Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Road Tech Zumo 660 Problems  (Read 18434 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Road Tech Zumo 660 Problems
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »

Since late April have had some real problems with the Road Tech 660. 

1. Original unit would not find a satellite.

2. Sent back, Garmin sent a non-Road Tech 660. Sent back.

3. Then, Garmin sent a Road Tech 660 that froze in Recalculate mode about an hour after I got it. Sent back.

4. Next Garmin sent a RT 660 that had no audio, unless you count ear splitting static.  About 2 hours after using it on it's first ride.  Sent it back.

5. Now Garmin sends a RT 660 that freezes up, then no audio, then unfreeezes.  Would say it was spastic, basically.

That makes THREE reconditioned units Garmin has sent that do not work, plus a wrong one..  Asked Garmin for a new HD RT 660 (after the first & second & now) & basically all I get is unhappy horsechit from them about sending ANOTHER recon unit that has been "tested."  Curly with the 3 Stooges could have done better than Garmin has here.  So I am "spreading the love."  What Garmin is doing is sending old non working units out as "recon" units.  Basically just recycling their problems to other locations, by second day air.  Not good business. Have documented all of this & have some things in mind.

If you have a Road Tech 660, best hope it does not break.  Am working this out now with HD Corp. & my local dealer.  HD Milwaukee knows this is an issue & is blaming Garmin for sending out crap units as replacements.

If you have had issues with your HD RT 660, would like to hear about them.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Road Tech Zumo 660 Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:40:23 AM »

ALL the replacement units from Garmin were crap basically right out of the box.  After getting 3 non working units, I contacted customer service at HD in Milwaukee.  They are aware of these issues with Garmin.  Got a reference nmber and they suggested getting my local dealer involved.  I did.  An hour later got a phone call to pick up my new Road Tech 660.  Local dealer comes through when Garmin would not.   :2vrolijk_21:

If you have problems with a HD 660 beyond the early waranty period when they supposedly would ship a new unit, suggest dealing with your HD dealer instead of Garmin.  I gave Garmin a MONTH to resolve this & at last contact all they would do was ship ANOTHER reconditioned unit.  My opinion of Garmin has dropped considerably & now they are ranked with a number of other companies that simply could care less about customer service beyond the sale.  Funny thing, on my non H D 550 they were great to work with.  

If somebody comes up with a Smart Phone with decent built in programmable GPS that could be handlebar mounted or... a bike radio is integrated with a great GPS as autos sometimes are now - does not bode well for stand alone GPS units that are most common now.  Add Bluetooth with no wires to that handlebar mounted phone & a lot of issues are solved.  Just thinking out loud,taking off on an idea JC had.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »

My 660 doesn't have issues finding satellites nor does it seem to have any issues using the stock HD headset and boom... however, it does like to jump between the audio volume controls on the Karmin Stereo and 660 randomly... giving me two separate volumes at awkward times, like having both somewhat in sync at highway speeds, only to switch to the 660 volume (matched at highway speed) while I'm sitting at a stop/redlight.  Makes for a sudden shock to your system.  Once I return the volume to a comfortable setting while stopped, when I get back up to highway speeds, it switches again to the 660 setting which is now almost inaudible.  The dealer thinks it may be wire chaffing on the Karmin unit verses the 660, but still can't explain why it switches back and forth randomly.  While using the CB the other day without the Intercom being on, the boom mic would randomly open, although it wasn't transmitting thru the CB, I could still hear the ambient road noise and the stereo at the same time.  When the boom would activate during the Intercom use, it could be compensated by the voice activation setting, but the CB is PTT.  The reason I know the CB wasn't transmitting during this open mic scenario, is that the bike I was talking to did not hear anything I was saying while it appeared to be open.  During normal use, either CB or Intercom, the stereo always mutes during conversation.

Don't know how this information helps anyone, but would like to know if anyone else is having similar issues.  Thanks for the option to add my two cents.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »

Have only had mine a few weeks.  From brand new out of the box, however, it won't read a memory card.  After discovering after the fact (my bad, like of pre-purchase homework) that many have done this and that unit replacement does not solve the problem I've chosen to live with it. 

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »

Have only had mine a few weeks.  From brand new out of the box, however, it won't read a memory card.  After discovering after the fact (my bad, like of pre-purchase homework) that many have done this and that unit replacement does not solve the problem I've chosen to live with it. 

