Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: HOG membership benefits dwindling  (Read 6731 times)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
HOG membership benefits dwindling
« on: December 10, 2019, 10:36:07 AM »

received my yearly membership package yesterday, as a lifetime member for about 17 yrs. was disappointed to see that there wasn't a touring handbook with road atlas included. so, I called HOG to inquire about it. was told that they did away with it because so many dealerships were moving & changing that the info would be inaccurate before it reached us, the consumer. another benefit gone. also checked into an "associate lifetime membership for the wife, who has in the past, been a member of lady hogs. it was 300+. WOW. I think I only paid 100-125 for my lifetime.  just a little vent (rant).
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: HOG membership benefits dwindling
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 11:16:37 AM »

HOG is at best a shell of it's former self.  Am a Lifetime member, have not received the package yet but this change is not unexpected.  HD is focused on "new' riders and they have been taking existing customers for granted for more than a few years.  Years ago HOG had regional rallies as well as state rallies that were well planned - depending on which ones you attended.  State rallies are gone & don't know anybody who has traveled to one of the newer regional rallies.  From what I have seen in print regarding these I wouldn't waste my time or money on them.

The Milwaukee 115th National rally in 2018 from what I heard from locals was a real let down as compared to previous events.  Harley is chasing new dollars from new customers & it appears they figure their existing customers have plenty of cash to easily milk.  I think they have lost their way & do not see any return or improvement in that regard. Quit the local chapter last year because I wasn't doing any of the rides plus the rules and endless preaching before rides became too boring to make the following ride worthwhile. Squeezed the fun out of it.

Other than that, I am having a great day. Am taking a nice long ride this afternoon ending at Ye Olde Cigar bar to have a smoke & an icy cold beverage.   :drink:   ;D ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:41:17 AM »

I get it to a degree... but come on man.  A map?  The cost of producing something as outdated as a paper map... easy call.  Bikes have navigation, theres the HD app with suggested rides, ride planning, etc.  If you REALLY want to go old school... stop at your local gas station and pick up a map for $5.

I've had to use the towing benefit twice... MORE than pays for the cost of the membership.

With the HOG membership you automatically get into the HD Museum now...they didn't include that before.  I only got tickets because I purchased a CVO... not because of the HOG membership...not its "free" to get in.

Times and overall needs of the majority change... there will always be things that get eliminated with growth; its a part of advancement.

Imagine if HD was still only producing 50cc engines because "thats tradition"?  I dont know...

Do I think they should raise prices? Absolutely not...particularly if they are cutting benefits... that you have 100% correct!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »

Well,...to be honest let's look at OUR CVO rallies. There's the Maggie Valley (which is strong), and a West Coast one that appears to be dropping off. Used to be we'd get a lot of riders and bikes for the West Coast events, but lately it's been very small numbers. But I get it, folks get older, life changes, money gets tight, and priorities change. Life on life's terms, can't do anything about that.

So it's not surprising HOG has had a fall off too.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 12:21:00 PM »

It would have been nice if H-D did a survey of all HOG members to see what benefits were still useful to it's members.
I know I may be in a minority but I find the map books useful not only on a bike but in other vehicles and can also be used to teach the grandkids geography on a larger scale then on a small screen.
Again being in a minority I don't have a smart phone and don't want one. I also know many models of Harleys don't have built in GPS systems. It is also harder to find full service gas stations that are open and carry a full selection of maps. Maybe some convenience stores still sell them? Otherwise I guess we would need to order maps in advance off of the internet.......
I for one would use a map more often then admission to a museum half way across the nation from where I live. But I also understand that we are individuals with various wants and needs etc.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »

