Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Memphis Wheelie Men  (Read 1402 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Memphis Wheelie Men
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »

Had a nice three day weekend down in Mobile, Alabama, with two other couples.  We road down and back avoiding interstates where at all possible and had a wonderful ride.  As we neared the Memphis metro area yesterday afternoon about 3 pm we had to get on the interstate otherwise we'd be forever getting through the city and home.  Just as we were merging from I-55 into the I-240 permiter expressway we encountered a large group of metric riders who passed directly in front of us.  All dressed alike with their t-shirts flowing in the wind behind them, athletic shoes, some in shorts, no gloves but all had full face helmets.  I noticed some of the t-shirts said 'Memphis Wheelie Men' and sure enough several of the clowns were pulling wheelies there in heavy traffic doing 60-70 mph as they and the entire group weaved in and out of the various four lanes.  This kind of chit give us all a bad name and it sure jacked me up.  Losing control of a bike while doing a wheelie at that speed in heavy traffic is a recipe for disaster and folks getting hurt if not killed.

Last year after the Western CVO GTG we had a near crash on an interstate due to an idiot doing something on her phone and not paying attention.  I guess she looked up and realized she was about to rear end the car in front and must have overbraked.  All I know is that suddenly her car was fish tailing madly right in front of us in the lane to our left.  My friend behind me complimented me on avoiding a collision after it was all over.  I took no credit as all I remember was trying desperately to move somewhere where she was not going.  Thankfully the lane to my right was open as I had to move without having any chance to look.  I was locked on the fish tailing car and moving in reaction to her. 

Gotta say that riding on the interstates these days is beginning to scare the daylights outa me.  I try to avoid them but in large metro areas you just about have no choice.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Memphis Wheelie Men
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »

Yea, I know where you are coming from. Was coming north on I-77 into Charlotte last week and saw four bikes a quarter of a mile behind me in the fast lane. One of the idiots pulled it up on the rear wheel and rode till he passed me. By then his front tire had slowed to the point when he sat it down it skidded and he death wobbled till it caught up with the rear tire speed. To top it off when he passed me his rear had a white strip down the middle ( you know, the kind you get from burn outs wearing  down to threads ). Thought the jackass was going to crash and burn, and take me out in the process. This boy will eventually die on that bike, just hope nobody else gets hurt. WTF  :nixweiss:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:42:37 PM »

We have the same thing happens here. We call them wheelie nobs. There's always something about a crash with these guys. I've been fortunate not to have encountered one when riding but have seen twice the nobs doing wheelies along the town centre main Street.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:02:44 PM »

But Jerry, the interstate around Memphis (and others) is where you get to put all of that training into practice. 

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 06:12:18 AM »

But Jerry, the interstate around Memphis (and others) is where you get to put all of that training into practice.

Aint that the truth
Al

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »

in Ireland last summer, our tour bus driver identified them as "organ donors"    :orange:
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:03:17 PM »

We recently had a 24 year old sport bike rider crash into a car at high speed on a cloverleaf over the interstate. He was traveling at high speed going over the interstate and went thru a red light at a controlled intersection and hit a car with the right of way. He died soon after the incident and the sport bike was in 4 major pieces.

Sad to see young people die in in incidents like this that could have been totally avoided by using common sense and following basic traffic rules.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.