Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it only a matter of time?  (Read 4524 times)

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
Is it only a matter of time?
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:02:59 PM »

I have a 2012 110 in my 2013 CVO Roadking (long story there). As far as I can tell from researching the previous owner's modifications, it has T-Man 625 cams, stock lifters & bearings, D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 exhaust and a super tuner, all set up by the HD dealer in Paducah, KY. The bike runs like a scalded dog as far as I'm concerned and I am not looking to add any more hp, I'm concerned those stock lifters are not going to hold up even though I baby the thing and rarely get above 4k rpm.

Am I being paranoid (no funny cam chest noises yet but only 5K mikes on the motor) or should I be looking at upgrading the lifters and bearings? That's above my skill set so around how much should that cost and is the typical local HD dealer qualified for that job? If not who near St. Louis, MO would you guys recommend?

Thanks this site has always been a big help and given me great advice!

Evo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:10:48 PM by evodistraction »

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Is it only a matter of time?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »

Change the bearings.S&S lifters & roller rockers

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 11:00:01 AM »

What should I expect the cost to be for those modifications? Round #'s.

Evo

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »

S&S lifters, standards are around $130, Premiums at $230. Bearings (Torrington full roller) $30, gasket $8
Time to do the job approx. 3 hrs so $300 most HD.
Any good independent could do the job for less on the labor rate, maybe even some discount on parts. Get it done as soon asap, its not if the stock lifters will fail, its when.
JMFWIW  twinotter

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

Re: WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »

S&S lifters, standards are around $130, Premiums at $230. Bearings (Torrington full roller) $30, gasket $8
Time to do the job approx. 3 hrs so $300 most HD.
Any good independent could do the job for less on the labor rate, maybe even some discount on parts. Get it done as soon asap, its not if the stock lifters will fail, its when.
JMFWIW  twinotter

Thanks twinotter, you think the stock rockers are ok? Prodrag1320 suggested roller rockers but I imaging that will drive the cost up quite a bit.

evo

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 06:41:38 AM »

We'd use a roller rocker arm on that .625 lift cam also.
Scott

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »

evo,
These guys all know what they're talking about, shooting you straight, none are trying to sell you parts just to make a sale, due to your location, you're probably not going to buy from them anyway...

The reason Kirby and Scott are recommending the Roller Rockers is longevity, (less potential side loading of the valve stems, which promotes rapid guide wear) with higher lift cams. S&S was highly recommended to me...

Ya gotta pay to play... Oftentimes paying now (with the good advice you're getting here) is much less costly than paying later...

'Love the T-Man 625s!!
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »

evo,
These guys all know what they're talking about, shooting you straight, none are trying to sell you parts just to make a sale, due to your location, you're probably not going to buy from them anyway...

The reason Kirby and Scott are recommending the Roller Rockers is longevity, (less potential side loading of the valve stems, which promotes rapid guide wear) with higher lift cams. S&S was highly recommended to me...

Ya gotta pay to play... Oftentimes paying now (with the good advice you're getting here) is much less costly than paying later...

'Love the T-Man 625s!!

FlaHeatWave.

Which is why I love this site! I'll start saving my loose change and maybe by spring I can take her in for the mods.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

evo
evo,

'Love the T-Man 625s!!

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 09:55:19 AM »

As others have already stated, change to S&S Premiums, adjustable pushrods if not already there (I can only guess that they are adjustable now). Same advice for the rocker arms, I definitely use Roller Rockers on a 625 cam set. Again, S&S would be my rec.  The cam bearings need to be full compliment Torrington style. Makes me wonder if the valve springs where changed, and to what??
I'm amazed that people still try to use the stock lifters for power builds. They are barely adequate for stock lifts, in fact are rather infamous for buggering up cam face surfaces and destroying lifter rollers stock!!
My friends 2012 110 CVO had stock lifters that rattled so loud upon a cold start, that it startled me! At the time it had 80, yes 80 total Klms on the speedo. At 2200klms, they got louder, HD replaced them with more stock lifters. Guess what, 4000klms later, same bullchit. An independent here replaced them something from Fuel Moto, motor has 70000klms now, no more startup rattle. twinotter

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »

Do you guys really think evo needs to spend the money when he states he babies his bike never going over 4K RPM? I have posted before that I have a buddy that went out and spent a fortune putting in a built 124 and then "de tuned" to run 88 octane to save pennies per gallon on gas and also never revs his bike so the motor will last
I have never figured that out but to each their own but he would have never really seen a difference if he left his perfectly fine stock motor in. he is a great guy that we all love but no one wants to ride with him because he rides so slow and he absolutely has the most powerful motor.
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 12:06:20 AM »

He might find that he has problems with that 124" prematurely simply because he's lugging a stroker motor.  Want to keep the revs up in those strokers....easier on the flywheel and less chance of sicssoring.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 12:56:02 PM »

FlaHeatWave.

Which is why I love this site! I'll start saving my loose change and maybe by spring I can take her in for the mods.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

evo

If you plan to use roller rocker arms (although I think it's a waste of your money), be aware you will also need to mill/grind clearance for them in your rocker box covers.

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 11:25:16 PM »

He might find that he has problems with that 124" prematurely simply because he's lugging a stroker motor.  Want to keep the revs up in those strokers....easier on the flywheel and less chance of sicssoring.
I tried to tell him that but he pointed out that i blew up my 120 and I am the last person he should listen to. He might have a point..
He actually sold his bike recently which we were all kinda happy about.
Alan

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.