Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: o9 springer chatter on acceleration from stop when hot.  (Read 1307 times)

yardbug

• BE GOOD, AND IF YOU CAN'T BE GOOD, BE GOOD AT IT!

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3
o9 springer chatter on acceleration from stop when hot.
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:25:28 PM »

Just got my 09 cvo springer back form dealer for the third time,.... and a few days later I started noticing valve chattering when I accelerated from a stop after riding for at least 20 minutes.   I know you all will find this hard to believe, but the service manager at the dealership told me that Harley was aware of this and it was normal due to the type of gas this time of year.  He said his was doing it too, this weekend.  first time my bike has done it, and thats after a 3k ride to the smokey moutains.  Bike has 7500 miles and no engine work yet.  I did change pipes and added a tuner with dyno when purchased.  A laid off Harley engineer last weekend told me he worked on the springer and that there issues with the valve seats (junk). Anyone out there with same problem?

gilbert

Re: o9 springer chatter on acceleration from stop when hot.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »

That is from too little throttle on take, hammer it.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:26:35 AM »

Low octane gas causes "pinging" or detonation when the engine is hot. This is not the same as valve chatter. Lugging the engine at startup is bad for the crank and con-rods and makes its own unique sound—also NOT valve chatter. If the sound you describe is from the valves, it is abnormal and needs to be attended to.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »

Just got my 09 cvo springer back form dealer for the third time,.... and a few days later I started noticing valve chattering when I accelerated from a stop after riding for at least 20 minutes.   I know you all will find this hard to believe, but the service manager at the dealership told me that Harley was aware of this and it was normal due to the type of gas this time of year.  He said his was doing it too, this weekend.  first time my bike has done it, and thats after a 3k ride to the smokey moutains.  Bike has 7500 miles and no engine work yet.  I did change pipes and added a tuner with dyno when purchased.  A laid off Harley engineer last weekend told me he worked on the springer and that there issues with the valve seats (junk). Anyone out there with same problem?

What exactly is he calling "this time of year"?  We've been running summer grade oxygenated fuel for many months now, and there isn't a special blend just for August and September.  You may well be having a detonation issue, but don't fall for the "this time of year" BS.  You may have gotten some lousy fuel (did the dealership fill the tank?), you may have been ripped off by a gas station that dumps regular in the premium tanks to make an extra 20 cents per gallon, etc.  BTW, you didn't mention why the bike was in the shop.  What did they mess with, and have you considered why the bike didn't exhibit this problem before that visit but it does right after the visit?  When in doubt, look to the obvious stuff first.  Find some good premium fuel and see if the problem goes away.  Buy a bottle of that octane booster stuff and add it if the fresh tank of gas doesn't work.  Still got the noise, maybe you don't have detonation. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

yardbug

• BE GOOD, AND IF YOU CAN'T BE GOOD, BE GOOD AT IT!

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »

A little more info from the bike's history.  It was in the shop for three separate weeks relating to problems such as rust in the oil tank, leaking front wheel, cupped out front tire, damaged fuel guage and other minor cosmetic issues.  This problem was occuring befor it went to the shop the last time for about two weeks.  I havent changed my riding style so the lugging factor didnt seem to be part of the equation.  it doesnt seem to chatter while driving and no matter how hard I try to lug it on take off when colder engine temps it wont make the noise.  The temps are getting cooler now and Ill see if it does it at all. The gas has been run out and filled up at several different stations with 93 octane since the problem began.  The gas tank has been replaced three times for dents under the clear coat.  Taking it real easy for now to see if that plays a part in the equation.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 24 queries.