I thought about expanding the memory myself so I could load all of the topo maps I purchased way back when for my Garmin 60C, only to realize the maps already on the RT 660 are more than plenty.  That, and the accuracy of the display (where you are on the road system) on the 660 is far more than that of the 60C.  Can't wait to see how it responds in the Lower 48 next Summer. 8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

C2CRider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »

Other than operator error, no.    Forgot I had the AUX selected and after a very long relaxing quiet few hundred miles it suddenly spoke to me.... dang near chit my pants and almost dumped by bike!!  I've not make that mistake again!! 

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: Re: Re: Road Tech Zumo 660 Problems
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:24:32 AM »

My 660 doesn't have issues finding satellites nor does it seem to have any issues using the stock HD headset and boom... however, it does like to jump between the audio volume controls on the Karmin Stereo and 660 randomly... giving me two separate volumes at awkward times, like having both somewhat in sync at highway speeds, only to switch to the 660 volume (matched at highway speed) while I'm sitting at a stop/redlight.  Makes for a sudden shock to your system.  Once I return the volume to a comfortable setting while stopped, when I get back up to highway speeds, it switches again to the 660 setting which is now almost inaudible.  The dealer thinks it may be wire chaffing on the Karmin unit verses the 660, but still can't explain why it switches back and forth randomly.  While using the CB the other day without the Intercom being on, the boom mic would randomly open, although it wasn't transmitting thru the CB, I could still hear the ambient road noise and the stereo at the same time.  When the boom would activate during the Intercom use, it could be compensated by the voice activation setting, but the CB is PTT.  The reason I know the CB wasn't transmitting during this open mic scenario, is that the bike I was talking to did not hear anything I was saying while it appeared to be open.  During normal use, either CB or Intercom, the stereo always mutes during conversation.

Don't know how this information helps anyone, but would like to know if anyone else is having similar issues.  Thanks for the option to add my two cents.

Do you have a NIM installed? If so it might be a bad module. I had the problem you described for your CB. Disconnect the NIM and see if the problem goes away.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:58:18 AM »

Do you have a NIM installed? If so it might be a bad module. I had the problem you described for your CB. Disconnect the NIM and see if the problem goes away.

You hit the nail square on the head. :2vrolijk_21:

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »

Have not had that volume issue.

So far the non SD card reading glitch as been a minor PITA.  Turning the unit off & on will make it find the card - sometimes.

Not 660 related, but my OLD 550 stopped working & the guy I sold it to sent it back to Garmin.  Well out of warranty so they told him they would send a refurbished unit in 6-10 days.  3 weeks went by - no 550.  He called them & supposedly they are sending him a NEW 550 due to "problems in their service dept."  Not sure he will actually get a new unit since they told me this on my 660 but after I checked found out they sent a recon unit instead.

My gut guess is this: Garmin is selling a LOT of GPS units.  The bike sales are ok/good & Zumo is good profit, but overall, sales to the bike trade are a very small % of overall Garmin sales.  As such, Zumos can get treated like a red headed stepchild in their service area.  I sent them a very reasonable email of my concerns as to how they mishandled my 660 situation.  Got no response back - did not expect one.  I consider such ignorance to be very unprofessional, regardless of where it comes from.  When it comes from a company as big as Garmin, it indicates a lot of internal issues & their inability to respond in a reasonable manner in a reasonable time frame speaks volumes.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »

Is this why they commit hari-kari? 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »

;D

Prolly.

That's a one-off kind of hobby.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »

Mine's done a couple of odd things...Once, when using it in the car, I hit a traffic jam on the interstate and so punched in "Detour".  The thing started talking to me like Alvin and the Chipmunks were living in the GPS.  Turned it off for a minute, then back on...no problem.  Then it did it out of the blue again, so punched my original route and it stopped.   :nixweiss:

Another time we were on the bike out in the boonies and descended down into a canyon of sorts...the GPS started this high pitched, constant, obnoxious, ear piercing, LOUD tone through my headset.  I'm really not sure if it was the GPS or the HK, and there may have been some kind of transmitter nearby making it happen.   :nixweiss:

Electronic chit that is not always repeatable sucks...

