Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Selling my gun  (Read 3570 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Selling my gun
« on: May 19, 2018, 07:26:28 AM »

So I decide to let one of my guns go, not to downsize but to upgrade. I place a ad in a sell paper(Iwanna), one day later I receive a text with a strong bite, man that's fast, I'm going to get my Bill Wilson Carry wooohoooo. It goes like this:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

Re: Selling my gun
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 07:27:28 AM »

n/m
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:28:59 AM »

Don't know why she changed her mind. I cut her reply short but you can read between the lines
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:31:38 AM by 2k »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 07:30:34 AM »

Sure it's not a scam........
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »

A scam. Check will take 5 days+ to bounce.  Can't sell anything by check anymore even cashiers checks dammit unless you know/trust the buyer.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 08:41:22 AM »

A scam. Check will take 5 days+ to bounce.  Can't sell anything by check anymore even cashiers checks dammit unless you know/trust the buyer.

It's pretty sad you can't even depend on cashier's checks (or bank drafts for that matter) anymore.  I'm not sure there is a foolproof form of payment, since even cash is risky these days with all the counterfeit crap floating around or with "buyers" who arrange to meet you and then rob you.  Just one of the many reasons I don't sell anything directly to people I don't know well, and am willing to take less selling things to a dealer.

Btw, I think we all know that banks can actually clear checks in much less than five days if they want to.  These days some banks are worse than the scammers; Wells Fargo comes immediately to mind.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »

Probably should have put this one in the Humor board instead of this one.  :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »

How much do you charge for a returned check? If I added that to the purchase price we’d be even, right? Purchase price doesn’t matter to me.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 12:20:35 PM »

I would toss $ in a pillow case and keep it under my bed before I would use wells fargo.  :nixweiss:Stuart

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »

Scammers come so many different ways.   How's about them threatening to turn off your power unless they receive a Walmart payment in one hour.    That really sucks.     :'(. Stuart.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »

I have sold several guns through one of my local gun stores on a consignment sale setup. It has worked out great and everyone on the deals were happy.
I have seen this site for several years and have thought about buying from them but haven't tried them yet...They offer ways to sell as well:
https://www.gunbroker.com/

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »

It's pretty sad you can't even depend on cashier's checks (or bank drafts for that matter) anymore.  I'm not sure there is a foolproof form of payment, since even cash is risky these days with all the counterfeit crap floating around or with "buyers" who arrange to meet you and then rob you.  Just one of the many reasons I don't sell anything directly to people I don't know well, and am willing to take less selling things to a dealer.

Btw, I think we all know that banks can actually clear checks in much less than five days if they want to.  These days some banks are worse than the scammers; Wells Fargo comes immediately to mind.

Jerry

Banks can act faster in some cases.  In some cases these a-holes screw up the routing numbers on purpose to take longer. Trouble is a bank cannot tell just by examining if phony or not.  I have taken checks/cashiers on sale items.  In person only, but we always go to the buyers bank/credit union to cash it before I will exchange goods or title. 

Wells Fargo deserves a special place in hell.

Have not bought or sold a gun from/to an individual in years.  Last time went ok, but the guy was very weird & I was glad to get the deal done & gone.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »

I have sold several guns through one of my local gun stores on a consignment sale setup. It has worked out great and everyone on the deals were happy.
I have seen this site for several years and have thought about buying from them but haven't tried them yet...They offer ways to sell as well:
https://www.gunbroker.com/

Have used this site for 5 purchases and no problems. Haven't tried to sell using them because of the fees.......yes, I'm a tightwad

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »

2K don't know you but I wouldn't call yourself a tight wad for maybe frugal not a tight wad.  I gave up on selling on Ebay over the years,  okay to buy from but to sell they are 15 to 20%. Camera lens here and there that adds up to some real dough and I'd rather keep the buck in my pocket that put it in someone else's pocket.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 11:43:51 PM »

Sometimes the services provided is worth the expense. On my gun consignment sales the gun shop secured the weapon and displayed it for walk in customers. They had the customer fill out the federal application for purchase and do a background check. That way we identified the purchaser and not much risk of selling to a convicted felon or scam artist. They took the money and just sent me a check for the agreed amount when sold. I didn't have to deal with late night phone calls from a drunk or scam artist or worry about getting robbed.
As a side note some people arrange the meeting of a private sale/swap at their local police precinct to scare away bad customers.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.