Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riding Deals Gap "The Dragon" On My Springer  (Read 2374 times)

drogers

• Full CVO Member
Riding Deals Gap "The Dragon" On My Springer
« on: October 17, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »

The handling of my '08 Springer never ceases to amaze me.For a 700 + pound bike with crap brakes and short travel suspension it is pretty impressive. The only limiting factor is ground clearance.Not bragging,cause I'm no road racer,just  wanted to let any one wondering about this bike know it rocks.I have been riding sport bikes since the early 70's and raced moto x and drag raced for 10 years,and I had no idea how stable this bike is when I bought it.It's very stable thru the turns,and me and a buddy riding a Softail  had a blast riding the Dragon.You can google it if your not familiar with it.You will drag both sides in the tighter turns,but on winding momentum turns it is great.My brother could not keep up on his BMW S and he is a better rider than me.He was dumb founded.Obviously on a race track where brakes and ultimate ground clearance is required,not to mention hp you wouldn't have a chance,but on winding country roads it is awesome.Anyway,thats my ride review and I'm stickin' to it. :)

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Riding Deals Gap "The Dragon" On My Springer
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »

I would agree - having ridden a dozen of bikes for the past 10 years - this baby is pretty okay in cornering if you get into the Flow that is ;-) Like an actual hypersports you get away with "tilting" it in the apex quite early enough to get a smooth turnout. I know the "Gap" , is that Yellow Wolf guy still showing off with that boatsized Wing of his...man this guy knows how to ride.

On youtube there's a host of footage on crashing HD bikers at the GAP ...why people always associate poor riding skills with hod riders  ;D

Rik

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 03:13:27 PM »

(...).

On youtube there's a host of footage on crashing HD bikers at the GAP ...why people always associate poor riding skills with hod riders  ;D

Rik

Actually the most crashes are on sports bikes. The reason is that the turns are in such near succession, that they are bound to be too fast after accelerating out of a turn sooner or later and find themselves in the middle of the next turn with no street left. Harley's are typically not ridden in such a binary fashion (accelerate hard/brake hard) but more smoothly. You end up much slower after the turn and have more time to negotiate the next.

I have ridden the Dragon and it is great fun if you stay concentrated the entire length.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »

I agree with your opinion on handling. However, my '02 Goldwing blows it away on turns. Road it for the first time this weekend since I bought the CVO and had to get used to it all over again (completely different riding position). I still like the CVO better. 

By the way drogers, I think we figured out the cause of your problem related to rear tire wear.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:15:14 PM by springervett »

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »

I have the 09 Springer and I'm aware of the critics of the 240 rear tire.
 I've been riding for 20 years and you can't even tell the 240 is back there, I have an 03 Fatboy with a 180 on it and the CVO spring handles better.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »

The turn in is better on a 200 than a 240.Even 200 hp road racers only use a 190. However,No Harley or any bike like it handles well enough for it to make a difference,so I'd go with the cool factor of the 240,but I wouldn't put one on a sport bike.

drogers

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »

By the way drogers, I think we figured out the cause of your problem related to rear tire wear.   ;)

Yeah,and it's not doing the bottom of my bike any good either.It's ground down pretty good on both sides.I sold my Kawi ZX 12 for the Springer,but I'm not ready to completely slow down just yet. :)

By the way,the Dragon kinda sucked this time because that 11 mile section had 4 police cars parked along the way and more patrolling.Don't get me wrong,I'm not riding like an idiot,but the 30 mph speed limit is hard to follow.

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 22 queries.