It would have been nice if H-D did a survey of all HOG members to see what benefits were still useful to it's members.
I know I may be in a minority but I find the map books useful not only on a bike but in other vehicles and can also be used to teach the grandkids geography on a larger scale then on a small screen.
Again being in a minority I don't have a smart phone and don't want one. I also know many models of Harleys don't have built in GPS systems. It is also harder to find full service gas stations that are open and carry a full selection of maps. Maybe some convenience stores still sell them? Otherwise I guess we would need to order maps in advance off of the internet.......
I for one would use a map more often then admission to a museum half way across the nation from where I live. But I also understand that we are individuals with various wants and needs etc.
Are you referring to the Hog handbook with all the state maps in it? It also has a section of every H-D dealership in the USA and Canada? I bought a CVO this past July and HOG sent me one, It’s the 2019 Edition touring handbook atlas.... I’m asking because you are welcome to have mine if you are interested? Give me your address and it will be in the mail tomorrow.. Free of charge.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »

I know I may be in a minority but I find the map books useful not only on a bike but in other vehicles and can also be used to teach the grand kids geography on a larger scale then on a small screen.I for one would use a map more often then admission to a museum half way across the nation from where I live.

I have found the best source for updated printed maps and map books is AAA.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »

Thank you for the offer scotman623,
That is the book I was referring too and I have one from my own membership packet that they send each year. But it may be the last one for anyone and will be a part of history..... ;D

Thanks for the info Ironhorse but with my luck I would pay to join AAA and they will stop with printed maps as well and want me to buy a smart phone so they can send me info by phone apps ......(tough to be a dinosaur now in modern times I guess?)   :huepfenlol2:

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »

that stinks, no more touring hand book. I use mine all time and they get beat up fast. sending you a PM scotman623, i would really be grateful if you would send that to me   
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »

All the old guys and gals I knew for years at H.O.G. corporate are retired or downsized.  Tours are outsourced.  State rallies eliminated and regional rallies ain't all that special from what I hear.  And no more ABCs of touring which we really enjoyed and enticed many, many local chapter members to participate in.  Great excuse to get out and ride to places you've never been . . . and probably would not want to go back to, lol.

I miss the 'good ole days' but they're gone forever.  Nothing lasts.  Just glad I could enjoy it in its heyday.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 08:26:38 PM »

All the old guys and gals I knew for years at H.O.G. corporate are retired or downsized.  Tours are outsourced.  State rallies eliminated and regional rallies ain't all that special from what I hear.  And no more ABCs of touring which we really enjoyed and enticed many, many local chapter members to participate in.  Great excuse to get out and ride to places you've never been . . . and probably would not want to go back to, lol.

I miss the 'good ole days' but they're gone forever.  Nothing lasts.  Just glad I could enjoy it in its heyday.

I did the life membership a very very long time ago.  This is probably wrong but my recollection is that the cost was $95.  Started losing interest when the state rallies became such cookie cutter affairs.  Then hadn't really paid attention for a long time.  Had no idea the ABCs thing was discontinued or that the state rallies were completely gone.  Must be hard to build brotherhood around an annual pin coming in the mail and roadside assistance.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »

I am not at all suprised they did away with the Map Book, I was amazed that the technical folks on this site actually used this book vs a electronic one. I personally do not know of anyone who does not own a mobile phone without internet access. Waze & Google maps are just so NICE. To each his own but to put together and send out a book that only has basic maps just seems to be a waste of money to me. So I agree HOG is going away, I did not renew this year, I had been a 20 year member and we honestly do not miss it. For those that keep it for the towing, well all of the major insurance companies I know of now offer tow & labor you can add to your policy for a nominal amount and they will take the bike where you want.

mark

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »

Printed maps, much like phone books and calendars, are outdated and most likely thrown away upon receipt.  The bean counters are going to balk at spending thousands of dollars to send out something so outdated.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 07:57:26 AM »

Printed maps, much like phone books and calendars, are outdated and most likely thrown away upon receipt.  The bean counters are going to balk at spending thousands of dollars to send out something so outdated.

How about this - it is SMART to discontinue something that is SOOOO outdated.  A map, in today’s world is a FRICKEN Dinosaur...     it is STUPID to keep doing something that does not keep up with the times.

Businesses would GO OUT OF BUSINESS, if all they did was THE SAME OLD THING.   AND jobs would be 100% gone.   

Evolve, don’t be.  Curmudgeon...

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »

Evolve, don’t be.  Curmudgeon...

I don't use printed maps. Have not used one in years.

But I did evolve.  To be a curmudgeon.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 24 queries.