Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: 2013 gold cvo breakout  (Read 12006 times)

thewasteguy

2013 gold cvo breakout
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:53:19 PM »

I purchased the 2013 CVO Breakout in gold. Due to numerous light scratches and blemishes,I am very displeased with the paint quality which was billed as a "mirror" finish.My dealer has only sold (1) mine,and doesn't have anything to compare it to. There is some chat on Youtube claiming delivery of this model has been suspended possibly to a paint issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

13brkoutCVO

Re: 2013 gold cvo breakout
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »

I also have a gold Breakout and I can see sanding or finishing marks under the paint.  The marks are not in the paint but, on the metal itself.  I was told by my dealer that was the intended look.

I also heard of a paint issue with the Breakout but, it was a supply issue not a quality problem. 

Can owners of the black and/or burgundy Breakout see finishing or sanding marks on your tank and front fender?  Please share your observations.

mbrewer566

• 2014 CVO Softail Deluxe, 2015 Indian Roadmaster, 2015 Indian Chief Vintage
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »

My red one is perfect...if I were you, I'd call Harley corporate.  The CVO is their flagship.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:43:33 PM »

My black and silver has no paint/finish issues either.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »

The tank is polished by hand...you will see the marks of the sanding...especially on the black and silver!  It's normal...people expect the tank to be chrome. It's not...

NYRdKngLouis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »

Appears as if the CVO BO was stop shipping/sales due to paint quality issues.
 H-D will never admit this but the paint quality of many CVO BO is not meeting minimum expected requirements. H-D had mentioned "production issues" as if the vendor they outsourced the painting job could not meet the  demand.

As of right now, we are not expecting a CVO BO for 2014 year model. It is a beautiful looking bike and they are not selling them anymore....why?

I believe, and the guys with these particular models paint jobs may chime in and verify this question. The Gold and Silver tanks are hand polished and have several "clear" covers over naked polished metal when the red ones are not polished but painted. That's why the red models are not having the quality issue. Am I right?

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »

These are the marks....it's normal.

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 05:51:04 AM »

I have the same marks on my black and silver
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:00:56 AM »

Appears as if the CVO BO was stop shipping/sales due to paint quality issues.
 H-D will never admit this but the paint quality of many CVO BO is not meeting minimum expected requirements. H-D had mentioned "production issues" as if the vendor they outsourced the painting job could not meet the  demand.

As of right now, we are not expecting a CVO BO for 2014 year model. It is a beautiful looking bike and they are not selling them anymore....why?

I believe, and the guys with these particular models paint jobs may chime in and verify this question. The Gold and Silver tanks are hand polished and have several "clear" covers over naked polished metal when the red ones are not polished but painted. That's why the red models are not having the quality issue. Am I right?

Gunslinger in Colorado is the company that did the paint.  The bottom line is that the process of painting these bikes takes a long time and they couldn't keep up.  Gunslinger is not that big of a shop and they also do a lot of custom work and collision repair.....so they couldn't keep up with Harley and their day to day business. 

I think that everything man made will have issues....its the people on the forum that will let everyone know....but there are like 50 Breakouts on our map....there are 1850 more that may have no problems at all.

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Breakout, Hard Candy Gold Dust / Liquid Sun
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »

I have the gold BO, and have no issues with the paint. I can see the sand/grind marks that are in the metal of the tank(under the paint). I was told that was the expected effect.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »

Gunslinger in Colorado is the company that did the paint.  The bottom line is that the process of painting these bikes takes a long time and they couldn't keep up.  Gunslinger is not that big of a shop and they also do a lot of custom work and collision repair.....so they couldn't keep up with Harley and their day to day business.  

I think that everything man made will have issues....its the people on the forum that will let everyone know....but there are like 50 Breakouts on our map....there are 1850 more that may have no problems at all.

I've had the pleasure of visiting Gunslingers shop in Golden.  Even had some work done by them (painted inner for my CVO SG and repainted my 03 Anniversary Heritage Springer).

