Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specifically, SEMI-synthetic primary case oil  (Read 1337 times)

wyobadger

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WY

• CVO1: 2013 Road King CVO
Specifically, SEMI-synthetic primary case oil
« on: July 21, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »

Really (REALLY!) not wanting to open the same old can of worms about oils but I do have a specific question/request regarding SEMI-synthetic primary case oils.

After multiple mechanics concurred on an impending failure on my FLHRSE5 (based primarily on audible symptoms at shut-down) I am replacing my comp sprocket with 33K miles on it. I've run Redline FULL-synthetics in "all three holes" for the entirety of the 33K miles. I will continue to use Redline FULL-synthetics in engine and transmission but I have decided to try SEMI-synthetic oil in the primary case with the new sprocket.

Here's my question/request: Would any of you, who are running SEMI-synthetic primary oil, please share your SEMI-synthetic brand choices and experiences?

Thanks much,
wyobadger
<><
wyobadger
<><

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Specifically, SEMI-synthetic primary case oil
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:47:18 AM »

I'm wondering what your reason for using a semi-synthetic is?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Specifically, SEMI-synthetic primary case oil
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »

I'm wondering what your reason for using a semi-synthetic is?

Me too.  The only reason I can think of for running semi-syn instead of full syn has to do with price.  That's why my old employer runs semi-syn instead of full syn as factory fill in the engines of their cars and trucks.  You get some of the benefits of synthetic but at a slightly lower cost. 

If you're thinking the semi-synthetic is somehow going to make the compensator last longer, it won't.  If that is the issue, make sure you got the very latest version of the compensator AND have the oil diverter either cast into the primary cover or the plastic tray.  Better yet, check out the Compensaver by GMR.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 24 queries.