Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: J&M’s new FLEXPOWER CB antenna  (Read 2880 times)

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
J&M’s new FLEXPOWER CB antenna
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:38:06 AM »

I installed this antenna last week on my 2010 FLHTK.  The install was a snap. Very Simple and it appeared to be a quality product.

Yesterday I took the bike out on a Small Chapter Ride with the club.  We only had 12 bikes on this ride. There were three other Baggers (Ultras) along with one rider using a Midland Radio.

In  the parking lot before the ride left I had what I'd consider normal reception and transmission.  However once we left the dealorship things changed dramitically.  I ran sweep on this ride.  Once the group reached normal speeds and we were stretched out, that is when I realized how poorley this product functioned.  I'd say the lead bike was only 1/8th of a mile out in front of me and I could barely hear him with my volume turned all the way up and my squelch turned all the way down, just one notch above full open).

All the baggers had to drop their squelch to hear me also.

I'm assuming others have purchased this product and I'm wondering what others have experienced.

If...  I leave it installed in the fairing and have the pigtail connection attached to the stock antenna connection.  When I install the tour-pak and re-connect the antenna cable, will the CB reception return to normal or will by having the flexpower in line limit the transmit and reception just by being installed..?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:32:04 PM by EagleGlider »

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: J&M’s new FLEXPOWER CB antenna
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »

Matt, I was hoping someone would reply as I've been eyeballing that piece too so I'll bump you up
Roger

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »

Matt, I was hoping someone would reply as I've been eyeballing that piece too so I'll bump you up
Roger

Thanks Roger! 

Judging by the landslide of responses  I'm assuming that this product has had just a limited audience...  I posted a similar post on another forum and got only one response from someone who offered a positive review...

I only use the the CB for club rides; may be 2 to 3 times a month.  If I ride the SERG on a club ride I use a Midland radio which works just fine.  I really was looking forward to having a detachable TP option and still having the CB radio being functional...  I haven't yet spoken with J&M to see what they suggest. Hopefully this will work out.  If not, I'll figure something out.

Matt

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:41:31 AM »

This is a portion of the reply I posted in reply to Matt's thread on another forum:

"My experience with the J&M CB in-fairing powered antenna has been much different than the OP. On today's HOG chapter ride on I-20 from Atlanta to just east of B'ham (destination was Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum) and there were times when I was leading and the sweep on an Ultra were separated by 1/2 mile or so and never had a bit of trouble talking or listening to him.

I've had the antenna in the bike for all of this riding season which began on January 1st with a lengthy New Year's Day ride and rides with 30+ bikes through rural, hilly areas (either leading or sweeping) and the CB/antenna has worked fine.

I don't know if the OP received a faulty unit or not. But I've read threads from probably a 1/2 dozen other users of this antenna who were pleased with it and had far greater transmit and receive function than what he described."

This is the reply to the thead from the owner of J&M:

"ReefRider ,,,,

I wrote that verbage on the J&M website describing the performance of the J&M in-fairing CB antenna ,,,,

I was personally involved in the initial design and testing of this antenna,,,,

using my own 2010 Harley Ultra LTD, & my 2010 Harley RoadGlide (with JMCB-2003) I found a 20-30% reduction in CB TX distance using the J&M in-fairing CB antenna, compared to the J&M or Harley rear mounted antennas ,,,,,

on one particular day of testing, the rear antennas would TX to the receive vehicle approx. 1.5 miles, and 1.2 miles with the J&M in-fairing CB antennas ,,,,

I also found it very important to route the in-fairing antenna stinger wire exactly as per the instructions included with the antennas, as various other routings inside the fairing would significantly affect performance ,,,,,

in summary, even with the increased solar storm activity that will take place during the next 2-4 years, the Harley or J&M CB radios, on the Harley dressers, with the J&M in-fairing CB antennas, should be able to transmit and receive to distances between .5 and 1.5 miles depending upon the atmospheric conditions on a particular day, time of day or location, urban or rural ,,,,

JMJOHN ,,, John@Jmcorp.com ,,,,,"

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:00:21 AM by Harleypingman »

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.