Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Long Distance Riding................  (Read 26896 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Long Distance Riding................
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »

Looks like it's been awhile since anybody has been in here.  Is anybody even looking at the stickied threads on each board :nixweiss:?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:44 AM »

Looks like it's been awhile since anybody has been in here.  Is anybody even looking at the stickied threads on each board :nixweiss:?

I agree with JC.  We should all go back in the dregs history of the site to find old threads and resurrect them.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »

I dunno.

If anybody is long distance riding, they may not have time to stop and post about it, depending on how long the ride is.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »

Most of us have done long distance rides, some more than others.  However, some of us are getting a little older now and aren't youngsters anymore.  Thought it would be a good idea to put these pages on exhaustion, heat sickness and recommendations from the Iron Butt Ass. all together in one thread specifically for this purpose.

I'm placing this in the CVO Events forum because these are the functions that will have the most amount of members riding long distances and maybe pushing the envelope a little.

we have one on "dehydration and Heat Stroke"....
http://www.umm.edu/non_trauma/dehyrat.htm

and last, but not least, some recommendations by the Iron Butt Association....
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

And a good link for your bike is HOG's road side assistance.........
http://www.road-america.com/ca/hd/hog_app.asp?company_code=520

Iski, I was just popping some of the stikied threads for those who are newer around here and/or those who have been here longer but don't spend their life on here.  They must be out riding. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 03:20:13 PM »

Iski, I was just popping some of the stikied threads for those who are newer around here and/or those who have been here longer but don't spend their life on here.  They must be out riding. :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ - Personally have not taken a "long distance ride" in much too long.  For me that is about 1,000 or more or so out & back. And each time I have planned one for this year something has come up to prevent it.  My frustration knows no bounds.  

In other words, wish I were riding instead of posting about wanting to ride.  :'(

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 03:53:40 PM »

Ya bunch of wimps.... plow the driveway, put some studs in your tires and go fer it.    ;D  :)  ;D Don't forget to hydrate though  :oops:
In a few months I'm sure this thread will be resurected and well read :2vrolijk_21:

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2010, 06:28:32 AM »

My long distance ride this summer should be around 2,500 miles - Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Lichtenstein and Germany.

Plus I will be going here again.

Happy days.

BD

Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2010, 01:52:56 PM »

This is great info and I would have missed it if it hadn't of been revisited/toggled/bumped.  I wasn't fully aware of the stickied threads until now as well. I went to the topic but the stickied thread never stood out to grab my attention.

I suggested a safety thread that this type of info could be posted and found i but didn't see any responses so assumed the topic was probably discussed before. I understand consensus from proud opinionated people is hard to get to put down an idea as the right idea.

I saw a recommendation in this piece for knowing what tools to take and liked that somebody provided a list and the list content was very good.  There is the suggestion for knowing how to repair a flat. I agree with the suggestion but thought it would be nice to have an explanation how to repair a flat from a motorcycle perspective. I've repaired tubes on cars and bicycles, and I've plugged car tires. I've never removed a motorcycle wheel or tire. Didn't think about removing a wheel since I don't have a spare! Do I need to carry the lube in case a tire repair doesn't have any?

I would think a Leatherman would be a good tool but somebody may say it's no good in reality because of the handle shape you can't use the screwdriver around the confined engine space. This comment would be good because it gave an opinion and a reason for the opinion. Somebody just saying Leatherman sucks (may be correct) but wouldn't be useful without an explanation as to why they feel Leatherman sucks. (i.e. Leatherman sucks versus Rubbermade screwtool because Leatherman scratches your tank while Rubbermade screwtool has scratch resistant coating.)

Safety topics could be Freeway driving in LA, Bridge grate driving, desert hazards, driving sharp curves and winding roads, abrupt stopping, etc.

Saw a hand signal page stating "Patting hand on helmet = law enforcement ahead". I learned this to mean "Heads-Up, be aware ahead which could mean hazards such as animals, accident, radar.  It would be good to hear more experienced riders state experienced opinions.

Fog driving perspective could be more than slow down for fog. It could have the perspective of the mental reason  why people tend to drive faster in fog.

Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »

This is great info and I would have missed it if it hadn't of been revisited/toggled/bumped.  I wasn't fully aware of the stickied threads until now as well. I went to the topic but the stickied thread never stood out to grab my attention.

I suggested a safety thread that this type of info could be posted and found i but didn't see any responses so assumed the topic was probably discussed before. I understand consensus from proud opinionated people is hard to get to put down an idea as the right idea.

That's great.  My reason for bumping some of the old stickied threads (there are still many more) was/is just trying to be a little considerate to the newer members on this board.  I bumped two or three of the stickied threads however, there are many more....just have to explore.

As for the safety issue, we've had a few threads that could be considered as safety related.  I started a thread about group riding, there's another about heat sickness and their symptoms, etc. etc.  Use a search or you can start a thread about safety while riding.  Just know that you'll get many varied opinions.

I know that HOG teaches people to ride one way, M.C. clubs teach something entirely different, while a group of friends that have rode together for years may incorporate riding styles from both.  It's like a box of chocolates.....ya just never know what you're going to get. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »

Most of us have done long distance rides, some more than others.  However, some of us are getting a little older now and aren't youngsters anymore.  Thought it would be a good idea to put these pages on exhaustion, heat sickness and recommendations from the Iron Butt Ass. all together in one thread specifically for this purpose.

I'm placing this in the CVO Events forum because these are the functions that will have the most amount of members riding long distances and maybe pushing the envelope a little.

I resemble that remark about getting older, thanks for the links.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »

While it's got up into the 80's a few times this summer already (all this week), the really hot wether (100F +) is right around the corner.  And, sad to say :nervous:........we're all four years older than we were when I first posted this.  Thought I should bring it up again......just to raise the conscious level......for safe riding. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »

My long distance ride this summer should be around 2,500 miles - Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Lichtenstein and Germany.

Happy days.

BD

Stilfser Joch is an awesome ride to do!!!!!
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »

Happy days.

BD

BD - Love that background in your picture.  Living in Florida, I have to laugh every time I see a road sign that says "Winding Road".

TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

BANDANAGIRL

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • LIVE LAUGH RIDE

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG Cherry Sold
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG Orange Sold, 2005 SEEG Teal Sold, 2005 SEEG Banana Sold
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »

:)This is great Jc. :2vrolijk_21:  After the Hood River GTG last year I had not really experienced such change in climate in one day.
We went from 40s to over 100 in hours and alot of us experienced heat stroke. It was awful. It took us days to recoop after that.
It makes us rethink alot of things before we take off on our journeys!

Soozie :)

2006 Cripplecreek, Co.
                     2008 Sedona, Az.
                     2009 HoodRiver, Or.
                     2010   Pala, Ca.
                     2010 New River , Wv.
                     2011 Lake Tahoe, NV.
                     2012 Spokane, Wa.
                     2013 Santa Fe, NM.                      2014 Carmel & M.V.

Quik2

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG B/B
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »

Thanks for the info alot of items mentioned will be handy for a new rider to our group this summer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 21 queries.