Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 16 days on the road  (Read 1107 times)

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
16 days on the road
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:22:27 AM »

We just got back to San Diego form a trip that took us to Nashville, Dixon Kentucky and Eville Indiana along with Mammoth Cave and Cumberland falls ending up ioin the Smokeys then back down thru texas an on west to SanDiego. My wife has a lessons learned I thought I would share. I was coming up I 65 around Cool Springs when I looked in my mirror and she wasnt there. I slowed down and some guy in a car pulled up and motioned back. I pulled off at the next intersection not knowing what happened I tried to call but no answer. A few minutes later she pulled in behind me abou to cry. Apparently her side bag had come open and her purse came out on the freeway at 70MPh The highway was full of cars. Well we went back arround and I saw her purse layin in the fast lane, so we pulled over. I was picking up 20s and 50s that had come out of the bag. We were able to find All the money with the exception of a one dollar bill that I couldnt get my fat arm down between the cover to get it. It was a mess. I finally got a lull in the traffic where I could run out and get what was left of the purse. Her perscriptions were smashed,( Parmacy did replace everything, for a fee) we found things a quarter mile up an down from where we parked, her mobile phone was in countless pieces. She said she could she other things on the other side so we went around the deal again and pulled up on the other side. We found more money. We found her Credit cards and her AAA card. We could not find her drivers liscense o her HOG card. I was most glad we found her Credit cards. Her keys to the bike were roughed up and wouldnt work Of course the Harley dealer said there would have to order one, but a locksmith in Eville In was able to make her one that worked just fine.by the time she replaced eveything she had spent about 400 unbudgetted dollars. She now checks to see if those bags are locked if she is just passing by the bike. It did however make us wake up and come up with a plan for if we get separated and there is no phone. Thought I would share this so you could share with your spouses.
Chanman

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: 16 days on the road
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:15:26 AM »

Sorry to hear about your wife's misfortunes, and interesting thought about communicating without cell phones.  There's a thread with some touring tips here:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=36986.0
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 09:31:49 AM »

Sorry to hear about the purse but lesson learned and everybody is ok. How about posting some pics of the trip to end things on a good note?

RidinRuby

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »

What an awful thing to happen. I'm with Trapper, how about a ride report w/photos to clear the air!

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »

I feel so much better about my habit of locking the bags before taking off.  Sorry for your mis-fortune, and glad it was only objects (not your wife!).

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

charlie

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 06:01:28 PM »

Very happy you to are ok.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.