Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Dyna first wash- What to use  (Read 3670 times)

maddawg46

• I have Rice Rockets too
  • Horsepower sells cars; Torque wins races
Dyna first wash- What to use
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:18:39 PM »

This FXDSE is my first Harley.  I have an air compressor, so drying is not an issue.  Whats the best thing to use to just clean off the dirt and grime?  I heard the S-100 general cleaner is good.  Am I making too much of this?  I never had a bike with lots of chrome and a black wrinkle finish motor.
2007 FXDSE Blue
2005 Yamaha FJR
1997 Suzuki Bandit

REGGAB

Re: Dyna first wash- What to use
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:29:55 PM »

This FXDSE is my first Harley.  I have an air compressor, so drying is not an issue.  Whats the best thing to use to just clean off the dirt and grime?  I heard the S-100 general cleaner is good.  Am I making too much of this?  I never had a bike with lots of chrome and a black wrinkle finish motor.

Glare Ultra Wash http://www.autopolish.net

That S100 stuff is not much less caustic than oven cleaner.  if you're gonna use it, be sure you rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse.  Once you've completed rinsing, be sure to rinse well at least five times, and after that, rinse copiously at least 10 times.........then rinse.  After that, rinse again.  Be sure to rinse at least 10 more times......and just for good measure, rinse another five times after that.

Seriously, if you don't get ALL of that stuff off of your bike, and out of every single nook and cranny, it will leave white spots that you'll spend all summer chasing down and removing.

Best to go with something gentle like the Glare product, use a microfiber towel, two buckets (one with Glare Ultra Wash, the other with rinse water) rinse the microfiber before sticking it back in the Glare Ultra Wash bucket, grab a beer or five, and have a great afternoon.   :2vrolijk_21:

Hotbird

• CVO1: 2009 Fat Bob
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:15:17 PM »

I agree with the last comment - although he might have left off a rinse or two..  I bought the S100 based on too many recommendations and now would consider paying the shipping to get rid of it (the big tub).  I went back to using Gard Group Balanced pH Car Wash Soap and get excellent results. 

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:54:53 AM »

Glare works great as does the Mr Clean washing system. but you mentioned Air compressor, what does this have to do with cleaning. I hope you're not drying with it. can do some damage.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »

I use Meguiers, wash, polish and quick detailer, you can buy it at Wally World.  :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

copper

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »

Have you tried Pig spit---it is unbelivelable--over 92,000 miles and the engine looks like new.  Spray it on and your done....wipe it off the chrome if you want   

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »

Have you tried Pig spit---it is unbelivelable--over 92,000 miles and the engine looks like new.  Spray it on and your done....wipe it off the chrome if you want    

I bought some Pig Spit yesterday, the black crinkle on the cases was starting to fade, the was going to use S100, but the guy at Thunder Mountain talked me into this stuff, only good recommendation from them in a ling time! ;D Sprayed it on, man the black came back, couldn't see it on the chrome, looks great!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:01:04 PM by Talon »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »

I have an air compressor, so drying is not an issue. 

Please don't dry the bike with compressed air from a compressor.  A blow gun is not a car drying tool. 

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »

I agree with everyone on the air compressor. Most compressors can have a lot of oil carryover and if you live in a humid area, you'll be spraying a mist back on the bike with the oil. Stay away from the compressor.
2011 FLHXSE2

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 07:58:32 AM »

I agree with everyone on the air compressor. Most compressors can have a lot of oil carryover and if you live in a humid area, you'll be spraying a mist back on the bike with the oil. Stay away from the compressor.
:2vrolijk_21: leaf blower
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:16:58 AM »

HAND DRY
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 08:33:09 AM »

I dry it off the best I can by hand, then take it for at least a 5 min ride.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:09:15 PM by Talon »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 08:42:42 AM »

It's not necessary to be quite as anal as some around here.  Wash the bike with any of the good car wash products (I use Blue Coral wash 'cause I like the blue color and it smells nice), get a selection of small non-scratching brushes for the nooks and crannies along with some microfiber cloths, and if you decide to use the S100 product just use it as a degreaser and brake dust remover, not as an overall cleaner.  Works great on wheels and the oily gunk that collects on the bottom of the engine/trans, but as everyone stated you have to be very careful to completely rinse the stuff or you may be living with it forever.  Flush as much of the grit and grime as possible with a hose first so you don't grind it into the paint with your cloth, then go to work with your bucket of soapy water.  Rinse well, then perform a final rinse either with just a hose and no nozzle so the water sheets and rolls off, or use one of those deionized water filters (Mr. Clean) for a "spot free" rinse.

Drying requires a higher volume of air at a lower pressure, something most air compressors aren't able to handle.  So for that reason, along with the others already mentioned, stick to something with a filtered flow of air.  I don't recommend leaf blowers, since they can and will throw chunks of stuff at your paint (no filtration), but my Craftsman shop vac works fine.  Hook a 1.25" hose to the exhaust port, and you get filtered air that is also warmed slightly by the motor.  Add one of those crevice tools to concentrate the air to blow out those nooks and crannies, and you've basically got the same thing as those high priced special bike dryers.  An alternative method is to just jump on and blow down the highway at warp speed for a few miles, then wipe any remaining dribbles with one of those microfiber towels.  Works OK when it's hot out, kind of sucks in early spring or late fall around this area unless you wear a rain suit and long johns. ;)

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 02:19:59 PM »

If you really want the specialty drier, get one just don't buy it from a HD dealer or motorcycle shop. Buy it from a pet store. It's the same thing. Link follows:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754484
2011 FLHXSE2

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14:27 PM »

Doesn't anyone out there use a chamois on their bike?  I just tried using one of those manmade chamois imitation things and it did a great job of drying the bike with no streaks, spots, or scratches.  You have to make sure you did a real good job cleaning the bike, so there's nothing left to get the chamois dirty or to scratch the bike.  I still had to use the blower for some areas to get the water out first, but the bike came out looking fantastic and I didn't have to go back over the bike a second time.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »

Metro Air Dryer, used cautiously, and micro fiber drying towels have made Chamois a thing of the past. Can not see paying price of Glare Soap, I use 2 for 1 Blue Corral from Pep Boys (about $5/gallon) and a new style microfiber sponge, not the ones that looks like a towel but the one that looks like a wooly mamouth. LOTS of A 2 Z wheel & tire cleaner on tires/wheels/brake calipers/rotors etc and then just do a good job of washing everything.
What I do does work, Look at featured Used bike of the week @ Jims HD website, They were showing it on the floor with bags etc removed to expose how clean bike was with that many miles, It was my old SEEG and even there detail guy was amazed. Nothing hoodo here, just work.

DUDE

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3 Annie # 1420
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »

LOTS of A 2 Z wheel & tire cleaner on tires/wheels/brake calipers/rotors etc

DW,

Is that Eagle One's A to Z?  Was considering that the other day but the label says "WARNING: DO NOT USE ON NON-FACTORY PAINTED WHEELS, MOTORCYCLE WHEELS, AND SOME ANODIZED WHEELS" so it scared me off but if your using it successfully I'll give it a try.

Dude
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 04:07:37 PM by DUDE »

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »

The A -Z motorcycle wheel caution is for cad plated spoke wheels, Cad Platting is very suspectible to any kind of cleaner stronger than soap. You have to use some sort of brake cleaner to remove the residue left by brake pads and A - Z is the mildest and does the best job on the tires, You will be amazed at the brown foamy dirt that rolls off the tire sidewall.
Works good.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.