The other issue I'm having is when I do a route in Mapsource and then transfer it to the GPS...it will only allow me to transfer one route at a time.  I have to transfer, unhook, put the battery cover back on, take the cover back off, hook back up to the PC, then transfer another route, etc.  Don't know WTF is going on there.

Not good to hear that Garmin is sucking so bad in their customer service
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »

Mine's done a couple of odd things...Once, when using it in the car, I hit a traffic jam on the interstate and so punched in "Detour".  The thing started talking to me like Alvin and the Chipmunks were living in the GPS.  Turned it off for a minute, then back on...no problem.  Then it did it out of the blue again, so punched my original route and it stopped.   :nixweiss:

Another time we were on the bike out in the boonies and descended down into a canyon of sorts...the GPS started this high pitched, constant, obnoxious, ear piercing, LOUD tone through my headset.  I'm really not sure if it was the GPS or the HK, and there may have been some kind of transmitter nearby making it happen.   :nixweiss:

The other issue I'm having is when I do a route in Mapsource and then transfer it to the GPS...it will only allow me to transfer one route at a time.  I have to transfer, unhook, put the battery cover back on, take the cover back off, hook back up to the PC, then transfer another route, etc.  Don't know WTF is going on there.

Sorry the tangent.  But I hate MapSource.  Anyone found good alternatives that will create files in the Garmin format?

TC, rather than taking the back off to make your connection to the PC have you tried just attaching the unit to the car connector and using that USB port?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 02:02:25 PM »

Sorry the tangent.  But I hate MapSource.  Anyone found good alternatives that will create files in the Garmin format?

TC, rather than taking the back off to make your connection to the PC have you tried just attaching the unit to the car connector and using that USB port?

No, hadn't thought of that.  I've only had the car mount out of the box once and really didn't pay any attention to the thing other than power and how to mount the damn unit.  Good idea though.  I really don't understand why they would put a USB port INSIDE the battery cover, and then enable the unit to know that the cover is off and not allow you to do anything until it's back on.  Weatherproofing would be a reason, but there are other ways to skin that cat.

Or, I could just be stupid...that's a very real probability.

Yes, Mapsouce sucks big ones, but I don't know of an alternative.  :nixweiss:

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

No, hadn't thought of that.  I've only had the car mount out of the box once and really didn't pay any attention to the thing other than power and how to mount the damn unit.  Good idea though.  I really don't understand why they would put a USB port INSIDE the battery cover, and then enable the unit to know that the cover is off and not allow you to do anything until it's back on.  Weatherproofing would be a reason, but there are other ways to skin that cat.

Or, I could just be stupid...that's a very real probability.

Yes, Mapsouce sucks big ones, but I don't know of an alternative.  :nixweiss:

Have only used that connection once but it seemed a lot more comfortable idea for regular use than repetitively opening the weather sealed cover.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 02:31:54 PM »

Crap the Garmin 660 was my next purchase.  Is the 665 having these problems too?
I hate spending top dollar to have something that has a bunch of quirks.

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 02:34:26 PM »

Unless it came installed on the bike, I haven't added anything.  I checked a service manual clip posted elsewhere in this forum and it indicates that the NIM is located inside the fairing.  I have yet to explore all the magic behind the fairing.

The cradle for mounting the unit is installed on the dash, and this problem with the CB occurred only recently, and only the one outing... so you may be absolutely correct that there may be a bad module...  sounds like a Winter project for me though, as I don't like leaving the bike with the service techs when I could be out riding.

Thanks for the input... looks like I've got a bit more reading on here to help me isolate potential problems with the gps interfacing with the stereo.
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones to have the 660 and the NIM work well together...next time home, if we get a rain day or two I am planning on doing the install. Anything other than checking the speaker brackets for cracks to look for behind the fairing while it's off?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 03:14:45 PM »

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones to have the 660 and the NIM work well together...next time home, if we get a rain day or two I am planning on doing the install. Anything other than checking the speaker brackets for cracks to look for behind the fairing while it's off?

Might check for TwoLane's dead cat.

:nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »

If you hate Mapsource, wait until you try BaseCamp!   :stars:

Last I heard, this is the replacement.  In true Garmin fashion, they tried to make it do everything, so now it does nothing well!

