Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 SSE leaky cyclinders  (Read 2345 times)

bellringer

2007 SSE leaky cyclinders
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »

First day on CVOHARLEY.com  Riding my Springer is all I want to do, purchased my 07 in Dec.2010. Now in the shop for the forth time for leaky cyclinders. Last time the HD shop replaced rear cyclinder & piston & new gaskets front & rear jugs. under warranty. This time the approved "fix" by HD is gasket sealer around outside of O ring. They will start tomorrow. HELP! Bellringer in Seattle..  THANK'S!!!!!!!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: 2007 SSE leaky cyclinders
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »

First day on CVOHARLEY.com  Riding my Springer is all I want to do, purchased my 07 in Dec.2010. Now in the shop for the forth time for leaky cyclinders. Last time the HD shop replaced rear cyclinder & piston & new gaskets front & rear jugs. under warranty. This time the approved "fix" by HD is gasket sealer around outside of O ring. They will start tomorrow. HELP! Bellringer in Seattle..  THANK'S!!!!!!!!

see attached pdf...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »

and this...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

and this...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »

I think that any shop that can't fix a simple thing like this in four attempts is a shop I would avoid like the plague.  And gasket sealer on an O-ring is not a fix except for a jackleg shadetree wannabe mechanic. 

Did you buy this bike as the first owner in 2010 and thus have the original factory two year warranty, or is this some other form of "warranty", perhaps from the dealer or maybe an extended service plan?  The answer to that question will determine what next steps you should take.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bellringer

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:18:50 PM »

Jerry, Bellringer here, Thank You! Here are the basics,I am 2nd owner bike had 6,000 miles and an existing extended warr. from HD which was transfered to my name. The shop that has done the work is HD shop. Thank's again, Mike

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:45:43 AM »

Jerry, Bellringer here, Thank You! Here are the basics,I am 2nd owner bike had 6,000 miles and an existing extended warr. from HD which was transfered to my name. The shop that has done the work is HD shop. Thank's again, Mike

Mike, with the ESP you are not limited to dealing with the shop you bought the bike from.  In fact, you are not even required to use a Harley shop at all, and there are many independent shops who are authorized to handle ESP repairs.  You might want to check around your area to see if a better shop is available.  You might also want to see if you can contact the administrator of the ESP yourself to review the issue.  I can't imagine they are too happy about paying this shop four times to fix the same thing either, and they might have recommendations for a better place.

As I stated before, slopping gasket sealer on an O-ring is not a valid repair.  If that's all they intend to do, they are wasting your time and both your and the ESP's money.  If the repair is done properly using the updated parts in the Harley bulletins, the leak issue has been resolved for the vast majority of owners.  And after the first attempt at repair failed, they should have been looking a little closer at the reused parts to make certain there wasn't another issue causing the problem (in other words, real diagnostics and not just part swapping).  Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bellringer

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »

Jerry, Great advise, THANK YOU! Mike C. aka Bellringer

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »

if this is related to the cylinder head gaskets leaking and cylinders leaking oil at the base where they meet the case it's a known defect with the '07 110 motors.
I had '07 CVO Springer at the dealership 3 times for the problem, the first time they changed the head gaskets with "revised" gaskets and O rings, the second time they changed head gaskets and O rings at the cylinder base again AND replaced the front cylinder, the third time Harley ok'd them to replace the whole motor!

here's a link to the thread...  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28385.0

I no longer have the '07 Springer........   ::)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:20:10 PM by Deuce Bigelow »
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.