Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switch Replacement  (Read 731 times)

Sean M Cary

Switch Replacement
« on: April 23, 2009, 04:53:39 PM »

Anyone ever done this?  I noticed that the cover on the left hand switch is torn, worried about water shorting it...

Just wondering what this entails, already looked in the manual, but would like to hear from someone who has done it.

TIA

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Switch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »

You're talking about the little toggles through the rear of the nacelle on Road Kings?  If so a torn boot would bug me.  More so because I'd be looking at it all the time.  One of your boots is for spots and one for master on the cruise control aren't they?

The leads are soldered on the back of those switches if I remember right.  But it's a simple thing to unscrew the nut from the rear and drop the switch out.  Just a one beer job.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »

My 08 didn't come with the switch boots  :nixweiss:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »

You're talking about the little toggles through the rear of the nacelle on Road Kings?  If so a torn boot would bug me.  More so because I'd be looking at it all the time.  One of your boots is for spots and one for master on the cruise control aren't they?

The leads are soldered on the back of those switches if I remember right.  But it's a simple thing to unscrew the nut from the rear and drop the switch out.  Just a one beer job.
I have one wired up to do my heat - the left one is torn and the other is not being used (I don't have any other lights). Cruise is under my controls.

Tanks are coming off this weekend so I can do the rocker box leak repair and put in spark plug wires in, will be easier then...don't have to worry about scratching the tank.

Also putting the Hayden in for the primary adjuster.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »

If you just want to change out the boots, I believe you can get just the boot and not the whole switch. Will see if I still have the p/n handy at home............
 :drink:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Ziploc

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:13:34 AM »

When I picked up my SERK3, the switch boot was missing.  After I pointed it out, the guy went to the back and pulled one out like they kept them on stock.  They simply screw over the switch and are easy to replace (no need to pull the switch).  Much less than a one beer job, but I think any work should have a one beer minimum.  Check with your dealer or check out your local auto parts store.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:44:53 AM »

If you just want to change out the boots, I believe you can get just the boot and not the whole switch. Will see if I still have the p/n handy at home............
 :drink:
Joe

that would be MUCH easier...   I have a parts manual, never thought to look in there.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.