Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Drive belt chirping/squeaking on deceleration  (Read 30399 times)

Volski

Drive belt chirping/squeaking on deceleration
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »

Has anyone experienced their drive belt sqeaking or chirping on deceleration? I've cleaned the belt and pulley, checked adjustments, checked clearances, ect. It is an aftermaket aluminum pulley, it's the correct size and has the correct number of teeth. Worked fine for over a year and now it makes this noise, but only when you let off the throttle. It doesn't do it when you pull the clutch in, either. ( that was checked also; everything O.K.) We've even spayed the belt while the tire was running (on the dyno) and the noise stopped instantly, but starts back after a few miles. Any information would be greatly appreciated.  :nixweiss:

Devil Dog

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Drive belt chirping/squeaking on deceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »

The belt is a little loose. Tighten it up a bit.
Lou
USMC 77-81
"In GOD We Trust"

Volski

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:12:15 AM »

I'll check it and adjust it again. Thanks for the info. ;)

Volski

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »

Checked and tightened belt. Now the chirping and sqeaking is constant. Very annoying and the dealership can't figure it out either. :-\

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »

Jason, a couple times over the years have had or seen "squeaky" belts.  Just like on a car's front belts.  Both that I've dealt with (one my own and one someone elses) took a new belt to make it go away.  Belt dressing or sprays or other products would solve it for a moment (just like on a car's drive belts).  But it would come right back.

Also know of one bike that had a weird squeak from the rear pulley guts.  Though that behaved differently than I understand your description here.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:26:31 PM »

I had this exact problem years ago with one of my Big Dogs. Tried all the stuff you have, then one day I was polishing the billet aluminum on it and thought about all that nasty black residue on the rag. Then I took a bowl with hot water and dawn dishwashing liquid, grabbed a clean rag and started cleaning all that residue off the teeth on my rear aluminum pulley and the belt. Squeeking belts (fan, drive, etc.) are usually caused from dirt or contamination, as well as being too tight or too loose. Guess what? The squeeking on decel was gone! Kept it good and clean from then on and had very few issues. I also found on long trips that if a squeek developed I could use a chunk of parafin wax and rub it on the belt-presto!-no more noise.

Hope this helps, Kelly
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »

Not sure what you are riding but are you 100% sure it is the belt? Several of us have had a similar noise and it was from the rear muffler mount under the saddle bag, spray a little lube on the rubber mount and the chirp disappears.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »

chirp from the rear belt?  :P

Sorry, sometimes I just can't stop myself.  :oops:

Volski

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:20 PM »

I ride a 2009 StreetGlide with a custom 18" rear wheel and pulley, 200mm Dunlop and the bike has around 15,000 miles on it. I do appreciate all the input and am going to put it to good use. If all else fails, I'll replace the belt. I even wondered about spraying WD-40 on the belt. I have cleaned the belt, but not the teeth on the pulley. Noise went away for about 20 miles.  ;)

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »

Check the rear pulley mine was bad on my 07 SE Ultra and made the belt chirp like crazy replaced pulley noise gone.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 03:52:36 AM »

I had a 'chirp' that occurred only when I abruptly rolled off the throttle...a loud, single chirp that I tried everything to get rid of with no success....until a tech in Blackfoot, Idaho heard it when I was in for a service there in '97.  He finally designed a 'jig' to align the rear wheel completely straight and got rid of the chirp altogether.  The wheel had been adjusted many times previously, but was just not completely straight evidently.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »

I had that before on my FXR years ago. Harley sells a tube of stuff called poly lube. Put a couple dabs on the belt and problem was solved. I still have the same tube. Its still good and have used very little over probably a 20 year period.
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »

I had that before on my FXR years ago. Harley sells a tube of stuff called poly lube. Put a couple dabs on the belt and problem was solved. I still have the same tube. Its still good and have used very little over probably a 20 year period.

X2

Used HD poly lube for a noisy belt on my RK.  Still have the same tube - have used it sparingly & only a few times over the 9 years I have owned the bike.  Works great - cheap fix.  HD shop in Ashville, NC recommended it to me.  Up until then the belt sqeaking was more than annoying.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »

X2

Used HD poly lube for a noisy belt on my RK.  Still have the same tube - have used it sparingly & only a few times over the 9 years I have owned the bike.  Works great - cheap fix.  HD shop in Ashville, NC recommended it to me.  Up until then the belt sqeaking was more than annoying.
-Where do you apply it?  The belt edges or on the sproket?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »

-Where do you apply it?  The belt edges or on the sproket?  spyder

Inside surface of the belt.  With my fingers.  Sparingly. Brylcreem method - a little dab will do ya.

