Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.  (Read 15844 times)

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.
« on: July 25, 2018, 06:57:01 AM »

Well the 19 models will all come with the Primary vented from what I heard so the Mothership feels this is the fix. They sent 2 engineers from Milwaukee to Smith Brothers to fix a guy I knows bike, they installed the vent in the upper most corner towards the rear of the primary and guaranteed it to fix the issue. Of course everytime they filled his trans they used 20w/50 SE oil which I feel is too thin for a trans but hopefully it will help his CVO. Supposedly he got a call from the Vice President of HD which is a Woman I heard, she said they will get his bike fixed and then she flew the engineers down to Tn. to do the fix.
Now before you go and shoot down my story, just remember I mentioned a long time ago about adding the slingers for the fix but I then was treated like a mangy dog but they tired the slingers and it helped some but didn't stop all the transfer. So all the 2019's will have the vent in them and they also said that if any 2017 or 18 models show the transfer they will fix them with the vent whether they are out of warranty or not.
I also found out that Cool Springs HD in Nashville Tn. has been putting the vent in for a month or so on their own anyways so they thought that was the fix also. They came up with there own venting system.
Just passing this along so don't shoot the messenger.... LOL.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:05:37 AM »

Sounds good, thanks for the report on the venting system.  Good for the 2017s & 2018s out there as well.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »

Wont be long before the 19's are shipping then we'll see if they have the vent installed . Time & some miles will tell if that's the real fix.  I have no interest in buying another CVO touring rig my 09 will be with me until I have to put a 3rd wheel on it, but I might be interested in a new softail platform at some point.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:36:08 AM »

Hopefully that will take care of the problem for those affected, but I still question why this has only become a problem in the past four years.  There is a root cause that still hasn't been acknowledged, and I'm guessing if the vent works we will never hear from Harley what is really causing this problem.  I wonder what kind of maintenance will be needed for that vent?  Does it have a filter?  One way valve, or just an open vent?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »

Help me out here - what problem are they fixing with a vent? 

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:57:20 AM »

Help me out here - what problem are they fixing with a vent?
Oil transfer from the trans to the primary.
   IMO the 20/50 oil is too thin to run in the trans. J&B performance serviced a bike that had transfer, they re-installed Redline Shockproof in the trans. Since this service there has been no more transfer.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:19 AM »

I wonder what kind of maintenance will be needed for that vent?  Does it have a filter?  One way valve, or just an open vent?

Jerry

I'm with you, Jerry, and was pondering on the same questions.  Maybe the MoCo is going back to a chain drive and can use that vent hose for a new fangled chain oiler system like they used to have... ;D

mark

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:39:53 AM »

Did HD ever identify how the primary fluid was transferring to the transmission?  I know this is their "fix" for the problem, but it would not be the first time they initiated a fix that didn't address the root problem.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:42:31 AM by Mark »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 10:51:54 AM »

One assumption to ponder - consider what pondered assumptions identify about those pondering assumptions - is there is a low pressure/high pressure created in the primary or a portion of the primary.   The vent would allow that to equalize.  Why?  My best guess on the HD tech response would be:  "They all do that, it's normal."

Or, as Haird suggested, the vent hose will have a dual purpose as a chain oiler.   :huepfenlol2:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »

Oil transfer from the trans to the primary.
   IMO the 20/50 oil is too thin to run in the trans. J&B performance serviced a bike that had transfer, they re-installed Redline Shockproof in the trans. Since this service there has been no more transfer.

20/50 has virtually the same viscosity as formula +, and 75/90 gear oil.  if you're putting 75/140 in there to mitigate the oil transfer, you're just putting a band aid on the real problem.  that's what needs to be addressed, not just using thicker oil.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »

The fluid is transferring from the trans to the primary, so for a vent in the primary to supposedly fix it that means they think the  primary is somehow developing a partial vacuum.  The trans is already vented to atmosphere, so it can't be a buildup of pressure in the trans unless they somehow managed to screw up the trans venting system during the redesign of the trans case.  So my next question is, how does the primary develop a vacuum?  This is another issue like the sumping issue, where Harley either has no clue or they do know what's wrong but are looking for a cheap band-aid instead of fixing the root cause.  The older transmissions, 5 speed and 6 speed Cruise Drive, didn't have this problem.  The problem seems to have started in 2014 as best I can tell, after Harley made changes to the Cruise Drive trans, and got worse when they went to the oil cooled M8's for 2017.  Replacing a shaft spacer and seal fixes many of the 2014-2016 bikes, but not the 2017-2018 bikes.  Hmmmmm.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »

As scratch noted above, SAE 50 motor oil falls within the upper half of the viscosity range for SAE 90 gear oil.  See attached chart.

Jerry

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »

TmHeritage...let us know how this works.  I assume it’s a one way valve.  ..right?   This just might be the fix... what’s puzzling is why this was not discovered in the design,engineering,and testing of the M8.?

Just saying  :-*

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 12:59:51 PM »

with the vent, maybe now you can have an old style H-D, such as a knuckle,pan or shovel, where it'll leave a puddle of oil wherever you park it. like a dog, marking it's spot.      :huepfenjump3:
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »

with the vent, maybe now you can have an old style H-D, such as a knuckle,pan or shovel, where it'll leave a puddle of oil wherever you park it. like a dog, marking it's spot.      :huepfenjump3:
Honoring that tradition should help sales!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.