Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transmission shift shaft in and out play  (Read 2071 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Transmission shift shaft in and out play
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:34:30 PM »

I also have the inner primary off to change out the shift shaft seal that is seeping.  It is a cheap arse little seal.  Going back in soon with a seal from Cometic (double lip). 

There is a snapring and washer behind the trans shift arm.  I can pull the trans shift shaft in and out quite a bit.  Has anyone ever added a second copper or fibre washer behind the snapring to take out some of this play or is the play nothing to worry about?   :nixweiss:

The shift shaft has no up and down play.  Install the new seal dry on the OD or a light coat of #2 Permatex or equivalent?

I am also replacing the starter jackshaft seal and clutch hub seal in the inner primary.  Any sealer around the OD's of these 2 seals?

Any tips would be appreciated in the reinstall from the inner primary out.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Transmission shift shaft in and out play
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »

hi boatman ,  no shiming is needed on the shift shaft or sealer on the od of the seals just make shure the seals are in far enough. and always use new lock tabs on primary bolts (33318-85) good luck.  ps always replace the clutch adjuster plate snap ring (37909-90) if you put the old one back in you will see that it can move around and if it lets loose it will be ugly.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »

Thanks for the reply Axil.  Did order new lock plates for the inner primary bolts when I ordered my parts.  Local dealer has the snapring.  HD is proud of all their parts ($11.99 for the 37909-90).  Will pick up later today.

Regarding the jackshaft starter seal for the inner primary, the manual says to use Loctite 609 retaining compound to the OD of the new seal.  The old seal was in tight and was green around the OD..  Any thoughts about this or just install seal dry?

Again, Thanks.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:21:52 AM »

boatman, i never had a problem with the old seals(metal),the green on the outside diameter worked fine .  the new seal is a double lip all rubber seal and seals itself on the od . hope this helps
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.