Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary Leaking Again!  (Read 651 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Primary Leaking Again!
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »

Gosh I'm pissed.  I had the local dealer install the Baker DD6 last year in May. Prior to that, it's been bone dry for 4 years.  Shortly after the install, the primary starts leaking.  Had to wait 2 weeks to get it in, but they took care of it.  Now, 14 months later, I'm getting ready leave tomorrow for a tour 1/2 way across the country, and the damn thing is leaking again.  So I call the service mgr this morning, and naturally they aren't going to cover it. He also can't see it for at least 2 weeks, so seems I'm stuck. I guess I'll bring a 27T and a qt of oil along and just top it 1/2 way through.

Anyway, so I'm talking to this turd, rather agrily because he's saying the inner or block must be warped?  WTF?  How in the hell can anything wrap just like that, especially after being bone dry all these years. He insists that's what happens after you crack the factory build. The net effect is, he's not only looking at 2 hours + materials, but also a new inner for another 3 bills.  So I ask him, why can't you just use high temp gasket sealer seeing it's just a drip or two after every ride. That should solve the problem. He says no can do - The gasket sealer will continue to contaminate the oil, and ruin the clutch.

Sounds like a bunch of bullchit.  Thoughts?

BTW - Do you have to remove the clutch & compensator to change the inner gasket? How hard of a job is it?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Primary Leaking Again!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

Yes you have to remove the inner primary.  There is a gasket on the inside of the inner primary at the engine end.  The bolts I believe have sealing washers on them that bolt the inner primary to the engine/transmission (5 bolts).. 

At the tranny end of the inner primary is the inner primary seal and an oring on the starter.

Primary fluid can also leak thru the threads on the starter jackshaft bolt.  There is a lock washer with seal on that bolt but there needs to be sealer on the threads also.

There may be a starter jackshaft seal also.

Many places to leak on an 04-06 if that's what you have. 

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.