Anyway, when I was talking with the gentlemen (name withheld for his respect) who used to be the manager of the collision department, last fall, he mentioned that Gunslingers just grabbed a few more of the paintsets from another shop that are part of the sheet metal exchange program for HD.  I forget how many sets that brought them to, but it was over 10 various collections, and several collections have several color variants.

During our conversation, we discussed their growing size.  They added a new facility that was quite large, and to ramp up CVO production, were setting up to go into 24 hour operations.  All of this was discussed when we were talking shop about my RG conversion.

I don't doubt that the workload was a strained, but as I'm sure they have contractual obligations with HD, I am willing to bet Gunslingers would have put the nails in their own coffin so to speak if HD stopped the CVO Breakout because the painter couldn't meet demand.  In fact, I do know that Gunslingers was actually delaying inbound work from private parties while production was at the fullest.

Take it all with a grain of salt, I'm by no means an insider on their operations - just summarizing a previous conversation....

Also, FWIW, Gunslingers also painted the 12 and 13 CVO Road Glide Customs.  Not that the Breakout isn't a great seller, but we all know that HD's cash cows are the touring bikes.  Why else would we see 3/4 of the CVO bikes each year come from that family?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:42:44 AM by fish eye »

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

When I called about trying to get them to paint a helmet to match the bike, they said that they are way back logged for custom work.  she said the lead time on a helmet would be 3-4 weeks!  Imagine what it would take for 1900 CVO Breakouts and all of their other work....

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »

These are the marks....it's normal.

The marks on the pic are from the grinding/sanding process and shouldn't be there. The advertised paint steps that they used for our bikes should not leave those marks especially since they say its a mirror finish. There are candy paint jobs over bare metal that purposely leave sanding and grinding swirls to add effects but the CVOs are not supposed to have them. I'd call corporate.....fyi, my red one is good to go.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »

When I called about trying to get them to paint a helmet to match the bike, they said that they are way back logged for custom work.  she said the lead time on a helmet would be 3-4 weeks!  Imagine what it would take for 1900 CVO Breakouts and all of their other work....

I was told the same thing.  They were all but telling me that they were turning away work at the moment, and really, it was just that they were asking individual customers to hold off for a little while.  During the CVO ramp up and move, the last thing they wanted was a bunch of individual work that needed to be moved and dealt with as well, during contractual obligations.

FWIW, they had my tins for my Heritage Springer last year for about 3 months during the heavy production months.  Not a big deal, as I wanted it done right, and they did it perfectly.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »

That looks more like the "metal grind" method used on some other H-D models.  I don't think it's suppose to be like that on the BO.  It must have passed the "10 foot" rule that H-D uses.  If they say it can't readily be seen from 10 feet away then it's not an issue.  Actually it doesn't have enough marks in it to be called "metal grind" and has too many marks to be called "polished".  To me it wouldn't be an issue but that's just me. I could see how someone else would want it polished to perfection as it should be.  Like many other BO owners have stated here, their paint has no blemishes or sanding marks.  You must know by now that the dealership or the moco will try to explain it away as "it's suppose to be like that".
Jesus is Lord

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »

I purchased the 2013 CVO Breakout in gold. Due to numerous light scratches and blemishes,I am very displeased with the paint quality which was billed as a "mirror" finish.My dealer has only sold (1) mine,and doesn't have anything to compare it to. There is some chat on Youtube claiming delivery of this model has been suspended possibly to a paint issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Those are swirl marks on the raw polished metal.  Its also what makes it cool.  Rust under the clearcoat however, is another story.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »

My red one is perfect...if I were you, I'd call Harley corporate.  The CVO is their flagship.

the crimson bikes have a totally different paint scheme, not utilizing the polished raw metal tanks and fenders
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »

Those are swirl marks on the raw polished metal.  Its also what makes it cool.  Rust under the clearcoat however, is another story.

Take a pic of the rust....

I wonder if it was sanded and polished and sat for a while before next steps in the paint process. :nixweiss:

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »

Take a pic of the rust....

