Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoke Out VII, my take on it.  (Read 1365 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Smoke Out VII, my take on it.
« on: June 25, 2006, 01:17:10 PM »

Recently back from the Smoke Out VII. Here are my thoughts on the event from the perspective of a non-drinker.

I’ll start with the trip to the event. I chose to take the slightly longer route which predominately consists of running down Interstate 81. This was a better scenic route than taking I 95. Unfortunately the weather was not very cooperative as it was very hot. I stopped often to replenish myself with water usually ranging about every 125 miles or so. The view from Interstate 81 is great once you get past Harrisburg, PA. The roads are great and if one was riding a rigid this would have been the better route to go.

While at one of my many stops I talked with an older gentleman who was riding a Honda Goldwing three-wheeler with his wife. They were from Florida and heading to or from upstate NY. They appeared to be well beyond retirement age which made it nice to see them in the wind. They had their bike loaded to the max and they were enjoying every minute of it.

On the way to the event I passed a couple sets of bikes along side the road. Since they were paired bikes I kept rolling as they at least had another bike there to assist them. I came up on a single bike sitting along side the road just around nightfall. I was hard on the binders getting to the side of the road. He had had some fuel line issues but appeared to have sorted them out by the time I stopped. He ran with us right up until we jumped off of our exit.

On our way to the fairgrounds Friday morning we stopped in Tilley’s HD for a problem with the bike my buddy was riding. While he was taking care of business in pulled the bike from the night before. He thanked me for stopping and had made mention of the number of bikes that went right on by. That there alone told me I did the right thing.

Here is where I send out ton’s of props to Tilley’s HD. My buddy’s bike was having ignition issues Thursday while riding down. The ignition switch itself would wiggle some and the bike would shut off. This is the same ignition that left us several months back in a parking lot because it wouldn’t unlock. It was replaced after that episode! Tilley’s said there was a recall on the switch that was just issued and he should be seeing it in the mail soon. They did not have a new ignition in stock but ordered one overnight Saturday delivery. They said if it didn’t show up they would pull one out of a new bike for him. In the end on Saturday they traced it to a plug problem and patched him up and sent him on his way. Again props to Tilley’s for stepping up when so many dealers are way out of touch with their customers.  

This was my first time to the event so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I arrived at the fairgrounds Friday around 10 am. I pulled in with the rest of the bikes and muttered along trying to figure out what to do and where to do it. First I needed to trade in my pre purchased ticket for a wristband. I’m sure glad I listened to the Englishman and pre-purchasd it. The line for gate sales was long. It was unbearably hot and especially for someone from the North who doesn’t come across heat like this often. After getting my wristband this allowed entry to the grounds. Unfortunately the gates didn’t open until 12pm. Dam it was hot. Dripping wet hot. So I walked around and took some pictures. I was amazed at how diverse the bikes were. I really thought this was going to be a bunch of home built bikes and it was but there were a fair share of OEM HD’s and stock bikes.

The built bikes were something to be seen. I looked at over 100 motorcycles and did not see two the same. It is very overwhelming looking at all the ideas and designs and this was just in the pre-staging area. Something I noticed before even getting inside the gates was the commodore. Everyone was friendly despite the heat and waiting. The typical “I bought a more expensive this or that” attitude found at large rally’s was not there.

While waiting to get in I met Death Trap Man, his girl and his buddies. It was nice chatting with them.

The gates finally opened and off we went. Despite the large number of bikes waiting to get in the lines moved pretty dam quick. Entering the grounds looking for a parking spot reveals the wide open laid back event that is often talked about. You can park anyplace your bike fits! The first order of business was to get some water in me. Dam it was hot. In fact it was so hot I went shirtless which is uncharacteristic of me. A quick look around revealed the event was sort of set up like a horseshoe. So I started off by saying my hellos to the familiar faces I’ve met through the years.

Since I’ve only attended the large rallies this one was small in comparison. Unlike the larger events the vendors were set up in small tents, enclosed trailers and make chit booths. No high dollar tractor trailers with multiple sales staff in matching shirts.

