Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Answers to Problems with the Navigation Interface Module Part # 76000024  (Read 57481 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

You should be able to find them at Radio Shack but if you can not then here are some links. I am not saying to buy them from these suppliers I am just providing a link so you can see what you need.

6 “ Y Splitter:
http://www.amazon.com/Female-Stereo-Splitter-Cable-inches/dp/tech-data/B0016LDZ36

3.5mm Stereo Extension Cable with Right Angle Plug. You do not need a Right Angle plug it just looks cleaner if you are using the Auxiliary input on the front of the radio.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/MS-SPSC-1

3.5mm Straight Stereo Extension Cable. If you do the radio modification to add an Auxiliary input port to the back of your radio you can use a straight cable. If you buy from this site make sure you select the 1.5 foot one.
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-40408-Female-Extension/dp/tech-data/B0012MMW7E

Let's say I'm listening to XM, have a passenger on the back with occasional INTERCOM chatter, and monitoring the CB for fellow road captain information.  A phone call comes in that I want to take.  After assembling the rest of these forgotten HD parts, and adding your BOMM, must I switch to AUX in order to talk and hear on that cell phone conversation?  Right?  Will I still have CB and INTERCOM capability, simultaneous to the aforementioned?  I really don't want the MP3 from the 660 since I have the IPOD module.

You must be in the Auxiliary input mode to hear anything from the GPS with the exception of a turn prompt if you have the NIM installed. If you are not on Auxiliary then you will not hear the phone ring so you will not know you have a phone call, unless you happen to look at the GPS and see it. You will still have intercom and a CB signal will interrupt the Auxiliary input mode so you will hear the CB.

Right now, with the INT OFF, CB OFF, AM/FM/CD/XM ON and speaker switch in the headphones only mode, I have noticed when the NAV instructions come through, if I blow into the mic, it is like the intercom is keyed up, the noise comes over with the NAV instructions and in the headphones.  Is that the way it should work?

The NIM is not supposed to activate the helmet microphone.

These are problems with the NIM that have been reported to me:

The NIM intermittently activates when I am listening to MP3 songs. This is caused when the song or portion of the song closely resembles the trigger signal (turn prompt signal from the GPS) that the NIM is looking for. This can also happen when you are talking on the phone or if you have a 665 and you are listening to XM.

My microphone activates when a turn prompt comes though and I can not hear the turn prompt because of all the noise. Like I said the NIM is not supposed to do this.

I only hear some of the turn prompt. Sometime the NIM is slow to activate so you do not hear the entire turn prompt. You might hear “1 mile” instead of “turn left in 1 mile”

The Cellset works well but if you are a bit older like myself and your hearing is not the best then you want to stay away from it because it does not have the amplitude required for the hard of hearing. You also loose intercom and CB when the Cellset activates. What is nice about using the radio is that you have the amplifier capabilities and you can adjust the volume. Golden years my butt.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

gizmo78023

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE

Thanks for the help, Jim.  Shame that the "Advanced Radio" isn't more advanced than this.  I have some decisions to face.  :confused5: I like my "other" radio stations, so the cellset seems to be the best match overall.

Would it seem sensible to remove the NIM, or will it "play" with the Cellset, and still give me output to the external speakers?  Just thinking.
Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes...

2011 FLTRUSE, Rio Red/Ember Black
Bushtec Roadstar
MODS: Fullsac Ceramic X-Pipe TBI, Fullsac 1.75" CVO Baffles TBI, Dynojet Power Vision TBI, Kennedy Technologies Cellset TBI, "George Anderson" Tour Pack Relocator TBI, Running/Turn/Brake Light Integrator TBI

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

It is all about riding style. Riders who like listening to their favorite radio station will find the NIM useful at times. Riders like me who very seldom listen to radio stations but like their own music and have loaded up their GPS memory card with hundreds of tunes or listen to their XM (if they have the 665) will not find the NIM useful. I personally hate fading FM radio reception when riding locally and on a trip it seams that I spend most of my time searching for a good FM station and when I find one it fades away in 50 miles or so and I have to search all over again. So I do not listen to any thing but MP3 songs or XM via the GPS. I do not worry about hearing a phone call because I am already listening to the GPS.

You do not need the NIM if you are going with the Cellset but you should disconnect it to eliminate any false triggering.

I have been told that Harley is going to be releasing a new update for the radio that is supposed to fix some or all of the problems with the NIM. I do not know if this is true or not so keep an eye on the Harley web site for an update. If they are anything like Microsoft updates it will fix one problem and create a dozen new ones...LOL

Jim

rdrunner

How do I get the roadtech to not interupt the audio for turn prompts...will putting the gps in mute solve the problem or do I have to do something else.... I  have an 11 rgcvo  Thanks!!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Mute will get err done...  ::)
Jim

rdrunner

Thanks!

Randy C

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 SERG Silver and Titanium Dust

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw

Hi Jim it's me again ,I took my bike for the first ride of the year today and everything worked fine except for the false triggering I saw that you mentioned,It was very annoying because it would lower the volume to the Phone Volume used for the gps .Is there a fix for this or maybe something I'm doing wrong .We may still have to throw this bike away.As always any help would be appreciated Thanks Randy
Growing old isn't for sissys and growing up  isn't an option!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Hello Randy:

I was told that Harley was coming out with a software update for the radio, which may fix the false triggering. Other then that I do not know of any way to fix it other then replacing the NIM. I am not sure that replacing the NIM will fix the issue as you may get another NIM that does the same thing.

