Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 07 springer shutting off while riding.  (Read 6997 times)

PHPracing

07 springer shutting off while riding.
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »

i know this is my first thread, but ive asked my dealer that i bought it from many times and they have no idea why the motor is shutting off in the middle of a ride. mostly on hot days. i figured it was cause it was hot and the motor is keeping itself from over heating. since theres a whole thread on CVO springer. figured you guys can give me some input. what do you think?

Also, any of youhave a mustache bar for highway pegs? how do they look? if you do can you post a pic so i know if i want to get them on here or not

2007 FXSTSSE
upgrades: sundowner seat
more to come...

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: 07 springer shutting off while riding.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »

PHPracing, I haven't had mine quit during riding but once around 3000 - 4000 mile mark it did quit after a hard ride as I pulled up to a stop sign.  It didn't want to start again for about 5 minutes.  Never figured it out and it hasn't done it again since then.  Can't help you with the highway bars as mine is set up pretty minimalist. Take the time to introduce yourself on the new members introductions thread and a hearty welcome to the site from west Tennessee!
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »

Find a better shop and provide a more detailed description of the problem.  Does the bike quit running completely, or does one cylinder stop firing when you come to a stop?  Big difference, as one is a deadly safety problem that should be addressed immediately and the other is a normal function of the engine idle temperature management system (which can be turned off if you don't like it btw).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

PHPracing

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:00:03 PM »

its shutting off completely. i know theres something wrong. i didnt think the rear cylinder shut off on mine. my dad had a CVO UC and i know his does it. i didnt think mine did it. the last time it did it was sunday. about half way thru Emilys ride. it was the 5th time it did it. my pops say that im hitting the kill switch. and i know where the kill switch is and i know im not hitting it cuz then it would be in the off position. every time since he said that ive been looking and thats not the problem. The harley dealership has never heard of it just shutting off like that and cant give me any info (what a great dealership right?) im thinkin it shutting off cause its getting to hot. my bike currently has almost 7k miles on it (bought it with 2600 back in may 2011). It not very often that it does it, and it wont do it twice in one day. i do do alot of rides with it and most days its all good, i listen to my ipod while i ride and i dont notice when it shuts off. i just notice when i go to get on the throttle and nothing happens. look down the rpm gauge reads 0 rpms. i think thats all the info i can give you guys cuz thats all i know.

2007 FXSTSSE
more to come...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »

Is everything on the bike going dead, like no lights, no indicators on the speedo/tach, etc, or is it just the engine quitting?  I assume (I wouldn't assume the dealer checked this) that you've checked the battery connections to make sure they are clean/tight?

This happened to my Vrod once...dead as a doornail.  Checked everything I could on the side of the road and found nothing wrong...ended up being a bad ground on the bike (not the battery connections).  Fortunately, I was out in the country when this happened and not in the middle lane of the interstate running 75mph.  Something like this could get you killed if it happens in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sounds like maybe you need to turn the Ipod down a smidge if you can't tell if a HD 110" motor is running...I'm just sayin'... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110Mofo

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »

I had an 2003 roadglide that I had to change a fuse from 40a to 50a once. I forget why but it only blew the fuse when it got hot.

Wish I could help more

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

PHPracing

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »

no everything seemed fine. lights and the red light tint on the tach and speedo where fine. its just the motor that shut off. as if i did hit the kill switch and the motor shut off. i was on a ride and there was someone next to me with some V&H pipes so thats all i was hearing the whole time i was riding. she had an obnoxious horn too that she was honking while we were passing people. plus my headphones arnt all that great so i get alot of air into the headphone and can barley hear them while I'm riding anyways. but one time before i found out about wearing headphones, it did it and it seemed as if the motor wasn't getting enough gas to it kinda putts then shuts off. i wasn't even able to push in the clutch cause hen i did it died. but it only seems to do it when its hot. and does that rear jug shut off while idling to keep it from over heating. i know my dads does but i dint know if mine does it to. all the maintenance has been done by HD, everytime i take it in they say its fine. i know there was a recall on it but before i bought it they had the recall done already. I'm really not sure what i should do, if HD says theres no problems and i cant tell them when it happens cause it happens so rarely, i cant just go up to them and say" ride it around for a bit and it'll happen" cause it probably wont

2007 FXSTSSE
more to come...

PHPracing

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »

i havent checked that. do you know what fuse it was? ive had to change a fuse before but it was for the headlights shorting out, i was on a thursday night ride and it was getting dark and since its illegal to ride w.o. headlights i had to change it and miss the ride.

2007 FXSTSSE
more to come...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »

It's not a fuse ( I think 110 Mofo was thinking of the old circuit breaker problem, and the newer bikes don't have that circuit breaker).  If a fuse blows and thus kills your engine, it would never start again until you changed the fuse.

You really need to find a good technician at a good shop (obviously not your dealership) to perform some real diagnostics rather than just more guesswork.  This sort of thing can kill you if it happens in the wrong place at the wrong time, so you need to take it seriously.

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »

I have never heard of this problem, I have 48k km on my 07 Springer.
My engine did die the other day but that was because I almost ran out out gas, almost didnt make it home, gas tank dropped to the last LED just as I passed the petrol station Wurenlos, engine died going up hill on the Autobahn near Seebach, braked sharply to get the petrol up the front of the tank to transfer from one side to the other, the engine ran again, died again a few Km later on the exit to Dubi, ran again to the Shell gas station but it was closed and no cc payment option, managed to feather the bike home lol

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »

Not that I would recommend you start swapping out parts without first doing the diagnostic legwork - but a crank sensor going bad can periodically shut the motor off without leaving any codes behind....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hx3

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - Blue
    • CVO2: Not CVO - 2008 Crossbones
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »

I would replace your fuel filter as a starting point and run some fuel injection cleaner.  Your bike sat a long time before you bought it and it may be related to fuel sitting in your tank/injectors for long periods of time.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »

PHP...have you noticed whether it does this when it's getting to any certain level of fuel in the tank, like maybe 1/2 tank or less?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

PHPracing

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »

i never really thought about it but yeah it could be that its an 07 and when i bought it, the dealer had it for about 6 weeks. but they always started it and put it outside for show.  but before then i think it went from dealer to dealer with no buyers. the guy before me bought it put some upgrades and only put 2600 miles on it. so it might be the fuel cleaner having some gunk in it. and i alway put gas in it before a long run so i dont run out of gas. and i dont ride much at night.

On another note, has anyone had problems with the gas gauge flashing at times? i fixed that problem but there was a time there where i had to estimate when i needed gas.

2007 FXSTSSE
more to come...

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »

The 110B motor on your Springer is not equipped with the rear cylinder cut off as it is on the A model that come on the bagger models.  I also agree that a faulty crank position sensor can cause these same symptoms you're having.  I would at least trace the crank position sensor wiring harness to where it plugs in and check that the connector is seated properly.  Good luck
Jesus is Lord
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.