Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 73

Author Topic: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project  (Read 186958 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« on: November 26, 2009, 09:59:18 PM »

I've always loved the 02 Candy Brandy Road Kings.  First adored the Triple Red SERGs in 2000 without even knowing it was a CVO bike or what that meant.  Then fell in love again with the Candy Brandy SERKs when first seeing one in probably early 2004.  They're rare enough one just doesn't see them that often.

Have plenty of bikes though.  Didn't need to buy another.  But a little over a year ago stumbled in to an opportunity that was too much fun to pass up.  Some poor bastard from up in Iowa contacted me asking about "these bikes you like so much."  Was a friend of a friend kind of thing.

Poor guy had pulled through an intersection (ran a red) and got clipped in the very rear.  Ass end of the bike was trashed.  Fender, swingarm, saddlebags, everything in the rear was mangled.  Bottom rear of the frame must have dragged as it was ground through the powder coat to the metal also.  But the frame itself is surprisingly ok.  Straight without any problems I've found.  An unexpected and pleasant surprise given the nature of the accident.

The guy didn't have insurance.  Couldn't afford to fix it and needed cash to pay for damage to the other car.  I bought it for $4600.

Over the last year or so have slowly collected some pieces that would be needed to finish the project.  Some of the OE pieces had some chrome pitting or showed signs of other lack of excellent care.  But overall it was in decent shape.  And the paint from the side covers forward looked very good.

Over the last year had found one saddlebag and more recently a rear fender.  Finally gave up on finding the other saddlebag so sent a primed bag and all the other parts to a painter.  He painted the saddlebag to match and recleared everything to give it all a matching shine.

Then, of course, at just about the same time he'd finished painting the primed saddlebag I found one.  New in the box.  Gguess a spare can't hurt...

The rear fender will be a good "mounted" fender.  But all the mounting points have paint pushed up around the points of contact.  I'll have to be very careful someday when it gets mounted to make sure that everything matches up this time where it mated the first time it was mounted.  I'll still keep an eye out for a new rear that might show up someday for a spare.  On the bike after a careful mounting it'll look fine though.

Frame is at a powder coaters and has been for awhile (dark red).  Have to pick it up sometime before spring.  Still have other parts to collect and decisions to be made.  Primary decision yet pending is what to do with the engine.  May slightly goose up the now stock 95".  May split it and duplicate the 107" in the red bike since it works so well.  

If I split the cases I'm also thinking about re-powder coating the engine and tranny in the new granite color and diamond cutting all the fins.  I really like the granite and if diamond cutting is chosen want something darker than the silver for contrasting background.  Don't want all the engine and tranny red though.  Too much.  Need a complement somewhere.  Might also leave the lower cases silver and do the heads and jugs in a dark red.  Decisions decisions...

With patience and a few propitious parts scores the complete reassembly will be a project next winter.  But here are the painted parts.  Full set of SERK paint sans bike.  Just noticed one of the side covers is in a saddlebag.  It's apparently too shy to have its picture taken.  Might also add to this paint collection with an FLHX rear fascia.  Yet another decision to be made.

That's the story.  The End (for now).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:20:46 AM by Twolanerider »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: New 02 Brandywine SERK -- Long Term Project
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 10:10:21 PM »

Well now that everyone knows about this you can't make us wait a whole year until it's all done. :( I can enlist some help now and don't have to send PM's checking on progress. :sneaky: :evilgrin:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:14:24 PM »

cant wait to follow the progress of this one, just concerened what its gonna cost me
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »

Well now that everyone knows about this you can't make us wait a whole year until it's all done. :( I can enlist some help now and don't have to send PM's checking on progress. :sneaky: :evilgrin:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

There were only a dozen or so that knew of this project.  Most of those were sitting around a lunch table at MV last year which happened to be shortly after I'd dragged it home.  But once the paint got back I was overwhelmed by the SERKy Spirit and the pictured sprung forth. 