Takes only a few minutes, but if done properly requires consumption of 2 beers.  At least.  :drink:

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

Yes put a dab inside the belt or the pulley. Turn your wheel if on a lift or roll the bike forward about 1/2 belt revolution. Now drink a cold beer (important the beer is very cold). Now put another dab on the inside of the belt or on pulley. Now drink your second cold beer then reinstall the cap on the tube. Stand back a few minutes to admire your work and your ready to ride squeak free!  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

Good way to measure time...man/beer hours   :drink: :drink:

After about 4 though, I tend to lose track of both time and parts...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »

Good way to measure time...man/beer hours   :drink: :drink:

After about 4 though, I tend to lose track of both time and parts...

Probably not a good idea to test ride after more than 2 beers? Not preaching cause I have done it myself too many times! JS

Face  :nixweiss:
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »

Probably not a good idea to test ride after more than 2 beers? Not preaching cause I have done it myself too many times! JS

Face  :nixweiss:

Nope...two is my limit when riding, and I rarely do any at all when on the road.  Drinking and motorcycles don't really mix very well, though in my younger days, you couldn't have told me that.  Old age does bring some wisdom...

If I'm going to have more than two, it's after the bike has been parked for the night, or I'm in the basement admiring the bike or something I've done to it...rewarding myself for a job well done... ;D ;)

TTS Mastertune

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 03:37:41 PM »

Inside surface of the belt.  With my fingers.  Sparingly. Brylcreem method - a little dab will do ya.

Takes only a few minutes, but if done properly requires consumption of 2 beers.  At least.  :drink:

If consuming alcohol while applying make sure bike is not on center stand and in gear running.  May cause major damage to your extremities.   :huepfenlol2:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 12:01:57 AM »

If consuming alcohol while applying make sure bike is not on center stand and in gear running.  May cause major damage to your extremities.   :huepfenlol2:

:huepfenlol2:

Must be referring to the "6 pack" application method. 

Volski

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »

While cleaning and adjusting my belt and pulley,...AGAIN, I happened to notice little cracks on the front corners of the cogs on the belt. Not all of them, just a few. I only have around 15,000 miles on this bike and I don't even ride it hard. I guess this means it's time for a new belt? :nixweiss:

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 07:09:40 AM »

If your cogs are cracking/slowly peeling off it is a sign of a loose adjustment. once thay start theres no

stopping it.  I would change the belt.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »

While cleaning and adjusting my belt and pulley,...AGAIN, I happened to notice little cracks on the front corners of the cogs on the belt. Not all of them, just a few. I only have around 15,000 miles on this bike and I don't even ride it hard. I guess this means it's time for a new belt? :nixweiss:

No way a new belt at 15k? That should last at least 50k and I have seen them go 100k on touring bikes. Unless your doing a Chit load of hole shots something is wrong! I have attended the Gates belt seminar at HOG rallies several times. Gates says when you replace a high milage belt you should change both pulleys or you will not get high milage from the new belt. On my FXR at 50k I broke some teeth off doing wheelies in San Fran on those big hills. I bought new belt and pulleys and the difference on the pulley teeth between new and old was night and day. Teeth on the old pulley were squared off. The new one was nice and round. Food for thought.   Face
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »

I can't help but notice that the problem began after installing an aftermarket rear pulley.  I think I would take a long hard look at that pulley before just installing a new belt and hoping the problem doesn't quickly return.  Those belts aren't cheap.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
    • KY

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 09:24:42 AM »

Anyone tried these belts?

http://www.fullthrottlemotorsports.com/eshopprod_cat_7085-25729_prodtree_f2-0213-02257-02389_product_1071478.S_S_GATES_HIGHSTRENGTHFINALDRIVEBELTS.htm

Made by Gates probably the same as the Harley belt. I ran one from Custom Chrome and it was a gates also. Ran fine for 43k. Took a rock thru it after only about 5k. I bought one of those emergency belt kits and put it in the saddle bag for insurance. Belt was still on the bike going strong when I sold it. Even with a hole in it!

2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
1985 Candy Red FXRS

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 02:37:41 PM »

The S&S solution looks promising.  I measured the rear sprocket and it is like 1-1/16".  Is there an aftermarket sprocket that will accept the wider belt? There does not look like there is alto of clearance for the 1 1/2" near the frame but I'm not positive.  If there is an aftermarket sprocket that can use this belt you will have solved the issues of belt breakage when going to the 30T sprocket.  Since my bike is sitting on the jack with a broken belt and no clear solution in sight I'm interested in a permanent fix.

41,500 miles on stock sprocket and belt plus allot of horseplay than changed to the 30T kit and put 3,000 miles and had a shredded Falcon belt and I was riding more conservative than ever.  

