Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bushtec Roadstar Owners -- A Little Help  (Read 1891 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Bushtec Roadstar Owners -- A Little Help
« on: November 15, 2018, 10:27:51 PM »

Anyone that owns a Roadstar; I could use a hand if you have time.  Take a picture please and post it here showing the inside of the trailer.  Specifically the mounting of the latch parts on the inside.  Yes, I screwed up.  :drink:

Older Roadstars had a lock/unlock system that required use of the key to open the lid every time.  No push button release at all.  Bushtec offers a hardware kit that replace that older locking hardware kit with a revised parts set that will not require the key in hand every time you wish to open the lid.  Was all good so far....

Took mine apart last weekend.  Still all good.

This removes the key/lock/release parts and the interior linkage.  Still all good.

Then got busy and planned to come back to it later.  Still good.

Then neighbor and neighbor's kid were over shooting the breeze in the garage.  Neighbors young kid decides to "help" me and shuts the lid on the trailer.  Yes, while the latch parts are still installed but the release parts are removed.  So, you got it, lid is down and latched with no release/unlock parts accessible.

So pics of how the latch parts mount on the inside would be a help.  I'm hoping the hardware that goes through the license plate from the outside is what holds the latch in place on the inside.  If so I can drill that hardware or cut the heads off and the light will come loose on the outside of the trailer while the latch comes loose on the inside and allows me to reopen the lid.  Yeap, that's what I'm hoping.  If that's not right, however, well, cutting the fiberglass would at least be a great excuse to paint the old black trailer a nice red to match the bikes....

Blade1948

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Re: Bushtec Roadstar Owners -- A Little Help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »

Twolane, I will take a picture of mine tomorrow if you still need help.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:19:31 AM »

Thank you but we got it covered. I got pictures sent via text message.  Was enough to get me pointed in the right direction and I got the lid open. Even with everything unhooked there was a little tab on the latch that I was able to see in the pictures I got. Could just barely reach it reaching in through the hole where the original lock was.

Thanks very much for checking in. I do appreciate it. :2vrolijk_21:

Blade1948

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »

No problem, was wondering have you heard anything about Harley flagging bikes with trailer hitches and voiding warranty.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »

:vrolijk_11:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »

No problem, was wondering have you heard anything about Harley flagging bikes with trailer hitches and voiding warranty.

I personally know of one this is happened to.  Anecdotally here and elsewhere have heard incidents from four others I personally trust to be accurate.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 25 queries.