on mine with no issues. Good to keep the munchies close at hand on a long haul. THE MUFFMAN

My 3 pouch bags usually contain ear plugs, blackberry phone, and small camera...and on trips, a plastic baggy full of beef jerky!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

2PAK

• Full CVO Member
  • I'm not young enough to know everything.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »

When I tried to see if the two pouch unit would fit (w/o removing the shield first), just laying it on top of the dash, it appeared severly limited in its abilbity to accomodate it.  Are you saying that if you remove the shield and actually install it, the unit actually fits like it does on a regular Ultra?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »

When I tried to see if the two pouch unit would fit (w/o removing the shield first), just laying it on top of the dash, it appeared severly limited in its abilbity to accomodate it.  Are you saying that if you remove the shield and actually install it, the unit actually fits like it does on a regular Ultra?

It does fit, but because of the leather dash, it's kind of tight. I made some modifications to the plastic stiffeners inside the pouches. I removed the end pieces, making it easier for the pouches to conform to the space provided.

:indian_chief:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »

The technical term for that is the 3 bags are kinda scrunched up on the bottom, but they fit fine.   :)

Will do what Chief did next time I get a new windshield.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

crazybob

• 2018 Limited CVO Utra SCREAMIN EAGLE !!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's go RIDE!!!!!
    • MD

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »

What I have heard is the 2 bag does not fit but the 3 bag fits fine.....I have the 3 bag with no problems....

hope this helps...

Bob
18 CVO Ultra limited just picked up!!!

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.