Jim

RumbleGuy

Jim,
Isn't the "false triggering" how it should would? I just bought a 2011 FLTRUSE and paired my phone with the Zumo 660 via bluetooth expecting phone calls to interupt music play just like GPS driving instructions. Sometimes it worked, but most of the times it didn't. I was thrilled how easily the phone paired with the GPS, thus not needing to pair it with another bluetooth capable device. The music would be playing, a phone call would come in, the music would stop for a moment signaling that a call had come in, and the 660 would display two big buttons "Ignore" or "Accept" call. If I took the call, I'd be talking and once I finished the call, the music would resume. If I selected "Ignore", the music would immediately resume and route the caller into my phone's voicemail.
However, Harley says this ability of the phone to halt the music when a phone call comes in is a software bug. They went on to call it "unsupported functionality", i.e. after you find the seemingly one guy in the entire company that knows how the system is suppposed to work. I still don't understand how this is a bug. To me, this is how the system should work. If anything is a bug, it is the fact that it only works once in a while. If Harley created any software fix, I would say create one that makes this "unsupported functionality" work every time. Am I missing something here? Isn't the problem as easy as that?
Tom

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110

Hello Randy:

I was told that Harley was coming out with a software update for the radio, which may fix the false triggering. Other then that I do not know of any way to fix it other then replacing the NIM. I am not sure that replacing the NIM will fix the issue as you may get another NIM that does the same thing.

Jim

HD has replaced the NIM in my bike to fix the false triggering.  New NIM does the same thing!
 :(

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Jim,
Isn't the "false triggering" how it should would? I just bought a 2011 FLTRUSE and paired my phone with the Zumo 660 via bluetooth expecting phone calls to interupt music play just like GPS driving instructions. Sometimes it worked, but most of the times it didn't. I was thrilled how easily the phone paired with the GPS, thus not needing to pair it with another bluetooth capable device. The music would be playing, a phone call would come in, the music would stop for a moment signaling that a call had come in, and the 660 would display two big buttons "Ignore" or "Accept" call. If I took the call, I'd be talking and once I finished the call, the music would resume. If I selected "Ignore", the music would immediately resume and route the caller into my phone's voicemail.
However, Harley says this ability of the phone to halt the music when a phone call comes in is a software bug. They went on to call it "unsupported functionality", i.e. after you find the seemingly one guy in the entire company that knows how the system is suppposed to work. I still don't understand how this is a bug. To me, this is how the system should work. If anything is a bug, it is the fact that it only works once in a while. If Harley created any software fix, I would say create one that makes this "unsupported functionality" work every time. Am I missing something here? Isn't the problem as easy as that?
Tom

I agree the NIM should interrupt the radio with any audio signal from the GPS but that is not the way Harley built the NIM. They built it to interrupt the radio ONLY for a turn prompt. If your NIM interrupts the radio for a phone call or when you are playing MP3 songs via the GPS then the NIM is NOT working correctly the NIM is not supposed to trigger but some times it does. This is the unsupported functionality thing. If I had designed the NIM for Harley it I would have designed it to interrupt any radio function except the CB. When ever ANY audio signal was present at the output of the GPS. And I would have made it so that you could use ANY GPS not just the Harley Road Tech version of the Garmin Zumo. That is how I designed my interface module.

Jim

Randy C

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 SERG Silver and Titanium Dust

• CVO1: 09 Serg Silver Titanium Dust V&H power header,TT race tuner,Fullsac 2.25 baffles,Windsvest windshield,Mustang seat,Garman 665gps,Riders claw

I talked to the MOCO today and was told that they know they have a problem and infact they were having a meeting today to try and resolve it.They gave me a reference number and told me to call back every other week.I have to much invested to give up hope,maybe we'll get lucky and someone that knows what there doing can come up with a fix.The rep that I talked to at first said he never heard of any problem but then he talked to a tech and found out different.Jim maybe you should design a nim and sell me the first one haha
Growing old isn't for sissys and growing up  isn't an option!

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member

:-[ :-[ :-[

:soapbox:

HD should fix this problem so it works with all of the options of the Garmin including the phone, MPS etc. 

The Cellset was on my last two bikes and is a great solution as long as you wear a headset (which I normally due so I can use the CB).  One of if not the best add on to the bike. 

The NIM works well for the GPS signals but should work with all the functionality of the Garmin.

Great solution for the iPod Nano, terrible for the NIM.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

I talked to the MOCO today and was told that they know they have a problem and infact they were having a meeting today to try and resolve it.They gave me a reference number and told me to call back every other week.I have to much invested to give up hope,maybe we'll get lucky and someone that knows what there doing can come up with a fix.The rep that I talked to at first said he never heard of any problem but then he talked to a tech and found out different.Jim maybe you should design a NIM and sell me the first one ha ha

I built and have had a priority interface for over a year now. In fact I had mine on my bike 8 months or more before anyone ever heard of the NIM. I designed it to work as I said above, all audio signals from the GPS (Navigation Prompts, MP3 songs, Phone Call and XM) interrupts all other functions of the radio except the CB and I do not use the Auxiliary input port. My problem is that it is a bit more complex then I would like it to be and in order to get the price down to a reasonable amount I would have to have them made in China. Besides having to pay lots of $$$ just to have 500 units made (minimum) I do not like buying things made in China so I will not have some thing made in China. Way to many Americans out of work because of the cheap crap that comes across the water from China as it is. If Harley gets their face out of their behind they will fix it and make it work for any signal not just a Road Tech. They would sell thousands more NIM's if they changed the name to PIM (Priority Interface Module) and made it to work as a priority input instead of a navigation interrupt module.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:19:53 AM by bissjim »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.