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
Big Lew
IBA #595

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »

My current unit does not do the chipmunk voices or the LOUD tone, but 1 of the "reconditioned" replacement units they sent did this all the time.  It got stuck in chipmunk mode - GPS as well as MP3.  I was in the middle of a ride I was leading & it pissed me right the hell off.  Both are known issues with Garmin - sporadic.  Idiot tech told me to turn it on, turn it of, then update the software - which I had already done.  He could here Alvin over the phone, so they sent me another one which had some effing damn problem.  My dealer came through for me - Garmin did not.

May want to see about getting a replacement if it keeps doing this.  That tone HURT my ears & it did it several times during the ride until I turned the volume off.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »

Sorry the tangent.  But I hate MapSource.  Anyone found good alternatives that will create files in the Garmin format?

Thanks.  Have not tried that but will next time.  You know stuff about stuff.   :2vrolijk_21:

Mapsource sucks the sweat off the devil's nutsack in hell, other than that, I hate it.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »

My current unit does not do the chipmunk voices or the LOUD tone, but 1 of the "reconditioned" replacement units they sent did this all the time.  It got stuck in chipmunk mode - GPS as well as MP3.  I was in the middle of a ride I was leading & it pissed me right the hell off.  Both are known issues with Garmin - sporadic.  Idiot tech told me to turn it on, turn it of, then update the software - which I had already done.  He could here Alvin over the phone, so they sent me another one which had some effing damn problem.  My dealer came through for me - Garmin did not.

May want to see about getting a replacement if it keeps doing this.  That tone HURT my ears & it did it several times during the ride until I turned the volume off.

The strange thing about the "tone" is the volume on the handlebar did nothing.  I was going down a really steep, barely blacktopped road into a place called Buck's Pocket...a couple of 120 degree turns at slow speed...it rattled my brain.  Both hands were busy, but did manage to get it turned off.  Judi unplugged her headset.  So loud it was actually painful...like a loud feedback loop on a stage mic.  Did you notice anything odd about where you were when it did it?  I attributed it to my location, 'cause it didn't do it when I got out of the canyon.

Mapsource does fun stuff...like having you get off an interstate in a place you're not familiar with...then get right back on.  Or get off, go 100 yds, then do a U-turn.  Things that make you say bad words.  Buggy piece of chit...

TTS Mastertune

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 04:22:36 AM »

try Tyre.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »

try Tyre.

Thanks for the option.  Will check it out.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 10:59:20 AM »

The strange thing about the "tone" is the volume on the handlebar did nothing.  I was going down a really steep, barely blacktopped road into a place called Buck's Pocket...a couple of 120 degree turns at slow speed...it rattled my brain.  Both hands were busy, but did manage to get it turned off.  Judi unplugged her headset.  So loud it was actually painful...like a loud feedback loop on a stage mic.  Did you notice anything odd about where you were when it did it?  I attributed it to my location, 'cause it didn't do it when I got out of the canyon.

Mapsource does fun stuff...like having you get off an interstate in a place you're not familiar with...then get right back on.  Or get off, go 100 yds, then do a U-turn.  Things that make you say bad words.  Buggy piece of chit...

The unit did it over & over but could not "make" it when I wanted to show it to anyone.  Only one of the 660's I had did that & yes it was painfully loud.  I was on flat roads the last time it did this.  Was not in any mountain or hilly area.

When you make a map do you blow up the map in Mapsource - extremely large - to make sure you are sticking the waypoint pin on the right side of the road & not inadvertently sticking the waypoint in as a side street?  I learned that a long while back.  Will not go into detail as to how but hopping railroad tracks in a 2 block circle does not make for a pleasant Garmin routed experience.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »

try Tyre.

Thanks.  Initial read looks promising. 

Any time saving tips for those of us who would like to view Mapsource as a VERY distant & unpleasant memory?

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 03:29:11 PM »

try Tyre.

