Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Answers to Problems with the Navigation Interface Module Part # 76000024  (Read 57456 times)

jmayer004@cinci.rr.com

I have a 2010 FLHTK put in a 76000024. The garmin 665 is not HD. The nim kit is iffy. Should I buy the HD wireing kit for yhe 665 or can I to resolve issues?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

If you are talking about buying the NIM HD part # 7600002 for your bike it will not work with a Garmin Zumo 665. The NIM will only work with a Garmin Road Tech 660 or 665.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

First of all, this site is great for giving info. to people like me who are technically challenged.  Thank you.

I just purchased a NIM and am going to install a Road Tech 660 on my 08 SEUC.  Besides am and fm, I have xm on my radio that I listen to.  Do I need anything else besides the NIM to get the GPS voice prompts to go through my speakers on the bike.  We do use the cb when on trips with my friends.

Ray Z
RayZ

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

First of all, this site is great for giving info. to people like me who are technically challenged.  Thank you.

I just purchased a NIM and am going to install a Road Tech 660 on my 08 SEUC.  Besides am and fm, I have xm on my radio that I listen to.  Do I need anything else besides the NIM to get the GPS voice prompts to go through my speakers on the bike.  We do use the cb when on trips with my friends.

Ray Z

NO.

The NIM will interrupt the radio for turn prompts only. If you think you will be listening to MP3 songs that you install on the Zumo or if you want to be able to use the phone interface of the Zumo for phone calls then be sure to connect the Y adapter that comes with the NIM. For phone calls you will need a microphone interface such as the H-D Bomm or equivalent.

Jim

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

Thanks

I just wanted some reassurance before I removed the fairing.

Ray Z
RayZ

dragonass

Jim, Great thread, I jusr purchased a 2011 road glide and upgraded the Road Tech 660 to the Road tech 665 and I cannot get the 665 to recognize the xm antenna, the dealer says I have to replace the wiring harness or is there another way?

Thanks, Doug

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Jim, Great thread, I jusr purchased a 2011 road glide and upgraded the Road Tech 660 to the Road tech 665 and I cannot get the 665 to recognize the xm antenna, the dealer says I have to replace the wiring harness or is there another way?

Thanks, Doug

As soon as you plug the XM antenna into the USB port on the wiring harness the GPS should recognize it. If it does not then I also would suspect that the mount/wiring harness for the GPS is defective. You can call Garmin they are great folks and they will help you troubleshoot the problem and replace the mount for free if they feel that is the problem.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:39:46 AM by bissjim »

Matt k

Am I correct that in order to hear, through the bike's speakers,  my cell phone that I pared with the 660 on my new  2011 CVO Ultra I have to either:

1. use a wire to connect the Garman directly to the aux port and have the aux port active (that is not have one of the radio bands active),  or

2. install a Y connector and a stereo cable inside the faring to work with the NIM. Then have the aux port active by ,for instance, inserting an I-pod into the aux port since aux. only displays when something is inserted into that port like an I-pod.)

I assume the phone will then function utilizing the speakers and the microphone in the GPS Unit.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Yes.

If you want to listen to MP3, XM or a cell phone call via the GPS you must install a Y connector from the GPS to the Aux input on the front of the radio. If you have the NIM already installed then the Y connector is connected at that point. If you also want the ability to use your IPOD then install an IPOD kit from Harley or use the Aux input port. You can modify the radio, which will add another Aux input port to the back of the radio so that the wiring is hidden. You can use the internal microphone on the GPS to talk on the phone if you want but it will not work when you are riding, it will work if you are stopped at a red light or sitting in your garage. If you want to use the helmet microphone to talk on the cell phone you will need an H-D Bomm or equivalent.

If you have any other questions shoot me an email and I will try to help you out with a phone call.

Jim

RumbleGuy

Ok what do I need to do when there is no aux option on my radio it has the aux input but not on the lcd display 2011FLTRUSE I tried the phone thru the GPS in the garage and it worked but a friend says the mic on the gps was picking up my speech not the mic on the headset and he says it wont work while riding ??? any suggestions.