Had two concerns that had me keep my mouth shut initially.  Didn't have the patience for a thousand and six different suggestions on how to build my particular vision of the SERK from scratch and was afraid some SOB would see it and offer so much more than I had in it I'd have to say yes.  Got most of the ideas for construction tidied up in my head now.  So at least the former is no longer a negative issue.  Less concerned about the latter now as well as have become invested in the parts search process.  That's a fun all its own.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:17:46 PM »

cant wait to follow the progress of this one, just concerened what its gonna cost me

It'll be a slow plodding thread Neal.  Pick up a part here or there.  Complete a subassembly of some kind.  Decide on a handlebar option.  That kind of thing.  It's not going to see anything extreme though.  I love the original red SERKs so much that while I might alter at the margins a bit the original look and character will remain.  Just to screw with Howie I might get a fairing painted for it though.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »

Naitram I think Don is just taking his time (putting it off) so he can prolong moving on to the next project... something like this :evilgrin:.......

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »

Naitram I think Don is just taking his time (putting it off) so he can prolong moving on to the next project... something like this :evilgrin:.......

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Have mentioned before no other bikes while the current project is ongoing.  However long that takes.  I'm being a good boy.  Also not planning on setting the Road King as a truly long distance tourer (compared to the red bike and the SERG).  Think it's going to get a solo saddle, not going to put a hitch on it for the Bushtec and will never get a tour pak painted up for it.  It'll be a weekender.  Very much a local cruiser bike.  So in many ways it would fill the role I might also use the DWG for.  Not that I wouldn't be interested someday in a beautful red FXDWG2 ::) .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:29:36 PM by Twolanerider »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:27:44 PM »

As I have told you, this is my kind of project...  

The last one of these I did took about two years.  After finishing the bike, I road it once....  I was approached at a gas station near my home on my maiden voyage and was offered stupid money for it - so I sold it.  It was just a project for me and I was done with the project....perfect ending.  At the time, I had a garage full of bikes -I think I was up to six.   The proceeds from the sale bought my first Screamin Eagle...an 01 Gray/Black SERG...   :2vrolijk_21:  
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:29:43 PM »

Have mentioned before no other bikes while the current project is ongoing.  However long that takes.  I'm being a good boy.
You got to admit though 4 classic red CVO's in the garage would be the schnizzle. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »

As I have told you, this is my kind of project...  

The last one of these I did took about two years.  After finishing the bike, I road it once....  I was approached at a gas station near my home on my maiden voyage and was offered stupid money for it - so I sold it.  It was just a project for me and I was done with the project....perfect ending.  At the time, I had a garage full of bikes -I think I was up to six.   The proceeds from the sale bought my first Screamin Eagle...an 01 Gray/Black SERG...   :2vrolijk_21:  

I understand Scott.  I enjoy the project process.  Have had a few street rod or classic restoration projects whose primary fun and enjoyment were the process itself.  Didn't mind at all sending them on their way as soon as they were done.  They may have beautiful.  But they weren't ever something I was attached to.

I really enjoy the investigatory process on the restorations.  This bike will have a little of that because of the almost one-off rarity of some of its pieces.  The hunt is a game within the larger project that is a fun all its own though.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »

You got to admit though 4 classic red CVO's in the garage would be the schnizzle. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Four?  Were I ever hare brained enough to manufacture justification for four might as well go ahead and create sophistry to accept five.  There'd be room for that red FXR2 in the shop too.  That would complete the set though....

(really, no chit, it would)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »

Four?  Were I ever hare brained enough to manufacture justification for four might as well go ahead and create sophistry to accept five.  There'd be room for that red FXR2 in the shop too.  That would complete the set though....

(really, no chit, it would)
Oh you think I wasn't going there after there were four?? Remember I am a EBCM. :wiseguy: :sneaky: :evilgrin:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »

Looks like a great project Twolane! I'll enjoy watching it come together.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Now that's a nice bike! What lucky SOB rides that around?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »

Looks like a great project Twolane! I'll enjoy watching it come together.

Thanks Mark.  The detail invested in your DWG is still the gold standard for such things.  This one won't reach those levels.  But it will be a nice representation of the marque when its done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 73

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.