If needed, when I plan a long trip I use MS Streets & Trips or my Rand McNally software for the actually itinerary... as it lets you program stop times, travel speeds, scenic routes, etc...  I'll then program the important waypoints into a route on the GPS.  When I planned my trip (in the cage) from Texas to Alaska back in '98 I spent about two months tweaking the itinerary and actually made every stop within 30 mins of what the software predicted.  I doesn't take much to print, fold, and stuff the itinerary for reference.  I only use MapSource to keep my self established waypoints as a backup in case the GPS crashes and needs to be replaced.
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »

It had me going in circles in Memphis one afternoon and down dead end streets in a not very healthy neighborhood.  Bad thing was that 3 other bikes were following me thur this drill until I decided to just use it for Sirus/XM and go back to the old form of navigation.  Don't trust that new-fangled chit anymore.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Alesius

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »

I've used my 660 across Europe and in the US this year (came with Europe installed, I purchased a memory card and the North America maps). In the US I used it during our vacation in a rental car - it worked great except that some (very) small roads were missing.
Around Switzerland, Germany, Austria I never had problems. In Eastern Europe (e.g. Czech Rep or Hungary) the maps are surprisingly accurate, although there were 2-3 occasions where it led me through a road that was closed for cars & motorcycles. No big issue.

There are very few things I would like changed, e.g. some of the frequently used functions are hidden deep in the menu system. I also didn't find a way how to skip a waypoint. Beside of that I'm quite happy with the device.

I use Tyre to plan my trips. Tried also RouteConverter and MapSource, but Tyre works just fine for me.

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »

I'm disappointed in the screen clairty compared to the 550 the 660 and 665 seem washed out

I've gotten used to mapsource and don't have many problem but have been using it for 4 or 5 years
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »

@Alesius:

as I suppose you speak German too you may look here for a very comprehensive alternative manual including tips how to "tune" the 660 a little bit.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

glenn bob

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »

Tcmbham

Don't know if this will help but the new 660 comes with a DC plug and back connector (for use in a car or what ever).  the connector that goes on the back of the 660 has an input the same as the one by the battery.  So you do not have to take the battery cover off to program the 660.
Glenn
Glenn bob

J-J

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »

Tcmbham

Don't know if this will help but the new 660 comes with a DC plug and back connector (for use in a car or what ever).  the connector that goes on the back of the 660 has an input the same as the one by the battery.  So you do not have to take the battery cover off to program the 660.
Glenn

Hi Glenn @ all,
unfortunately this does not work, you'll get a message saying that you have plugged in the USB cable to the wrong port... So I am afraid the port behind the battery cover is the only one you could use to connect to a PC.

But I just liek to ask, if anyone has been able to use a standard Garmin 660 (not the RoadTech labelled one) with the HD Audio? I was not aware, that there would be differences and thought I could use the 660 I had with my RG - but  :oops:... voice does not come thru and Radio/CD, etc. not muted.
Does anyone know about a firmware tweak that will make that work?

If there are already tips out there, then sorry, have not been able to find them.

Thanks & greetings
Jens

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »

I found out Friday that the car mount doesn't help with transferring routes to the GPS...Mapsource does not "find" the GPS.

No, the regular 660 will not communicate through the NIM and interupt to give NAV directions.  It has to be the Roadtech version, as it sends a signal to the radio through the NIM to mute for directions.

TTS Mastertune

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 04:01:26 AM »

But I just liek to ask, if anyone has been able to use a standard Garmin 660 (not the RoadTech labelled one) with the HD Audio? I was not aware, that there would be differences and thought I could use the 660 I had with my RG - but  :oops:... voice does not come thru and Radio/CD, etc. not muted.

your dealer should have known and told you
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2011, 06:02:10 AM »

Dealers know very little about the electronics on these bikes. I receive dozens of calls from techs and new owners asking how to connect the GPS so that the customer can listen to MP3, phone calls, XM and weather. They think all audio goes thru the NIM, some techs do not even know the bike has a NIM or what it is supposed to do or how to tell if it is working correctly or not they just go by what the Harley training guide says and that is what they end up telling the customers. They also tell them that you can make a phone call because that is what it says in the guides. But it says right hear in the book that you can make a phone call using the GPS and I say "as long as you are not moving and you do not have a full face helmet on". I have to convince them that the customer needs an HD Bomm in order to use the helmet microphone and they have to connect to the Auxiliary input port in order to hear any audio from the GPS other then a turn prompt. You can not depend on the sales person I had to show them and explain why at a local dealership before they believed me.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »

Dealers know very little about the electronics on these bikes. I receive dozens of calls from techs and new owners asking how to connect the GPS so that the customer can listen to MP3, phone calls, XM and weather. They think all audio goes thru the NIM, some techs do not even know the bike has a NIM or what it is supposed to do or how to tell if it is working correctly or not they just go by what the Harley training guide says and that is what they end up telling the customers. They also tell them that you can make a phone call because that is what it says in the guides. But it says right hear in the book that you can make a phone call using the GPS and I say "as long as you are not moving and you do not have a full face helmet on". I have to convince them that the customer needs an HD Bomm in order to use the helmet microphone and they have to connect to the Auxiliary input port in order to hear any audio from the GPS other then a turn prompt. You can not depend on the sales person I had to show them and explain why at a local dealership before they believed me.