I wonder if it was sanded and polished and sat for a while before next steps in the paint process. :nixweiss:

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »

No doubt that is not good!  That is in a strange spot though....maybe it was a tiny chip that you never saw?  Either way, I hope HD takes care of it.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »

No doubt that is not good!  That is in a strange spot though....maybe it was a tiny chip that you never saw?  Either way, I hope HD takes care of it.
nope, no chip.  Totally smooth above it.  Today I removed passenger pillion and saw a similar rust point coming thru near bolt hole.  MoCo better take care of it....

thewasteguy

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 09:53:27 PM »

Thanks 4 all the input.I also have some very light scratches which I am totally oblivious as to their origin.It appears they could be buffed out.I purchased some HD scratch remover but am afraid to use it.I love the bike but the light scratches and swirls in the paint are bugging me.

NYRdKngLouis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 12:27:53 AM »

I do not own a BO. I do have still a deposit for the M14...but the more I learn about BOs, the less hopes I have that will be a BO M14 production. The reason, so far, is that as we know, the painting job for the Gold and Silver schemes, are hand polished and hand painted. Many of those jobs were perfect but others were not. Hand made things depends on the skill and momentary mood/circumstance of the craftsmen...hence, not al BO paint scheme were created equally the same.
H-D wisely have suspended the production since they have to repair many jobs. The question is...when and to whom they have repaired those issues?...Well, knowing H-D and Corp America...you will need a lawyers letter to be "heard"
On other note, I am wondering if a Insurance company have to replace painted parts and they do not match...what then...this is a fairly common problem in particular with the sophisticated CVO paint scheme.

Just saying

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »

I do not own a BO. I do have still a deposit for the M14...but the more I learn about BOs, the less hopes I have that will be a BO M14 production. The reason, so far, is that as we know, the painting job for the Gold and Silver schemes, are hand polished and hand painted. Many of those jobs were perfect but others were not. Hand made things depends on the skill and momentary mood/circumstance of the craftsmen...hence, not al BO paint scheme were created equally the same.
H-D wisely have suspended the production since they have to repair many jobs. The question is...when and to whom they have repaired those issues?...Well, knowing H-D and Corp America...you will need a lawyers letter to be "heard"
On other note, I am wondering if a Insurance company have to replace painted parts and they do not match...what then...this is a fairly common problem in particular with the sophisticated CVO paint scheme.

Just saying

It's been my experience that while there has been no doubt about various issues with our bikes, Harley has come thru for me, 100% of the time.  My 2011 CVO Softail Convertible had a paint issue that they took care of, replaced several set of mirrors with peeling chrome, oil leaks etc.  It helps to have a good relationship with your dealer of course, as they can go to bat for you . . . or not.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »

I also have a gold Breakout and I can see sanding or finishing marks under the paint.  The marks are not in the paint but, on the metal itself.  I was told by my dealer that was the intended look.

I also heard of a paint issue with the Breakout but, it was a supply issue not a quality problem. 

Can owners of the black and/or burgundy Breakout see finishing or sanding marks on your tank and front fender?  Please share your observations.

My crimson red paint is absolutely steller....no sanding marks anywhere, but with the dark paint and lace pattern it might be had to see.  I looked at it from various angles, close up and almost parallel to the surface and can't see any sanding or grinding marks...
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

13brkoutCVO

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »

I watched several introductory YouTube videos of the BO.  In a few I could see machine marks thru the paint (in the video) and in at least two videos the dealer refers to "seeing finishing marks" in the metal in the gold BO.  I also went back to my local HD dealer today and asked about the paint issue and was assured that was the look HD intended. 