Some of those I met while walking around. Kevin Bass who was looking a little hung over. Fab Kevin who is one hell of a craftsman who seems to be in it for the fact he enjoys what he does. He was shaking hands all weekend. Kirk and his wife from Kirk’s Customs over at Club Chopper. They were very nice people who seem to be heading in the right direction with their parts. Tig Man and his two buddies. You have to see the welding on his frames, flawless. He had a CB frame there that was pretty sharp. I was trying to remember all those who post here that were suppose to be in attendance, I just couldn’t. Company logos rang a bell but I couldn’t remember names. One was Bitter End and there were a few more. Sorry guys I’ll try harder next time.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 01:18:30 PM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

Re: Smoke Out VII, my take on it.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 01:19:24 PM »

Now on to the bikes. I looked at better than five hundred bikes and there were not two the same. I was in awe with some of the bikes I looked at. One in particular was a Harley Twin Cam with a single sided swing arm and Torque Trust car wheels front and back. You would have to see the bike to understand the engineering that went into it. This was not a single side swing arm kit. All modern parts but fit right in with the other bikes. This shows where my interests were. The bikes that they vendors were displaying ranged from Redneck who is everywhere to Sucker Punch Sally to names I’ve never heard of. They all had quality bikes. Some of them had all the chrome and paint and some looked like they didn’t have any paint. A very diverse group of bikes to say the least. There was something there for everyone.

I did not stick around for all the activities and events. The heat was too much for me and I needed the air conditioning of the room. Speaking of the room I stayed at Comfort Suites in Lexington. The room was great for the price. Again no big event pricing here. The Hotel was very nice and clean and seemed very happy to have all the bikes there. I saw them handing out rags Saturday morning after the rain Friday night as opposed to using their towels. They had a regular breakfast as opposed to the continental stuff most hotels offer.

Saturday the gates opened at 10 am and there was a line for tickets twice as long as the day before. The rain the night before didn’t seem to slow anyone down. The bikes just rolled right on through what ever was in front of them be it dirt, mud or water puddles. No chrome and billet bikes here. I made my rounds looking at the products being offered up by the vendors. I’ve seen a lot of this stuff in magazines and on web sites but neither of them does the parts justice. I came across newly designed parts, used parts, new parts and one off stuff. I purchased my event shirt to help support all of those who put the event on.

I left North Carolina around noon on Saturday in an attempt to get home. I saw what I wanted to see and did what I wanted to do. I traveled down with someone who is not much of a crowd person nor does he have a great interest in a vast majority of motorcycles. (A little narrow-minded) So I made my way home in several hours of rain.

Overall I really enjoyed the event. The ride down was great and offered a lot of scenery to look at as apposed to dodging pot holes and cagers on cell phones. The event has something to offer to everyone. If you’re looking for the mass-produced stuff, stay home. Next year when I return I’ll try to go with someone who shares similar interests to my own. If it weren’t for the ungodly heat and the downpours Friday afternoon I would have stayed to see more of the activities. I guess that is something to look forward to next year.

Something I would change to further the event. Since there are lines waiting for tickets, lines to gain entry or their buddies, set up a booth outside the gate selling assorted refreshments.

Now a little information on my personal ride down. I’ve been preparing Budget Build to go for a while now. I had it nailed as I could ride my beater bike down and than strip it of its ugly travel gear. Well sometimes the best-laid plans go to hell. I made it about a hole two miles from my house when the throttle cable broke. chit, this is the same one I broke in Daytona and didn’t fix. I did fix the headlight from Myrtle though! So a little bummed I pulled the cable out hooked my vise grips onto it and rode the bike home I transferred all of my gear over to the bagger and off I went. Hat’s off to my bagger for just up and going on a moments notice. I didn’t expect to take the bagger so I didn’t prep it for the trip. No servicing or cleaning. I still had the fairing lowers on the bikes. They killed me in the heat on the way down but saved my legs in the rain on the way home.

Running across the first section of Route 78 in PA bounced my radio loose in the fairing. At one of the fuel stops I pulled the fairing off and “rigged” it to get me by. While in Lexington I visited the local Lowes and picked up some tools and hardware to fix the bike the right way. Since I jumped from the intended traveling bike to the reliable bike I had left my tools in the other bike. I vowed that wouldn’t happen again and I picked up enough tools to make a second tool bag for the bagger. Now when I stop to help a brother in need I should at least have the proper tools. Next will be some assorted roadside supplies and I’ll be good to go.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

2023 CVO Road Glide

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 23 queries.