Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: '07 vs. '08 Springer  (Read 15480 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
Re: '07 vs. '08 Springer
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »

Best thing about 08 Springer wheels  is that both are radial. This makes them much stronger on the walls thus not allowing the ballon of the wheel to have the tendency to give way when a lot of centrifugal and centripetal forces are exerted on the tires. This means they maintain their shape a lot better than normal ply bias wheels. All sports bikes "wear" them, so my guess is that the 08's should handle better. Have to check the alignment of the wheels, because I don't believe they come from the factory out of line; if so the bike would behave differently when taking right handers or lefthanders and I haven't noticed anything weird; still I've only done 500 miles so it is soon to tell  :2vrolijk_21:
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »

Nice bike Spanish Flyerand a good shot of it.  Good analogy on the front tire.  I don't think the 2007 was thought of as a cornering machine at speed, kind of like a T-Bucket railer. 

Well my bike has been done (tires) and is in winter storage there (50 miles).  Waiting for the HORROR when I pick it up......S/F  Jack
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »

Best thing about 08 Springer wheels  is that both are radial. This makes them much stronger on the walls thus not allowing the ballon of the wheel to have the tendency to give way when a lot of centrifugal and centripetal forces are exerted on the tires.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but can you explain this a little more? And also, what do you mean by "ballon"?  I looked it up in the dictionary, and the definition doesn't make sense to this application. Thanks.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but can you explain this a little more? And also, what do you mean by "ballon"?  I looked it up in the dictionary, and the definition doesn't make sense to this application. Thanks.

I believe he spelled "BALOON" wrong....  :coolblue:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 04:28:37 AM »

Thanks for the correction Deuce Bigelow, it seems we both got it wrongly spelled  :oops:

Sorry folks I actually meant "BALLOON"

Here's a link from Michellin explaining the differences between both type of tires..
http://www.michelinag.com/agx/en-US/products/advantages/bias_radial/bias_radial.jsp

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 12:55:36 PM »

08 feels heavy in the front end to me, cornering i see no difference, 08 seems better in the loose roadways,they say it is better balanced? maybe i am used to my 07, still feels heavy in the front to me
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 05:10:03 PM »

Cobra,

So far you are the only one who has ridden both. Interesting observations!

blowncobra

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Blue
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Street Glide Orange Lava
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 09:51:07 AM »

As far as the cornering and radial tire explanation listed in the other posts, i can say that my 07 ran the Tail of the Dragon at speed and had no cornering issues.(except foot pegs grinding on the roadway) The 08 bikes do have an offset front to rear tire alignment. I considered buying an 08 but after driving it and the appeal to me is the 07 is a better looking bike anyway. So i am considering a SERK for this years purchase.
a lot of guys say the springers in general do not corner good and are too primative of a suspension, they are leary of the skinny front tire etc. I have no reservations at all about the springers in riding in a reasonable fashion. For sure it is not a crouch rocket suspension, but then again what Harley does?
THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS A DRINK

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »

A 07 better looking than a 08?????? :soapbox: very funny  ;D NO WAY! just looking at that front bicycle wheel of yours... :bananarock:

Now seriously, I believe the 08 is a better equilibrated bike since the difference in size between the front and rear tires is very much the same as any high performance road bike which are supossed to be the best handling bikes in tonw... But if we are going by the taste and the different opinions, you have the best looking bike and I also have the same; yours is 07 and mine 08...
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 03:50:24 PM »

Maybe I'm just goofy but I don't see how Harley could build a bike with an offset front wheel.  It wouldn't track right and the shops are always concerned about making sure the wheels are aligned when they adjust the belt or change out a tire.

FWIW

Regards, CVOMOE
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »

So far, only Cobra has ridden both. Everything else is just guessing.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »

Maybe I'm just goofy but I don't see how Harley could build a bike with an offset front wheel.  It wouldn't track right and the shops are always concerned about making sure the wheels are aligned when they adjust the belt or change out a tire.

FWIW

Regards, CVOMOE

Take a look at an '07 Springer front end. The wheel is not centered between the forks, it is moved to the right to keep it in line with the fat rear. Now look at the '08: the front tire is centered in the forks and nothing else is changed. According to the mechanics at our local shop, many Harleys over the years have not had their front and rear tires in the same plane. They tell me that the Dynas are generally the best aligned. I've never measured it so I don't know.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »

I'll take a look this weekend, when I install the ThunderMax I will also check front to rear wheel alignment with my laser measuring device...Still, a couple of nylon fishing lines will do; I'll keep you informed, but to tell you the truth I'd be very very upset with Harley if the wheels are not aligned as they should...
Have a beer, I pay this round.
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »

Good deal! Will look forward to hearing the results of the laser measurements.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 11:32:23 PM »

I'll take a look this weekend, when I install the ThunderMax I will also check front to rear wheel alignment with my laser measuring device...
Spanish Flyer

How did the wheels measure out?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.