Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luggage - Switched to Dry-Spec  (Read 1381 times)

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
Luggage - Switched to Dry-Spec
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »

We started riding again 11 years ago after almost 30 years without a bike. Our goal was to be able to go anywhere anytime we could. We started back slow and within two years had ventured several states from home and did a 660 mile day two up. We have worked hard to find the right gear for the season that works best for us, allows us to simplify and be comfortable. We have also really learned to pack properly which the wife is good at. We proved over Christmas and New Years that we could do 9 days and only laundry once without carrying excess gear.

Now to the main point I want to share. We have for 10 years used the HD hard pack luggage on the tour pack. It works great and has served us well. But I hate having to put a rain cover over it when we hit weather. Also we wanted a little more room and we also wanted to add a margin of safety.

I shopped around for days last fall planning for our year end ride and finally based on quality, size, price, color and style purchased the Dry-Spec D66 system from Revzilla. The main bag and the top bag are completely different. It took a few days to figure it all out, master mounting and decide out to most efficiently but we got it all figured out. The straps that come with the system will work but are better suited for adventure bikes, or bikes without a our pack style rack. I instead used my ROK Straps which I come to love. These are another great product that also looks nice and will not damage your bikes finish.

We ended up keeping all our heated gear and rain gear in the top bag. Never had to open it up in 9 days which was a first on our annual December ride. The main bag held everything we needed. Allowed us to keep the tour pack open for helmets and jackets and the wife had the right saddle bag for what ever she needed and I had the left side.

We especially like that it is bright orange for a added level of safety.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

Re: Luggage - Switched to Dry-Spec
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 05:40:03 PM »

From a different angle...

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 05:41:28 PM »

If it rains, no problem. Keep on trucking.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »

I know a lot of you are much more seasoned rider than we are. The forums are both educational and inspirational.

My personal solo mileage record in one day is 875 miles. My wife LOVES to ride and is the perfect passenger. She NEVER complains and rides though what ever conditions we have to run though. Again gear is critical. We often run 500 mile days but really enjoy those 400 or less the most.

In 11 years now we have logged right at 120 k miles in 16 states. Hoping to do New England soon and planning for the West coast in about three years God willing.

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »

My wife gets the left saddlebag, I tell her it's because I'm always RIGHT ::)

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »

My wife gets the left saddlebag, I tell her it's because I'm always RIGHT ::)

The question is, does she believe that? LOL

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 05:41:06 AM »

We changed last year to the identical bags and straps.  Best move we ever made for traveling.  Last summer we did a 14 day ride to Montana from Ontario and rode in 7 days of rain.  Everything was kept completely dry in bags.  They are also very reasonably priced.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:49:37 PM »

We changed last year to the identical bags and straps.  Best move we ever made for traveling.  Last summer we did a 14 day ride to Montana from Ontario and rode in 7 days of rain.  Everything was kept completely dry in bags.  They are also very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the reply.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »

Looks like a good luggage system. I switched from a T-Bag to Road Ready years ago.  Road Ready https://www.roadreadybags.com/ is waterproof, does not require a bag cover.  They have held up very well for years, very pleased with them.

As to saddlebags my wife gets the left saddlebag & I get the right saddlebag.  Beyond that as long as I have room for a bottle of brown water & my cigar travel humidor, I'm ok.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 04:21:31 PM »

You guys should treat your wives better! Mine tells me the left bag is a downgrade.

She is in her bag every stop and easier for her to access the higher bag when on the jiffy stand. We have done it that way for so long it would be hard to change.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »

I switched from a T-Bag to Road Ready years ago.  Road Ready https://www.roadreadybags.com/ is waterproof, does not require a bag cover.  They have held up very well for years, very pleased with them.

I have not heard of that brand before. Looks like a quality product.

As to saddlebags my wife gets the left saddlebag & I get the right saddlebag.  Beyond that as long as I have room for a bottle of brown water & my cigar travel humidor, I'm ok.

Brown water and cigars are a thing of the past for me.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 09:26:33 PM »

I have not heard of that brand before. Looks like a quality product.

Brown water and cigars are a thing of the past for me.

It is. Have met the owner.  Great guy.

Still enjoy those 2, now only in moderation with the rare exception.  Not because have become responsible, mostly because am so damn old I fall asleep before am past moderation.  ;D

:drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 08:51:48 AM »

Guess we’ve jacked the thread  :nervous: so I’ll throw in a vote for Road Ready bags also. Have medium for short trips and large with Rick Rak attached for longer trips. They have some form/shape but are not hard sided and best as stated are waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:10:33 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 26 queries.