Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 21" vs 18" handling diffs  (Read 4764 times)

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
21" vs 18" handling diffs
« on: September 30, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »

hey all

Just curious if anyone had ridden both 07 and 08/09 models to be objective on the "handling" differences ?
I somehow feel the 21" on my 07 model is perfectly stable on the straight - (bring here up to 185 Km/h last weekend as it still kept going very steady - no whobble nothing ) but on cornering , man it feels like too ridgid and it corners nicely if you tilt it under a significant angle (which scapes off pegs and jiffy ;-)
So I contemplate a 18" job over the winter but cannot bring myself to it w/o objective feedback . I like the 21' look BTW ..that's not the issue -

TIA

Rik

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
Re: 21" vs 18" handling diffs
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »

I cant really compare apples for apples here but for what its worth,  I used to have a deuce which had the 21" front wheel
When I changed to my 08 springer with the 18", it just gives a bit more confidence on corners and braking, especially when wet,  different suspension apart I think it is just as much to do with the width as well as the diameter.
Perhaps an alternative could be to keep the 21" but go a bit wider, if its possible it might be a cheaper option.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:50:42 AM »

This topic was reviewed sometime back—I asked the same question. We had endless replies by folks who thought their 21" or their 18" handled better, but not one had ridden both. Everyone with a 21" felt it was better than an 18"  and everyone with a 18" felt it was better than a 21". Every poster gave a theoretical reason why, but the bottom line was they were siding with what they had and had no experience with the other. I'm still curious!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:44:25 AM by Air-Cooled »

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »

Sounds all very reasonable folks - thanks for your insights .
I may have to arrange a test-ride on the '09 model than when local dealership gets it in (somewhere this month he said - but we'll see).

FWIW - I had a '06 springer classic with 160 rear-tire and 18" on the front and my impression is/was that the cornering was a lot more natural than on my current ride. This is clearly a crippled comparison as a consequence of the 200 reartire that also has a tendency to square out a lot faster than narrower types.
 like the 21" but I'm not a poser really - so function before style any time...keep you posted.

Rik

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:14:09 AM »

Had to do it - ordered the 18" kit today - will be another 4 weeks before the job is done - keep u posted -

Rik

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 06:00:38 PM »

The 18" radial tire being a lot wider than the skinny 07 front tire makes the steering a bit stiffer but solid and safe. Front and rear wheels are more compensated; actually they resemble a lot the supersports bikes well known to us for great handling in general. Amarillo, you are bound to love the mod you are about to install. Only thing though as I mentioned, the steering will be slightly stiffer, but absolutely no wobbling or oversteering. You can let go of the bars, that the bike will just ride straight as an arrow. ;D

Best Regards,
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 07:30:46 PM »

Does the 18" kit include a CVO painted fender?

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »

Nope - there isn't actually a real conversion-kit at all - the whole thing is based on customization - so still awaiting the actual cost to be honest , if it's too much i just opt out and stick with the 21-er to be honest .

Rik

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »

Nope - there isn't actually a real conversion-kit at all - the whole thing is based on customization - so still awaiting the actual cost to be honest , if it's too much i just opt out and stick with the 21-er to be honest .

Rik

Will the factory paint a 18" fender in '07 21" graphics? This is the crux of the matter.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 10:08:22 PM »

Will the factory paint a 18" fender in '07 21" graphics? This is the crux of the matter.
I've never heard/known the factory to paint any sheet metal other then OEM parts factory colors.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 12:19:18 AM »

I've never heard/known the factory to paint any sheet metal other then OEM parts factory colors.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Cancel the order. ;D

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 12:55:53 AM »

This topic was reviewed sometime back—I asked the same question. We had endless replies by folks who thought their 21" or their 18" handled better, but not one had ridden both. Everyone with a 21" felt it was better than an 18"  and everyone with a 18" felt it was better than a 21". Every poster gave a theoretical reason why, but the bottom line was they were siding with what they had and had no experience with the other. I'm still curious!

I'll jump in here only to say I have the 21" on mine , but I'm going to change it to an 18" because of the handling, for me high speeds were no problem where I had a problem was lower speeds or stopped it felt heavy to handle. And hitting an bumps in the road, I've chipped the fender twice now and had to have it repainted! it hits right at the engine guard, not as much clearence, my 02 cents I think you'll be happier.

Don.............

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 05:00:16 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Indeed - that was my point when mentioning that the whole deal is a customization job - sorry if I was unclear on that account. I repeat - there is NO existing conversion-kit comprising a 07 front fender for an 18 incher, i.e. take it to a reputable painter and hope and pray he/she's up to the 07 graphics. I hope this clarifies the "crux".

BTW , I will also have the springer fork reworked to accept the 18 incher and I doubt if it'll work with the PM front-brakes etc :-\ ......so there is more to concider than a repainted new or remodelled existing fender to be honest.  I'll have a chat with an Indyshop next week to see how the overall budget requirements would evolve if I take this out of the "authorized stealership" track...

Rik

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 09:32:22 PM »

I may be wrong, but I think you could trade up to an '08 for less than that conversion would cost. Good luck!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »

In a word...NO!!!  The 18" fills the stock fender pretty well.  21" is a different story.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 24 queries.