Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I find my primary scary. Can't believe I wasted all this money on a Harley.  (Read 3768 times)

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Ride it like you stole it and quit worrying about it breaking.  I beat the day lights out of my 110 and never had an issue.  Every time I had it out I was Smokin the tire, bouncing off the rev limiter, running wide open.  Never failed to get me home.  Seemed to run even better after you let it stretch its legs and clear its lungs.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member

I have had many HDs and several CVOs.  The 110 has never let me down.  I did just replace the lifters only as insurance but other than that she runs great and no problems.  As mentioned earlier and I have posted before, you typically hear about stuff that has an issue.  People don't post "Another day of great riding with no issues".  So it always sounds bad when reading in forums about problems. HDs, like any mechanical device, will eventually break. But overall I have had great experiences with mine!

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited

The primary is dirty, there is no filter, it lubricates a clutch pack, gears and a chain....there are a lot of moving parts in there.  I would challenge anyone to put any fluid in any primary and run it for any length of time, then drain it and have it come out looking pristine.  It isn't going to happen.     

Our 2012 110 was the most reliable, best running, bullet proof bike I had ever owned.......that is until I stopped wearing a full face helmet and started wearing a half helmet instead.  Then the  things you could hear!  I actually brought the bike into the dealer, for all the noises, looked at all sorts of threads here, lost sleep at night, rode like a little old lady (no offense to any little old ladies on here), thinking that the bike was literally going to explode.  I ran Redline Primary in the primary, Shockproof in the transmission, and V-Twin in the motor, changing it all every 5,000 miles.  Then I said WTF, I have the ESP so might as well ride it and enjoy it!  I started going with simple Mobil 1 V-Twin in all three holes, and changing just the motor oil every 5,000 miles.  I did this for another 35,000 miles before trading it in a month ago.  On top of all that, I even put about 18,000 of those miles on while towing a trailer.  You can bash Harleys all you want, but if you want someone here to feel sorry for you, this is the wrong place to seek sympathy.  Just my 2 cents.       
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

A basic understanding of a wet clutch explains why the primary fluid turns so quickly.  Not that I have a good basic understanding of a wet clutch, but I read it on the internet so it must be true.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300

Nice to see a couple of folks who haven't had any problems with their 110. The first 70k miles in my primary took 3 Compensators, I broken primary chain, 1 striped clutch hub, and 3 inner primary bearings, all separate issues. Not to mention 2 starter clutches, 1 inner cam chain tensioner, 1 head gasket, 1 base gasket, lifters caught early, heated grips, radio replacement. At 70K the lifters and connecting rod bearings granaded requiring a full rebuild, and not a problem since the rebuild 31K ago.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.