Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 110 engine scattered / funny story  (Read 4788 times)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
Re: 110 engine scattered / funny story
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »

As we approached Wall my buddies 2011 CVO Convertible started making a loud noise almost like a sludge hammer hitting metal. We took it to Rapid City, H.D. and the said the lifter split in half. 3 days later they installed a new motor. 61 000 KM.

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »

All this stuff freaks me out. Remember I bought this bike used and even though it only had 500 miles on it, the warranty was over because it's a 2010. All I hear when I ride it is top end noise. I think my only choice for peace of mind is to buy an extended warranty if they will still sell me one.

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE-6
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »

All this stuff freaks me out. Remember I bought this bike used and even though it only had 500 miles on it, the warranty was over because it's a 2010. All I hear when I ride it is top end noise. I think my only choice for peace of mind is to buy an extended warranty if they will still sell me one.

Top end noise is only the beginning of horror story which will eventually end with lifter failure . First of all switch to Red Oil, Mobile1 or AMSOIL immediately. Inspect  Cam chest when changing oil. That's what I learned, but unfortunately it was to late.

Skipper 
"F..@* the Rushmore's, I'm gonna keep my Babe"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 02:31:18 PM »

Top end noise is only the beginning of horror story which will eventually end with lifter failure . First of all switch to Red Oil, Mobile1 or AMSOIL immediately. Inspect  Cam chest when changing oil. That's what I learned, but unfortunately it was to late.

Skipper 
Won't agrue merits of various oils but I don't think choice of oil will make much difference imo.  I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 and had lifter failure resulting in new motors in both my '07 and my '12 (at only 23k miles) within the past six months.  So use the best motor oil you can find but it doesn't seem to protect much from this inherent problem.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »

Won't agrue merits of various oils but I don't think choice of oil will make much difference imo.  I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 and had lifter failure resulting in new motors in both my '07 and my '12 (at only 23k miles) within the past six months.  So use the best motor oil you can find but it doesn't seem to protect much from this inherent problem.
[/quote]

....still learning. Since you've had lifter problem on both bikes, did you solve the problem temporary by changing the lifter and other things with stock parts, or you did some permanent job with aftermarket parts?. On my '11 SEUC lifter vent off after 25k miles. Complete Cam chest was destroyed. Dealer want to put same chitty stock parts back, which will be the point where I was and I really want to solve this problem once for good. What was yours experience?

Skipper

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 05:27:25 PM »

Mine were both so bad that motors could not be repaired and were replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IBA member # 45520

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »

Mine were both so bad that motors could not be repaired and were replaced.

...under Warranty I presume

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »

ESP on the 07 and moco warranty on the 12.

IBA member # 45520

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

First of all I'm glad that your buddy's wife got a new engine. Secondly, this have nothing to do with "honest dealer". Hi is just a messenger. The mighty MOCO have final word. And what about all of us 2011 CVO an earlier owners? Same engine, same problems, same issues, where is our new engine?, or maybe our dealers are less honest. When Warranty is out, Goodbye my friend! Luckily for us, CVOHARLEY is here and some devoted members who will help you build decent 110". Any how, I've learned my lesson, as you Americans says "You fool me once, shame on you, you fool me twice .....).
Sorry for the bitterness, I'm in love with damn thing, only corporate attitude I can't bear.
Skipper
I had a very early 110, July 2006, the head issue, crank issue.  Motor was replaced, but then that one went too.  Traded for a 2006, 30,000 miles later, still running great.  Its a TC 88. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »

On behalf of some honest dealers, my buddys wife has a 12' CVO convertible and the engine since day one has run weird. Prior to going to Sturgis we took it into the local shop where we both have work done (I have a 13 CVO RG atomic orange, he has a 13 CVO RG anniverary), they checked it out, called and said MOCO agreed to a new motor and within a week a brand new 110 was installed, no cost. We all rode to Stugis, engine ran great, and no weird noises anymore. So good things can happen at some dealerships.

+1 for this, some dealers will help you get to the moon well others not so much.  I bought my CVO at a dealer and it didnt' take long before I realised it was a crap customer service dealership.  Sense I bought my CVO 2 years ago I've dropped over $10k at another dealer (Timms Harley, SC) 30 mins from where I purchased my bike.  I call up and you can tell they help the best they can, no BS.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »

I go to the H.D.dealer 15 Min's from my house where I purchased the bike to get the front tire replaced under warranty for cracking at the seal they replace the tire @ N.C. BUT when they balance the wheel they took off the nice CHROME weights that come on the bike with some shinny lead Bull Shi!!! now I must go back and complain and make them do it right, I should not have to do that they always try the cheap way out even if its warranty work.
DND
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 22 queries.