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »

The S&S solution looks promising.  I measured the rear sprocket and it is like 1-1/16".  Is there an aftermarket sprocket that will accept the wider belt? There does not look like there is alto of clearance for the 1 1/2" near the frame but I'm not positive.  If there is an aftermarket sprocket that can use this belt you will have solved the issues of belt breakage when going to the 30T sprocket.  Since my bike is sitting on the jack with a broken belt and no clear solution in sight I'm interested in a permanent fix.

41,500 miles on stock sprocket and belt plus allot of horseplay than changed to the 30T kit and put 3,000 miles and had a shredded Falcon belt and I was riding more conservative than ever.  

When you changed to the 30 tooth trans sprocket, did you also change the rear sprocket?  If not, that sprocket may have been severely worn at 40k plus miles which could damage a new belt rather quickly.  Of course, there is always the possibility of just getting a bad belt, and then there is the possibility of the belt being mishandled somewhere along the line.  Belts don't tolerate being forced into a tight bend, for instance, and a nick in the belt can lead to premature failure.

The 1" belts on recent Harley's have not shown a tendency for poor reliability, even with bikes pumping out double the stock power.  Before blaming the narrow belt (the original of which lasted over 40k miles and was still fine when you changed it btw), I'd look for something else like a worn or damaged sprocket.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »

Volski, just a thought here, but check the inside primary cover and make sure the top of your belt is not touching when you are riding. If it is you might see a mark on the top of your belt. I had this happen on one of my older bikes. It made a chirping sound on acc/dec. I took off the inner primary(mine was just a cover from Kuryakyn   and ground off about 1/4 inch where the belt was hitting it and it solved the problem. Good Luck CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »

Sprockets were fine, the 30T was brand new and the rear sprocket only had a few thousand miles on it and I did check it.  Unfortunately I have been hearing quite a bit about Falcon poly belts delaminating within a few thousand miles.  

But your advice is the proper procedure, whenever you have high mileage take the initiative to replace any possible worn parts.  If in doubt check it out rather than do it twice.  In this case there was nothing I could have done.  I will be ordering a new belt, new sprocket, and something that has a driveshaft.  I'm not a mechanic and I'm asking way to much of a product that wasn't intended for my type of riding.
Nuff said.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Volski

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »

I appreciate all of your input. I asked my mechanic and got enlightened on the deal. So heres the story:
     I have air ride on my bike. The belt was adjusted at ride height (when my wife and I ride together) and I dump the air when I ride alone(for that "cool" look  :coolblue:). When the air is dumped, the belt gets loose. Hence the cracks in the cogs. So in turn, I SCREWED myself! I really had no idea that would happen to the belt when running the bike lowered. It never crossed my mind. But anyway, I thank you all. I really do appreciate your guys help and knowledge. ;)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »

I would never go back to the guy who sold you those shocks unless your going to shove them in a hole. the
only one who made out ($$$$$$$) in that deal was him. you cant look cool sitting on the side of road with your
belt laying 200 years back down the road. you may have wanted the shocks but he knew better. jmo  axil

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 06:03:36 AM »

I appreciate all of your input. I asked my mechanic and got enlightened on the deal. So heres the story:
     I have air ride on my bike. The belt was adjusted at ride height (when my wife and I ride together) and I dump the air when I ride alone(for that "cool" look  :coolblue:). When the air is dumped, the belt gets loose. Hence the cracks in the cogs. So in turn, I SCREWED myself! I really had no idea that would happen to the belt when running the bike lowered. It never crossed my mind. But anyway, I thank you all. I really do appreciate your guys help and knowledge. ;)
Well, that's the same with all air adjustable shocks.  I have the Legends and I just adjust the belt for the position that I ride the most.  But my belt seems to do fine even tho it's too tight or too loose at times if the shocks are lowered or higher than normal.  The belt seems to  be OK as long as it's not run that way too long.  spyder

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »

I forget the exact year they made the change, but even Harley only has one spec these days whether the bike is sitting on the rear wheel or it's sitting up on a lift.  So it's not even a consideration IF you stay within the normal range of swingarm travel.  I suppose that all goes out the window if you drop the suspension far enough, but I'm not understanding how you could do that without gouging the inside of the fender.  Anyhow, I'm glad you have an answer.  Now you can either change out those shocks, or just use the lowered position for parking but not riding.  Not only will the belt probably last longer, but you will be safer as well.  BTW, I wouldn't even think about just setting the tension at the lowered ride height, since you would then be tight when riding at normal heights.  Great way to wipe out a bearing.