Jim
So right you are Jim.  And it is not just dealers - even experienced owners do not understand.  Acquaintance of mine insists that his stock bike with no HD Boom, etc, can make and receive phone calls and talk thought his headset mic using his Zumo which has bluetooth capability.  Obviously he has not tried this and I politely told him this was not the case but could see that he was firmly convinced so I just dropped the subject.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 10:33:10 AM »

that may well be - but it's no excuse at all  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

J-J

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

Hi All,
so just sharing what I found out meanwhile from different resources, for the ones that did not know about it before (like me.... :o )

Harley required a special tone in the RT to work with the audio system, so the zumo does not, will never have that tone. And since nobody seems to have yet been successfully able to load the RT firmware on a native Garmin, I will also not invest more time and just go for a new one and sell off the Garmin.

Chz. Jens

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:07 PM »

Hi All,
so just sharing what I found out meanwhile from different resources, for the ones that did not know about it before (like me.... :o )

Harley required a special tone in the RT to work with the audio system, so the zumo does not, will never have that tone. And since nobody seems to have yet been successfully able to load the RT firmware on a native Garmin, I will also not invest more time and just go for a new one and sell off the Garmin.

Chz. Jens

Probably the best/easiest course of action... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »

I got to use the 660 in the Jeep this weekend in and around Vancouver....I'm disappointed. My 6 year old TomTom with 3year old maps works better. The 660, between YVR and the Horseshoe Bay Ferry terminal recalculated more than 20 times (I lost count at 17...and it recalc'd a few more times). That's not so good, as it decided that I should have turned at the intersection I just went through.....a few times!....so, recalc again......

Turnoffs with street names that have had the same name for 100 years are wrong. Granville Street...that's a new street,right?

The only speed limit that it has displayed in Canada has been on part of HWY 1. TomTom does not do them all, but, probably almost half.

Lane assist does not acknowledge a lane as a turning lane if you have a choice of going straight or turning left( or turning right as well in some instances) in that lane......it kept me in the far left lane...waiting and waiting...until I got around the curve leading to the turn and could see the lane signs.

On Hornby Island, it had me drive right by the turnoff to the ferry that was a couple hundred yards away, around a curve so it was not visable from the intersection....and had me drive a big (6 kms) loop on a dirt road (with dirt road avoidance enabled) to approach the ferry straight on at the intersection I should have gone left at.

In downtown Vancouver, it is slow to update position and loses satellites often....the TomTom rarely does. Yes, I had both of them running for this comparison.

While sitting still at an intersection, it will change my heading direction, as if I am rotating in one direction....then the other........

Garmin customer service certainly was not much help. Suggested turning off off all avoidances....carpool, unpaved, seasonal, and u-turn is what was on. None of these should have been a factor anywhere I have had issues.....except maybe once it recalc'd after sending me through am intersection I should have turned at.....it might have had me attempt a u-turn during evening rushhour.

Yes, software and map was updated a couple weeks ago, shortly after I got the unit.

TomTom: $129 six years ago
Zumo 660: $509 a month ago

I sure wish TomTom made a motorcycle unit!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:44:06 PM by dayne66 »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »

Mine has no audio volume what so ever, same level at 100% as 50% a bare whisper
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »

.......going through the settings, I found the 'map detail' set to high.......maybe it will help with the recalc'ing issues to set it to 'normal', if it allows the screen to refresh in a more timely fashion...here's to hopin'!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 03:22:29 AM »

map details don't matter - at least with my (until now 2) 660.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »

TomTom use to make the Rider for motorcycles.  I checked and it seems that they only have Europe versions now.  Might be able to find an old North American version.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »

TomTom use to make the Rider for motorcycles.  I checked and it seems that they only have Europe versions now.  Might be able to find an old North American version.

I had considered that option...but.....lack of mounts, at least, nice ones. And, things like the MP3 player and the interface. I'm going to see if I can at least get the nav part working right! 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 24 queries.