Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Fltruse maintenance  (Read 765 times)

Falcon53

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

2011 Fltruse maintenance
« on: June 06, 2020, 12:39:15 PM »

I’m about to start a few maintenance/upgrades.
Replace stock valve springs with a less beefy spring
Replace both lifters
Replace cam chain to gear?
Looking for advice!!!

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
Re: 2011 Fltruse maintenance
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »

How many miles on it? Is it giving you trouble or just looking to prevent issues? I kinda went through the same thing. At 30k miles I went through the cam chest and put in new inner cam bearings, new chain tensioner shoes, new cam, new lifters, and new push rods (because I had to cut the old ones). The chain and sprockets were fine so reused them. The oil pump was fine so I reused that to. Even with doing all this myself it was still pricey. If you don't have the tools to do the cam bearings you will need to purchase them. Changing springs complicates the job big time and I felt the stockers were still good so I left them alone. Do you suspect the springs are bad? I had the bike re-tuned after I was done because I put in a different cam. That was another outlay of cash. Not sure if that was really necessary... Just telling you what I did. I am very happy with the way the bike runs. 

Falcon53

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:54:50 PM »

Approaching 50k. I bought it with 45k. My first trip on it a lifter toasted on me. A nearby H-D dealer replaced it and the oil pump it also toasted. Hence I would like to replace both lifters. I have read that the stock valve springs can cause problems and less stiff springs were better. As far as the cams go I thought I might as well check the chain and replace or change. I have tools. Just looking for ideas and opinions.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 12:20:05 PM »

i would leave it with chain drive.  When you have it apart, check the crank run-out before diving into buying parts.  If crank run-out is 0.005" or more, then you are into a much larger project (bottom end).
I would do the cam bearings while in there.  Consider having the heads cleaned up.  There was some problems in the past with valve guides dropping, so might be worth having a proper head shop to go over them and cleaning them up.  Also, consider adding the Rocker Lockers in the heads to reduce some of the top end noise.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »

I agree with JKM. Stick with the chain. Also agree with the head suggestions JKM provided. You could freshen all that up and easily rack up another 50K miles with confidence. Let us know what you decide to go with.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.