Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: last minute ride to lake george  (Read 2140 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
last minute ride to lake george
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:43:47 AM »

GH and I had been talking about meeting up one day this week and as of Tue night it didnt look like it was going to happen, but a quick phone call yesterday morning changed that. Hung up the phone at 7AM with a departure time of 8AM.  Since this was my first full day of riding of the season and it was not much above freezing yet as i started my day i started doing all of the mental check lists to make sure i was properly prepared for the trip. Around 7:40 I started up the bike to let it warm up as i started to put all of the needed layers of clothing on. around 7:50 i was pulling out of the driveway and headed toward the mass pike (US 90). After clearing the toll booth and getting settled in westbound i locked in the cruise and cranked up the tunes, before long i had passed the interchange for I84 and the pike drops from 3 lanes to 2, almost no traffic now got the gerbings turned up and the butt warmer on low, disengaging the cruise a few times to eases up around the state police cruisers, look down at the GPS and and i'm already half way to lake george.

I was approaching the last rest stop on the mass pike, make a quick stop to top off on fuel and decide to remove the leather face wrap, still kept all other layers on including the head sock.  Pull back onto the mass pike its only about 10 miles to the NY border. before long i'm approaching albany and turning north, now about an hour left till i get to lake george. tempted to stop and pull off the head sock as its starting to warm up slightly but decide to keep going i arrive in lake george just before 11AM took about 3 hrs to do the 205 miles GPS says 3:17 but that includes the warm up time in my driveway.

i pull up to the adirondak brew pub and see that we will need to change our plans......

GH rolls up about 15 minutes later and we agree we need to find a hot cup of coffee before we do anything else. Once we warmed up we spent some time walking around lake george looking for a place for lunch, it was slim pickins in mid april as most places are not yet open for the season, we finally decide to try "pizza jerks", it was a good choice the pizza was good as was the local  :drink: we tried. time goes by a bit too quickly on us before we knew it it was after 2PM and we were both looking at 3+ hr rides home depending on the routes we chose, for the return trip i looked it coming east into VT and back down into MA, but instead followed the champlain canal south i was making good time and river along side, i continued south till i hit rt4 and continued on to troy where i picked up rt2, the nice lady in the GPS was telling me i had lost some time on this route and has to make some decisions i decide to stay on rt2 until i get into MA and will decide on my best route from there, i really wanted to stay on 2 as it's a really nice ride but instead i take rt7 south to the mass pike and head for home, once back on the mass pike i lock in the cruise, content with the choices made, over 300 miles down and still plenty to go till i get home. i found myself riding more defenseivly on the return trip had myself considering exit strategy a few time but not needing to follow through, that is until about 6 or 7 miles from home. i was in the center lane with a vehicle on wither side of me when the one on the right side put on their left directional and started moving left...... survival instinct kicked in as i grabbed front and rear brakes and she passed a few feet in front of me, i think most of the highway heard me as i voiced my opinion of her manuver. with my adreneline rush in high gear i start to grab throttle to catch back up and giver her more  :soapbox: but i instead decide with only 1 or 2 miles till my exit its not worth it i pull into the right and lane and ease up. i get home at almost 7PM on the dot GPS showed the return trip at 221 miles 4:53

SERK and SERG3

overall route for the day 427 miles

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
Re: last minute ride to lake george
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »

No reason to snivel at that ride for sure !!! Sweet!
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:17 PM »

First ride of the year always seems to be the one most appreciated after a New England winter. This was no exception. About 34 degrees when I pulled out at 8am. Fortunately the temp warmed into the low 60's by the afternoon. This time of year is some of the best riding in the Adirondaks as there aren't many cages on the roads  :2vrolijk_21: Turned out to be a B E A U T Ful day for a ride.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:41:41 PM »

:)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »

Camera phone pics  :-[

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »

:coolblue:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »

Great pics!  Camera phone or otherwise.  Sounds / looks like a great day!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »

Fine job lads, good to hear you are getting out...

Here I was sucking out of goin to Dtona cause it "cold" this year... :D

Neal...Eagle Brook in Norfolk, been there?  If not give a shot, short ride.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »

track profile
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »

:D :D

My Sunday ride this weekend...track profile:

"________________________________________________________________________________"

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »

:D :D

My Sunday ride this weekend...track profile:

"________________________________________________________________________________"

:zroflmao: :zroflmao:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »

Last minute rides are just a enjoyable as the planned ones  :2vrolijk_21:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »

Never heard of "Adirondaks", but looks enjoyable with only a few traffic at
this time. Here it stays between 30 and 45F° and no sun at all. Enjoy every
ride you can make!!
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 23 queries.