BREAKOUT_NOW

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »

I just got back from our local dealer and they had a polished/black model on the floor. The tank definitely didn't look finished enough to start polishing it out. Looks like they didn't go through all the phases of sanding to dress it out....looked like they stopped at 220 in some spots.

thewasteguy

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 07:51:58 PM »

I met with the regional rep for HD yesterday.He agreed that the tank showed scratches  and was bewildered as to how they could be under the clear coat.I accepted his offer to coordinate a buffing and polishing professionally with my dealer.He claims that the lines that are parallel reflects the intended look,however many lines look like scratches and have no pattern. He also claimed that they did not suspend distribution of the model and all 1900 units were built,sold,and delivered.I was approached by a person that ordered one last August and is now being told he can't get it.I'll keep everyone posted.Bob (thewasteguy)

ozdrums

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »

My Black & Silver has the exact same marks. Mine also has a half inch cloudy halo around the gas cap trim ring. The dealer doesn't know what caused it. They claimed it wasn't there when the bike was prepped but appeared while waiting for me to pick it up. The service manager speculated that maybe the cleaning products used to clean the bike after prep maybe caused the halo or maybe when they filled the tank with gas some spilled and got under the clear. The good news is that the dealer notified HD and sent them photos of the problem. They have agreed to replace the tank. It's been on order for a week now. Hopefully the new one will look better.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »

They have agreed to replace the tank. It's been on order for a week now. Hopefully the new one will look better.
[/quote]
Seems like the MoCo is acknowledging the paint problems and making good on them.  I doubt the 2014 CVO Breakouts will have the same polished raw metal paint scheme.

psdj52

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 08:25:39 AM »

I highly doubt there will be a 2014 CVO Breakout. I have a Gold Dust CVO Breakout. It looks perfect. You can see very fine lines in the finish. I love the look and to be honest you really have to take a very close look to even see it. The MOCO never intended the look to be a perfectly smooth finish other wise they would have chromed the top on the Black and Silver and the Gold Dust models.

wpk

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »

I have had my black/silver BO for 6 months...I'm pretty meticulous with all our bikes.  Just this week I noticed 3 small marks on the tank.  I'm certain they weren't there before or I would have noticed them.  They are under the clear...no scratch on the surface.  Is that description consistent with what you experienced?  About how long is the mark in your pic?  Mine are very small...about 3MM I would say.  Did HD resolve this for you?  If so, what did they do?  Thank you in advance for any information.

thewasteguy

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 09:57:06 PM »

I can't believe I just noticed your post. The regional manager claims they are surface scratches but I disagreed. He took it in and detailed it and the scratches vanished.Within 4 weeks what appears to be the exact same scratches reappeared in the exact same spot.I called to complain and was told my assertion was impossible.Once they buff the clear coat it would be impossible for the same scratches to reappear. I recently sent him pictures of the scratches and asked him to compare them to the originals(which came with the bike)I was told the tank was defective and would be exchanged.NEW service mgr/ promise not kept.
I've asked them to assume responsibility if the scratches do in fact "line up". If they don't,I must be wrong,however I have absolutely no idea how they could have occurred. I love it. R&R Racing pipes with race tuner,extra chrome,calipers,etc. Still have yours?   e-mail  president@pinardwaste.com

wpk

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »

I can't believe I just noticed your post. The regional manager claims they are surface scratches but I disagreed. He took it in and detailed it and the scratches vanished.Within 4 weeks what appears to be the exact same scratches reappeared in the exact same spot.I called to complain and was told my assertion was impossible.Once they buff the clear coat it would be impossible for the same scratches to reappear. I recently sent him pictures of the scratches and asked him to compare them to the originals(which came with the bike)I was told the tank was defective and would be exchanged.NEW service mgr/ promise not kept.
I've asked them to assume responsibility if the scratches do in fact "line up". If they don't,I must be wrong,however I have absolutely no idea how they could have occurred. I love it. R&R Racing pipes with race tuner,extra chrome,calipers,etc. Still have yours?   e-mail  president@pinardwaste.com

No longer have mine.  Enjoyed it for a year, then traded it on a 2014 CVO Road King about a month ago.  The riding position on the Breakout just wasn't that comfortable for me, especially for extended miles.  Then, when I experienced the paint blemishes and read about the same with others, I decided to make the move.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 21 queries.