Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very strange noise AND/OR slipping when accelerating hard from dead stop  (Read 2487 times)

yoderjl

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2

i don't usually drive my bikes this hard, but i have been playing around with the map for my PCIII and from a dead stop when a quickly release the clutch and accelerate very hard (enough to break back tire loose) i hear a weird jerking/popping/slipping sound coming from the left side of the bike. under normal driving conditions i don't hear it or fell it. anybody else notice this?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black

Everything on the left side that could be jerking or popping is related to the drive train.  The ONLY thing that could make a sound and still allow you to drive it afterward is a slipping belt.  Make sure it's tight.  That's actually one of the things checked on the 1K and 5K service.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member

check compensator.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Can you narrow it down any more, is it towards the back, or by the trans? I'd check your belt first.

havoc

I once heard a very strange sound also from the left side under hard acceleration.  It went away one night at a stop light again under hard acceleration.  My belt broke....  How many miles do you have on it.  Mine broke around 900 and that was after the 500 mile service.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Here's another vote for the belt.  Make sure the tension is set properly, and visually inspect the teeth to make sure none are broken/torn. Drive belts will develop quite a bit of slop early in their life as the pulleys wear in and the coating on the belt teeth wears off.  That's why a belt tension check is imperative at the first service interval.  If yours wasn't checked and adjusted, or wasn't adjusted to the proper tension, it may be jumping teeth under heavy load.  If that is the case, it won't last long once you develop little tears at the root of the teeth.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

yoderjl

nope, the belt is the first thing i checked. no teeth missing or any type of damage. and it is tight-just had it serviced at 1000 mile check up. I think it may be the primary chain, clutch slipping, or in my head and nothing at all.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...

Hmmmm.....      I never let those "noise in head" deals rest.  They usually bit me in the a$$ as soon as I turn my back... 

My advice is to keep looking.  Or have someone else look...  Then you get to see what your bike looks like going away at full throttle!  (that's kind of a mixed feeling, ain't it!)
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic

not clear to me..  did you check the compensator nut?

yoderjl

what is the compensator nut?

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic

It holds the stator and such in place.... Sounds kind of like what you describe when its loose.  If it let's go.... Breaks all kinds of good stuff.... Don't ask how I know this.....

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black

The crazy guy that signs your pay checks...... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3

If it is the nut you are best served to not even start the engine IMO until you find out. When my compensator nut "backed off" the stator spun and I was fortunate to catch it with only needing the stator replaced.  The steel of the shaft is much harder than the steel of the stator -by design so the teeth on the stator get sheared off like butter-worth trailering IMO. Extended warranty covered the $750 mostly labor repair for $50!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:10:23 AM by Capo »

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.