Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Eglide fairing removal  (Read 7302 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Eglide fairing removal
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 06:55:12 PM »

Nope - the only trick to the Road Glide fairing is not pushing the rubber nuts back inside the fairing upon re-install - which is very easy to do and very frustrating.  I always kept some extra's on hand, so if it happened, I could just leave them in there until the next time and not have to take it all back apart again and start over....  Kind of like my personal recycling and stress relief program ... :2vrolijk_21:

On the RG fairings there is no need to remove the windshield when removing the fairing. There are 3 T25 torx screws on each side and the lower brackets / turn signal mounts to remove. When these are all out lift up on the fairing to remove. There are two hooks that hold it in place. Re-install on these is more difficult that the EG as getting the hooks in is a b#tch. Sometimes i remove the headlamp to align the hooks then install the screws and headlamp last.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »

And if you want get fancy and make this a bit easier to re-install, install (with locktite) two threaded studs or set screws in place of the two screws you remove.  When you reassemble the fairing, it is far easier to start two nuts onto the threaded studs then it is to install the original screws.

Two threaded studs where? To replace the bottom two screws?
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »

Two threaded studs where? To replace the bottom two screws?

YES!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »

On the RG fairings there is no need to remove the windshield when removing the fairing. There are 3 T25 torx screws on each side and the lower brackets / turn signal mounts to remove. When these are all out lift up on the fairing to remove. There are two hooks that hold it in place. Re-install on these is more difficult that the EG as getting the hooks in is a b#tch. Sometimes i remove the headlamp to align the hooks then install the screws and headlamp last.

Hadn't looked close enough at the fairing mounts to realize the signal housings came off to R&R.  Thanks Jim.  If you've done it several times and still think aligning whatever these hooks are is a pain I'm not looking forward to the first reinstall.  Will have to mount the bad-word-collector in the garage to catch those few that might escape.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »

Hadn't looked close enough at the fairing mounts to realize the signal housings came off to R&R.  Thanks Jim.  If you've done it several times and still think aligning whatever these hooks are is a pain I'm not looking forward to the first reinstall.  Will have to mount the bad-word-collector in the garage to catch those few that might escape.

Have done this hundreds of times, You learn the "feel" of where the hooks are. You will see when you get it apart how they work. There are those that still just want to be a pain and yes the bad word collector will be in order (and make sure the niece isn't around).... :-X I have found that when there is a dificult one its just as easy to take the extra step and remove the head lamp lens and then the head lamp assembly. Its all held in with plastic clips. In the end the install is far easier when you can see the hooks and line them up throught the headlamp hole....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »

Have done this hundreds of times, You learn the "feel" of where the hooks are. You will see when you get it apart how they work. There are those that still just want to be a pain and yes the bad word collector will be in order (and make sure the niece isn't around).... :-X I have found that when there is a dificult one its just as easy to take the extra step and remove the head lamp lens and then the head lamp assembly. Its all held in with plastic clips. In the end the install is far easier when you can see the hooks and line them up throught the headlamp hole....

Appreciate the heads up.  Did notice the finger/thumb releases for the outer headlamp shield.  The inner reflector is a snap in clip of some kind also?  Hadn't looked at that at all yet but have to replace the one that's in my bike.  Lots of flaking off the original reflector.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »

Appreciate the heads up.  Did notice the finger/thumb releases for the outer headlamp shield.  The inner reflector is a snap in clip of some kind also?  Hadn't looked at that at all yet but have to replace the one that's in my bike.  Lots of flaking off the original reflector.

Yes, there are plastic connectors that the headlamp adjustment / alignment screws go into, just squeeze them to remove. It a good idea to have a spare or two on hand as well, have seen many broken ones when they come apart.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »

Yes, there are plastic connectors that the headlamp adjustment / alignment screws go into, just squeeze them to remove. It a good idea to have a spare or two on hand as well, have seen many broken ones when they come apart.

Thanks Jim.  Already grabbed a hand full of spare #10/32 wellnuts for spares as a lesson learned from the first time the windshield was off.  Was glad to see the windshield can stay on the fairing for its removal as a result.  Will grab some of the pieces you describe for the same spare parts drawer.  Appreciate the insights and advice.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »

Thanks Jim.  Already grabbed a hand full of spare #10/32 wellnuts for spares as a lesson learned from the first time the windshield was off.  Was glad to see the windshield can stay on the fairing for its removal as a result.  Will grab some of the pieces you describe for the same spare parts drawer.  Appreciate the insights and advice.

I know you can keep the windshield attached to the fairing when removing the fairing, but I always removed it anyway - only because it was such a handful to re-install the fairing.  The RG fairing was much more difficult to re-install then the EG fairing is.  Maybe just me - but it seemed the odds of scratching the windshield or some other bonehead move damaging it went up if I left it attached.  Don't ask how I know this... ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 20 queries.