Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drain Plug on the Gear Box too short?  (Read 2942 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
Drain Plug on the Gear Box too short?
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »

Just took my bike for the first revision and went into the workshop to talk with the mechanic. I caught him while he was trying to reinstall the plug but he was having trouble. He comented that this was a known issue with the plugs having too short a thread... anyway he brought a new plug, put some teflon tape around the threads and added locktite; he then slowly screwed the whole lot back to the engine, making sure he didn't overtighten it. It didn't look right at all. After he filled the box, he waited and waited for a long time and even started the engine, just to see if some oil drops would fall..... to me this sounds like he threaded the original plug sideways and then he messed the gearbox thread and then blamed the short drain plug for the problem. Now I see myself redrilling, retapping and installing an oversize plug...what a bummer. Still it is all under warrranty, since it was done at the H-D dealer, but in order to do that you must take the engine out, remove the gearbox and so on, just because a lousy mechanic threaded the plug sideways....because I don't believe what he says about the plug being a known H-D problem. Have you ever hear such nonsense before?
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

drogers

• Full CVO Member
Re: Drain Plug on the Gear Box too short?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:18:20 PM »

I just changed my oil and there is nothing wrong with the drain plug.Plus,it uses a O ring at the head of the bolt.Teflon tape and Loctite would be absurd and wrong. Did you ask him if he striped it?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »

I smell some Bullchit...I've pulled mine and replaced at least three times now, and never a problem.  Might not have to be drilled and tapped though...if it's just been slightly cross threaded, can probably just re-tap it and all will be well.  There's very little TQ on that plug, if done properly.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:36:58 PM »

Sounds like BS to me.  They're easy to get in and out and you don't need any locktite or teflon tape or such to keep them from leaking.

Regards, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 08:17:01 AM »

take it back and tell the service manager your concerns. have him remove the plug so you can personally inspect. if threads are damages-----demand a replacement tranny or tranny case----this could cost you a fortune a couple years from now.  or worse, what if the plug comes out as you are cruising the freeway? ever go down hard at 80 mph?

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »

Thanks to all the replies, I feel like you, that guy had a lot of that "BS" and now he might have messed up my tranny case. One thing though, the plug he removed and the one that replaced it have an "NPT" thread and no place for an "O"ring... I'm not familiar with the bike yet, so it could be the primary casing drain plug instead. It is the plug that goes between the two rear suspension bottles. One way or the other I have to keep an eye on that f#ck-up.
I told the manager to add a report to the invoice about the incident. That way, if trouble arises, I have proof that it was done in an H-D official rep. (mind you, I prefer to avoid such events if at all possible. (I keep my fingers crossed for the dreaded head gasket failure).

I hate when they say...don't worry, it's under warranty... :confused5: after all, what good is it that they take in your bike for a long time and you never know what they did to it? I was a bike mechanic ages ago, and I hate that ANYONE touches and puts his dirty fingers on my pride and joy, just to maintain that stupid warranty valid.

Just as I got home I installed some SE pipes, SE Heavy breather, cancelled the International butterfly exhaust choke; my ThunderMax has not arrived, so I just took it out for a short spin. The engine performance is very promissing.

Put some pics here for you to see:
http://imageevent.com/wforest/fxstsse22008myfirstpics14022008;jsessionid=tycp4qibs2.tiger_s
Enjoy.... :2vrolijk_21:
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »

One thing though, the plug he removed and the one that replaced it have an "NPT" thread and no place for an "O"ring... I'm not familiar with the bike yet, so it could be the primary casing drain plug instead. It is the plug that goes between the two rear suspension bottles.

Look in your manual,it clearly states that the bolt requires an O ring.The O ring just goes on over the threads till it meets the face of the bolt head.There is no grove,it goes on just like a washer.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »

Thanks Drogers, I'll have to take a look.
I am familiar with threads, and the NPT type is the only one that seals as you tighten and needs no teflon, O-ring or anything; the thread is conical as opossed to the BSP (British Standard Piping) where the thread is straight and needs some sealing gasket, o-ring, something anyway to avoid the oil leak between the threads.

Drogers, you are right, the manual does mention an O-ring.... Right now there is no leak, but I saw none on the old or the new one. But putting teflon and Locktite is something no professional mechanic would use, and that is a fact.

I'm expecting the workshop manual any day now, so on my next oil change I will take a closer look (and do it myself).

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

take it back and tell the service manager your concerns. have him remove the plug so you can personally inspect. if threads are damages-----demand a replacement tranny or tranny case----this could cost you a fortune a couple years from now.  or worse, what if the plug comes out as you are cruising the freeway? ever go down hard at 80 mph?

What Rednectum said!! I'd take it right back, have them check it now. First, if it that were to come out you could distroy you gear box. Even more of an issue is if it came out and got on your rear tire you could be sliding down the road on you a$$. Plus they are more likely to come up with an excuse if you wait, like you had removed the plug and reinstalled it incorrectly. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't wait.

Craig

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »

Likely the drain plug was damaged by the tech  while not paying attention he was using a socket instead of an allen wrench,he had it crossthreaded as when using a socket the shocks actually prohibit a straight alignment of the plug, plug should be installed initially with an ALLEN wrench, something is short alright but it aint the drain plug! The drain plug does have an o-ring and should have a small amount of thread sealer applied as does harley from the factory. LOCTITE should not be applied, get spare o-rings if you wrench yourself as they also fit the oil drain plug as well. Good luck
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »

Look in your manual,it clearly states that the bolt requires an O ring.The O ring just goes on over the threads till it meets the face of the bolt head.There is no grove,it goes on just like a washer.

We cut a relief in the drain plug for the oring so it wont pinch or roll out, I ordered a couple of new plugs so we could cut them, when we started to I noticed Harley has already started doing this. So you can relief cut the ones you have or order the new one that has been cut.

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »

The factory equipped drain plugs already have o-ring on them, the drain plugs are all the same on the 07-08 bikes oil, trans, and primary all use the same plug and same o-ring

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 08:14:33 AM »

The factory equipped drain plugs already have o-ring on them, the drain plugs are all the same on the 07-08 bikes oil, trans, and primary all use the same plug and same o-ring

Yes Harley started putting the orings on around 2000, but they never did cut the plug just beveled the hole they go in. With no relief on the plug you would have to change the oring every time because of it being cut, pinched or distroded. I put a small amount of black silicone on the threads this acts as a loctite and seals them too, the black silicone will not be affected by the oil like the others will.

I start the plug with my fingers when I can to make sure its straight or a flat allen if possible not a ball driver that will let you cross thread if your not careful. On the softail the trans plug is between the shocks and is very aggravating to start, I think thats what may have  happened to Spanish Flyer's bike, that tranny plug is hard to see and get straight.

I have repaired the tranny plug holes by removing the shocks and installing a machined insert in the hole with a special sealer around it, the insert has the same threads as the stock drain plug, we build it out of Stainless steel with a seal lip and its super though.

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 09:16:46 AM »

Right on, yeah i just keep a hand full of the o-rings around and replace them when i do the drain, i use permatex high performance thread sealer on my plugs. Silicone sealant is corrosive and is not safe to use around O/2 sensors,RTV is an acceptable sealer, you may already know this, just advice, look for the words SENSOR SAFE on the package.

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.