Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My thoughts on Microfibre  (Read 3744 times)

DHTDHT

My thoughts on Microfibre
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »

I like them, for cleaning. If they are perfectly clean, they will not scratch paint, but to keep 'em perfectly clean, you can not even leave them on a shelf where they might pick up dust. They need to be in a sealed container, or freshly washed. For these reasons, I do not use them or any fabric to clean shiney painted surfaces.  A wash mitt and lots of water is a pain, but it is the only safe way to clean paint. Where I do microfibre very useful is in cleaning metal parts and engine paint, as they do seem to pick up dirt very efficiently. The same applies to drying the bike

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
Re: My thoughts on Microfibre
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »

Wow, way too much for me to worry about. I'd never be able to sleep worrying. I like micro fiber. I carry a couple in a zip lock bag for road trip clean up and detailing. They need to be clean. A contaminated micro fiber cloth will scratch just like any other rag if it's dirty. I especially like them for cleanup of the windshield.
Wax? I seldom use it. I've driven black cars, trucks and motorcycles for over 20 years and I'll put their shine/finish up against anyone
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

DHTDHT

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 08:40:27 PM »

I'm sure the Egyptian is the best, and I'd like to see a place where you can buy small Egyptian towels.  I don't think chrome requires any protectant finish. It is extremely hard and does not rust. Most say you should not even polish chrome, just clean it.

DHTDHT

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 08:44:39 PM »

Wow, way too much for me to worry about. I'd never be able to sleep worrying. I like micro fiber. I carry a couple in a zip lock bag for road trip clean up and detailing. They need to be clean. A contaminated micro fiber cloth will scratch just like any other rag if it's dirty. I especially like them for cleanup of the windshield.

That's what I said.

Wax? I seldom use it. I've driven black cars, trucks and motorcycles for over 20 years and I'll put their shine/finish up against anyone

doubledeuce3

• sweet baby
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:39:22 PM »

i also use the micro rags for detailing.
good tip is not towash them with any other material, especially pure cotton!!!
 the lint from the cotton will stick to the micro's.
keep them isolated in plastic bags and wash them with mild dishwashing liquids! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 04:49:06 PM »

i also use the micro rags for detailing.
good tip is not towash them with any other material, especially pure cotton!!!
 the lint from the cotton will stick to the micro's.
keep them isolated in plastic bags and wash them with mild dishwashing liquids! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

YES...the cotton fibers will stick to the microfibers and you can't tell it until you try and use the micro...what a MESS!!  Wash all these thing seperately from other materials, dry without using any anti-static sheets, etc, and they work great!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110Mofo

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 01:04:21 PM »

have any of you guys used "the bom"  

http://www.badtothebom.com/welcome.htm

great for clean up before waxing
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Rhino

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 08:58:25 PM »

Hey all you cleaning freaks, me too,

Microfibre used damp or sopping wet for dust is best. I keep a damp rag with me in a ZIPLOCK, jus like EZ said. Sopping drips and makes for more drying, so damp for me.  Smells after a few weeks but it is still damp.  (wet it before your ride to eliminate this part)  The dry ZIPLOCK holds a few more for wiping off haze from Harley Gloss or Harley Wax.  But wet or damp no scratch or swirl w a microfibre. You gotta be one with the cloth!

Rhino

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 24 queries.