I just bought a 2011 FLTRUSE about two weeks ago. Love the bike, but the BOOM system sucks when it comes to phone integration. Oops, did I say phone integration? I mis-spoke, because it doesn't exist. The bike comes with Garmin's Zumo 660 GPS integrated and the 660 inherently pairs via bluetooth with cell phones. I thought "Great, Harley has integrated the GPS, IPod, and cell phone into one system". So, I paired my cell phone with the 660 when the 660 was off the bike. Everything worked. The 660 was taking and sending phone calls, but once I put the 660 on its cradle on the bike, phone capability became unreliable. About 1 out of 5 times, the music would be interupted when a call came in, and the 660 display would ask if you wanted to take the call. If you pushed "Ignore" on the 660, the call would go into voicemail. If you pushed "Accept", then you'd be talking to the caller through the Boom! system. However, most of the time, the call would get answered without you knowing and all the caller would hear was the noise of the FLTRUSE. I figured there was a bug in the system, so I took it to the dealer and they contacted Harley. Guess what? The bug wasn't when the calls got dropped, but when things worked! Harley said cell phone integration via the 660, and thus with the entire Boom! system, isn't a "supported function". All the dealer could tell me was that must Harley riders are not that sophisticated when it comes to technology. What a joke! My wife's car even interupts music to take a phone call. It's absolutely rediculous that Harley can't get their act together on technology.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Harley does not install the audio output cable that runs from the GPS to the Auxiliary input port on the front of the radio at the factory. They install the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) but not the audio cable. You need to install this additional cable your self if you want to be able to listen to a cell phone call. Buy a Y splitter and a 3' stereo 3.5mm stereo extension cable. Remove the front cowling, find the stereo audio output cable that comes from the GPS and goes to the NIM, unplug it from the NIM and plug the Y adapter into the NIM and then plug the cable that was plugged into the NIM into one of the ports on the Y connector, next plug the extension cable into the remaining port on the Y connector and the other end into the Auxiliary input port on the front of the radio. Install an H-D Bomm (Not BOOM, which is what Harley calls their radio equipment) and you will be able to make calls on your bike. You can do a modification to the radio if you want that will add an additional Auxiliary input to the back of the radio so that you do not have a wire running to the front of the radio. You can download the modification instructions from www.hdbomm.com.

Jim

RumbleGuy

Jim,
You are the first guy that I've come across that knows what he's talking about with regard to this issue. What a breath of fresh air that is. I have two questions and a statement:
Question: If I follow the procedure you describe, when a call comes in, 1) is the music temporarily interupted for the call (as should be the case) AND 2) is the Zumo 660 interface used to accept or ignore the call?
Statement: For an almost $40K bike, it's annoying as hell that I have to be going through this to create basic functionality in 2011.
Sincerely, Tom
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:59:31 AM by RumbleGuy »

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Jim,
You are the first guy that I've come across that knows what he's talking about with regard to this issue. What a breath of fresh air that is. I have two questions and a statement:
Question: If I follow the procedure you describe, when a call comes in, 1) is the music temporarily interupted for the call (as should be the case) AND 2) is the Zumo 660 interface used to accept or ignore the call?
Statement: For an almost $40K bike, it's annoying as hell that I have to be going through this to create basic functionality in 2011.
Sincerely, Tom

The only music that will be temporarily interupted for a phone call via the GPS will be MP3 songs played from the 660 GPS, a turn prompt will also interupt the MP3 songs played from the GPS. If you had a 665 then you would also have XM and that would also be interupted for a phone call or a turn prompt. With a NIM installed a phone call will NOT interrupt any function of the radio such as an FM or AM station, CD, etc. The NIM will only interrupt the radio functions for a turn prompt it will not interrupt the radio functions for a phone call, to hear the phone ring from the GPS you must have your radio in the AUX input mode. To hear a phone call or MP3 songs from the GPS you must have the audio output of the GPS connected to the Auxiliary input port on the radio. A factory installed NIM does not have the audio output cable from the GPS connected to the Aux input on the radio.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:07:52 AM by bissjim »

RumbleGuy

Jim,
I think we need to send you to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, so you can explain to Ron Hutchinson, SVP of Product Development, and  Mat Levatich, COO, how easy it would be for them to put basic, expected, functionality in their new bikes.
Sincerely, Tom

P.S. Any HD execs reading this, please take note. If you want to keep that P/E ratio on HOG, you're going to need to get with the times beyond mechanics and chrome.

gizmo78023

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE

Buy a Y splitter and a 3' stereo 3.5mm stereo extension cable.

Jim
Is there a HD part number for this/these or just a Radio Shack work around?

I have the '11 FLTRUSE, the standard CVO HD Advanced Radio features and accessories including NIM and IPOD interface and the Road Tech 660.  Let's say I'm listening to XM, have a passenger on the back with occasional INTERCOM chatter, and monitoring the CB for fellow road captain information.  A phone call comes in that I want to take.  After assembling the rest of these forgotten HD parts, and adding your BOMM, must I switch to AUX in order to talk and hear on that cell phone conversation?  Right?  Will I still have CB and INTERCOM capability, simultaneous to the aforementioned?  I really don't want the MP3 from the 660 since I have the IPOD module.

Right now, with the INT OFF, CB OFF, AM/FM/CD/XM ON and speaker switch in the headphones only mode, I have noticed when the NAV instructions come through, if I blow into the mic, it is like the intercom is keyed up, the noise comes over with the NAV instructions and in the headphones.  Is that the way it should work?

I had a Cellset in my last three Ultras.  I am wondering if this is REALLY the way to go, again.  Would I leave the NIM in place or remove it since the Cellset works the prompts and cell phone activity into the intercom so perfectly?  The only thing I lose without the NIM is the prompts coming over the speakers - Cellset only comes through the headset on the intercom line.

Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes...

2011 FLTRUSE, Rio Red/Ember Black
Bushtec Roadstar
MODS: Fullsac Ceramic X-Pipe TBI, Fullsac 1.75" CVO Baffles TBI, Dynojet Power Vision TBI, Kennedy Technologies Cellset TBI, "George Anderson" Tour Pack Relocator TBI, Running/Turn/Brake Light Integrator TBI
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.