Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: 110" CVO Softail Build  (Read 43416 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: 110" CVO Softail Build
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »

Coatings didnt screw you, getting the right directions bit you. water under the bridge at this point though
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »

I don't know if Polydyne is the answer and Swain is not. One customer of mine made good power with a 107 that had all the Swain coatings just like yours. 124/120 with reasonable compression and a perfect tune.
An endorsement from Darin Morgan is one I would take with confidence. He is a true experienced professional. That said he is basically saying the same thing the dry film lubricants are beneficial and the ceramic piston coating may be beneficial but minimal. Plus his area of expertise and the context is high end water cooled V8s.

I am not sure throwing the baby out with the bath water is necessary. Just get the CR down a little, work with a tuner that can optimize your combination. The Delphi does an erratic hack and slash of timing and sometimes falsely. This can amount to momentary 12-15°+ in timing pulled then back to normal. There is no chance to make power when that is going on. So for testing purposes you can have the tuner toggle off Ion Sensing and then work the timing tables. Another trick is to limit the amount the Delphi can pull like 2 or 3 degrees and leave the ion sensing on.
On Polydynes page they suggest "less timing, more fuel". Personally I have limited experience and I would call Swain or Polydyne for more information. I know Swain does have quite a bit of HD experience as they are right in the same neighborhood as Dan Baisley, another very sharp man.

15 degrees of timing was pulled out of the base table at 3,000 rpm and 50-70 kpa.  It was still knocking and trying to pull 5-10+ degrees out.  The ion-sensing was turned off, and it didn't knock loud like classic detonation, however, it did have some extra vibration that could be felt in the bars.  Mike was pretty sure it was detonation.

I might call Swain tomorrow, but it will be tough for me to not remove the coatings.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »

Before I tore the motor down, I did a compression check.  The rear cylinder had 215 psi and the front had 115 psi.  I took off the exhaust and cranked the motor.  You could hear and feel the air bypassing the exhaust valve on the compression stroke.  I guess the rear valve never seated properly.  Most likely, the coatings screwed me again.
Either way, the heads, cylinders and pistons are in good hands.

I have to agree with Unbalanced.  I think some procedure issues might have screwed you rather than the actual coatings.  Coatings, properly applied are commonplace today in many types of motors.

And I absolutely agree your pieces are now in good hands.  The Lozano Brothers are long established with a fantastic track record.  We used some of there road racing motors back in the mid 80's with great success!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »

I think some procedure issues might have screwed you rather than the actual coatings. 

I was trying not to point fingers at the head porter/builder.  That just happens to be the same person that sent the gaskets to Swain Tech for a 4.125" bore, but won't admit it and blames Swain Tech on switching the gaskets.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »

Well the compression test turns the tables for sure.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »

I was trying not to point fingers at the head porter/builder.  That just happens to be the same person that sent the gaskets to Swain Tech for a 4.125" bore, but won't admit it and blames Swain Tech on switching the gaskets.

Me neither...  Just pointing out that coatings, properly applied and properly utilized, are common and typically used successfully...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »

I agree and have found it interesting studying the topic of coatings which included a talk with CP engineering.
It is too easy for a topic to carry way too much weight when they are discussed in this fashion. And sometimes become a red herring off the root cause of the problem.
Truly the coating thing, for example, is so far down the list of majors.
Well the good news is this build now has a path and should make good power when squared away. Good luck with it.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »

I was trying not to point fingers at the head porter/builder.  That just happens to be the same person that sent the gaskets to Swain Tech for a 4.125" bore, but won't admit it and blames Swain Tech on switching the gaskets.

Collin,
I beg your pardon, but I PERSONALLY, sent 4" bore Cometic gaskets in the Fed-Ex parcel when they were shipped to Swain Technologies, which they DID NOT return to us upon recieving them back from them.
Also noticed the stains on your granite heads once they were recieved from them as well.
Used Swain 3 times now, and never had issues with them.
Scott

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »

Have tuned engines with coatings one both pistons and chambers along with ex port. If you get a false signal its only going to show up on the data log, if you can hear it well then you have other issues. As far as valves not sealing a coating really would not create that. Even if it was extremely think at one point the valve would go through it like butter. Its not a anti wear coating( say .0015-.002) its very thin, on a area like a valve and seat the contact point would clean itself in extremely short order. Like a few raps with a rubber mallet or your  palm.  Those guys are very sharp, Mike will tell you what is going on and how what he needs to correct the issue.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »

I talked to Swain Tech today and they recommended leaning out the tune and adding timing....I think I'll pass on even atempting to run the motor that lean or with more timing.

Also, the front piston/cylinder has some light scoring. For a motor that had 10-15 mike on it, I'm not very comfortable. I ordered a set of 20* Axtel .010" pistons.  Those will be sent to LBP so my cylinders can be bored and the heads given the treatment to match.  Hopefully in 3 weeks I'll be back on the dyno.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »

Wow, this is really turning into a mess. Sorry your having to go through all this, I'm sure it'll be right when you get it back.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »

I need some opinions here.  I got re-looking at the pistons, and want to see if anyone has any ideas as to what caused this.  To me it looks like the pistons got really hot below the oil control rings.  My first though was an oil issue, but the rings have a nice coating of oil and slide smoothly in the ring lands.  I want to make sure there are not other issues going on before the bike goes back together.  Anyone seen this before?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »

Is this discoloration on both or only 1 piston. Do both ides of this piston skirt apear the same?

11 CVO Convertible

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2013, 02:35:42 PM »

Yes, both pistons are the same and it seems to be even on the adjecent sides. I also noticed that most of the moly seems be be missing off thr top compression ring in the are that is outside of the ring land. I will try to take pictures of this later.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »

Anytime you have oil that is burnt and gold in color  there is extreme heat , the underside area of the dome is most likely caused by too much heat on the face of the piston.  Hard to tell but the face of the top rings has a odd look to it almost like it was trying to stick .. It may just be the flash or photo angle as the second ring does not look that way.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.