Jerry

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »

I'm confused...it doesn't take much.  I was under the impression that the relative position(s) of the two sprockets stayed virtually the same within the travel of the swingarm, with shocks attached.  :nixweiss:  With the Legend Air shocks, you can go from fully pumped up, which is (if you got the standard height shock) 13" + or - sag.  The shocks will allow an approximate 3" drop in rear length of the shock, so that would be down to a low of 10" + or - a smidge.  Believe me, you don't want to ride the bike with the shocks lowered all the way down...it's like riding a hardtail...IMO, the purpose (one of them) of the Legend shocks is to lower the bike when parked or parking.  Within that 3", how much would the position of the two sprockets change?  I'm not sure that information is available, but it would surprise me if it changes significantly enough to worry about where the swingarm position is when adjusting the belt.  Surely the radius of the arc the swingarm travels around the front pulley does not change that much.   :nixweiss:

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »

That why, Terry, that I just approximate the usual position that I normally ride my legend shocks and adjust the belt at that position.  When I drop it down to the stops or raise up into the clouds you can feel the belt change tension, but, like you say, you don't ride it (much) at the hard-tail postion.  (unless your drunk, :drink: and I try not to ride that way anymore)  :o har.  spyder

Volski

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »

Yes, I have the Legend Air Ride system. It allows a total of 3/4" between the tire and rear fender at full drop so that if you blow an air line, you can get the bike home or somewhere to make the repair. I never rode it completely let-out, but did ride it with very little air in the shocks. Probably stupid on my part for not considering the belt tension. Live and learn.  :P

hogasm

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »

I have the Legend suspension on the 02 bike. I have to set the belt tension with 15lbs of air in the shocks. If I don't the belt will either be too tight or loose, depending on air pressure, and cause a vibration

Never ride 2 up

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 10:18:39 PM »

put some real shocks on your motor cycle and go for a ride. you don't look cool sitting still!!!! with a snapped
belt on route 144 with a hot blond on the back ( ask my brother). set your bike up to ride first, to look cool second.
                                                                  jmo  axil

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »

The Legends are real shocks, and almost a necessity for some of us who are short in stature, or have short legs.  Just don't ride the bike with them lowered too much and everything is totally fine.  And the ability to adjust them for load/road conditions while on the fly is a great feature.  In fact, they actually ride better loaded, IMO.  I check my belt with the bike up on a J&S jack, and have never had an issue with belt tension.

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 04:09:28 PM »

The point axil makes is a good one.  Looking "cool" should never be the top priority, and it's hard to look "cool" anyway if your bike is sitting disabled on the side of the road or if it throws you in the weeds after it bottoms out.  Using the Legends as Terry described is a valid use of the product; actually riding it bottomed out is not.  First priority should always be safety.

Jerry

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »

It's pretty easy to tell when you "forgot" to put some air in the Legends...about the time you hit the driveway/street interface and your ass comes up off the seat 6 inches...gets my attention real fast. :huepfenlol2:  Dosn't take but once...

TTS Mastertune

charleskmoore2

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2021, 06:52:28 PM »

Has anyone experienced their drive belt sqeaking or chirping on deceleration? I've cleaned the belt and pulley, checked adjustments, checked clearances, ect. It is an aftermaket aluminum pulley, it's the correct size and has the correct number of teeth. Worked fine for over a year and now it makes this noise, but only when you let off the throttle. It doesn't do it when you pull the clutch in, either. ( that was checked also; everything O.K.) We've even spayed the belt while the tire was running (on the dyno) and the noise stopped instantly, but starts back after a few miles. Any information would be greatly appreciated.  :nixweiss:

I had a very similar issue but I did not try the spray as you did so I cannot speak to that.  Mine would chirp as soon as I would let off the throttle.   On the lift, it would chirp when the bike was in gear and you rocked the wheel back and forth.  During freewheel, it would make a low creaking noise.  My mindset is to always start with the easy, cheap and usual issues, here's what I did...
1) Adjusted belt - Nope 
2) Cleaned belt and pulley - Nope
3) Cleaned compensator isolators - Nope
4) Checked alignment each time I did the steps above - Nope
5) Inspected pulley with a bright light - Ah ha! Two hairline cracks I could only see at an angle.  OBTW, they're hollow.
6) Replaced pulley - Problem solved

Hope this helps someone searching for an answer to what they can't seem to find after doing some of the steps above.   It wasn't the answer I wanted, but it was what I ended with. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2021, 11:44:58 PM »

Good analysis and review.  It was to a nearly 10 year old thread though.  Those details can be hard to catch when you're new here.  Welcome aboard and congrats on the first post! 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2021, 05:59:32 PM »

Good analysis and review.  It was to a nearly 10 year old thread though.  Those details can be hard to catch when you're new here.  Welcome aboard and congrats on the first post!
yeah, it had been so long that I'd forgotten about my chirping belt and finally remembered how and where it finally got resolved...at Blackfoot HD in Idaho when a very knowledgeable wrench did his magic alighment and walaa!, no more chirp and still running the same belt and sprockets at 116 K miles.  har!  spyder
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 24 queries.