Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: oil leak dripping from bottom of primary  (Read 7248 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: oil leak dripping from bottom of primary
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 05:22:15 PM »

When you have the seal changed, make sure you use a Cometic seal.  The HD seals are garbage.
:2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 07:07:57 PM »

The original seal certainly had issues.  The newer revised seal is part # 11000101.  It seems ok.

rlundy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 07:16:09 PM »

Ok, took it to the HD shop today and after 1/2 hour inspection, they told me the oil gasket was missing that goes over the crankshaft.  I said I don't remember putting one on because I installed a new inner primary housing which comes with main bearing and gasket seal.  They said it doesn't come with a gasket seal.  I said I feel silly, but an easy repair for me vs their $420 estimate.  They said I wasn't the first to leave that gasket off.  So I buy the inner primary gasket kit.  I get home and disassemble primary and what do I find, a gasket seal in the inner primary housing.  So one, HD was incorrect.  Two, I may have found the cause of the leak, but not 100% sure.  The pic attached shows the crankshaft and it appears, what I call an inner racer bushing over the crankshaft, has been pushed in about 1/2in or so.  Far back enough to where the gasket doesn't seal the oil from leaking.  If this is the case, how do I correct this??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »

There is a gasket between the inner primary and the engine case.  I suppose they might describe that as going "over the crankshaft" but that's not what that gasket does.  The picture you're showing also is not the engine crankshaft.  That's the transmission mainshaft.

The part you're looking at is a pressed on race that is the sealing surface for the inner primary seal.  If that race walks it can ruin either the primary seal or the transmission mainshaft seal (depending on which way it moves).

If you believe it's inboard enough to cause a problem you'll have to go ahead and remove the pulley.  You'll then need a special puller that gets inside the race and pulls it off the mainshaft.  Therein may be a problem for you though.  If it's walked inboard there may not be room to get the puller on it.  If that's happened you'll have to take a cutting wheel to the race and CAREFULLY split it without damaging the mainshaft.  Once the race is off the same puller then gets turned around to become a pusher and is used to press the race back where it belongs. 

rlundy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 08:01:31 PM »

Thanks for the correction on the tranny mainshaft.  I got this 07 Ultra CVO about a 2-3 months ago.  I've always ridden Yamahas, but finally gave in and got me a Harley.  I like it, especially the Screamin Eagle 110, but not the $$ I'm spending to try and get it right.  I like and am capable of doing some repairs and maintenance myself.  I started off just trying to fix an oil leak.  I damaged the original inner primary housing, so I replaced it with a new one ($400). This is the second $60 primary gasket kit I've had to buy, but won't install kit because I can't definitively determine cause oil leak.  That's why I took it to the HD shop, but they missed it as well.

Now it looks like I got a bigger repair that I'm not sure I wiling to tackle....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:11:27 PM by rlundy »

rlundy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 09:28:58 PM »

Found a video on how to pull inner race off main shaft without removing pulley, etc.  But, another $100 for the special Harley walk-in race puller tool.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 10:28:08 PM »

Found a video on how to pull inner race off main shaft without removing pulley, etc.  But, another $100 for the special Harley walk-in race puller tool.

If the race has walked in you won't be able to get the puller behind it. Or at least probably won't. You'll need the pulley out of the way. If so that will mean both the polar for the race and a large very deep socket for the nut. you need to get everything out of the way just so you can see where the race is to start though.

rlundy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 07:26:01 AM »

I saw a video where they take a Dremel tool and cut a slot about .080in deep x .150 across the race.  This slots allows the puller tool to grab and pull from there.  They say in some cases you can heat the race up with a small torch to make it come off easier.  The video I saw he didn't have to heat the race. 

Springer Dan

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »

Easiest way to do this is to loosen the main shaft nut and tap the shaft toward the primary side. Shouldn't need to remove pulley.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 11:54:55 AM »

Easiest way to do this is to loosen the main shaft nut and tap the shaft toward the primary side. Shouldn't need to remove pulley.

In that video the pulley is off for access.  As to whether it could or could not be done in their method with the pulley on you're left with two options in their method.

1) Take 5 minutes (if you have the tools) and take the pulley off to do it normally.

2) Take the exhaust off the bike and the tranny side cover and the tranny top cover (more gaskets and parts in the process) to access the mainshaft nut.  That's a lot more time and more parts.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 11:58:58 AM »

I saw a video where they take a Dremel tool and cut a slot about .080in deep x .150 across the race.  This slots allows the puller tool to grab and pull from there.  They say in some cases you can heat the race up with a small torch to make it come off easier.  The video I saw he didn't have to heat the race.

That's tedious.  I've done it.  Also torn the back lip off the "horseshoe" part of the puller in the effort.  That same part has failed even with a full bite getting behind the race normally.  It's on there with a decent amount of press. 

When they've walked inboard I've had much better luck either doing the Dremel work at the inside end so the puller can get completely behind it as it would normally or just splitting the race.  However you go after it though just be careful the cutoff wheel doesn't get friendly with the mainshaft.

If you decide to try cutting a new lip somewhere in the race it'll have to be with a Dremel if you leave the pulley on. No room for any bigger tool.  Also, that race is hard.  So plan on being there awhile if all your hitting it with is a little wheel and a Dremel.  That's easily a 2.5 to 3 beer job.

If you consider using a little heat to expand the race you're right back to having to take the pulley off.  Because there is no way I'd ever do that without then also replacing the big and the small seal behind your work area.

Springer Dan

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 12:21:28 PM »

In that video the pulley is off for access.  As to whether it could or could not be done in their method with the pulley on you're left with two options in their method.

1) Take 5 minutes (if you have the tools) and take the pulley off to do it normally.

2) Take the exhaust off the bike and the tranny side cover and the tranny top cover (more gaskets and parts in the process) to access the mainshaft nut.  That's a lot more time and more parts.

Removing the pulley does nothing as the problem is that the inner race is too close to the main drive gear out put shaft. Plus more special tools required to remove the pulley. The video has the pulley removed cause there just showing on a trans that has been removed. Only extra parts to access the shaft nut are a few gaskets. Time will be spent either way. Question of grinding or removing a few parts.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »

Removing the pulley does nothing as the problem is that the inner race is too close to the main drive gear out put shaft. Plus more special tools required to remove the pulley. The video has the pulley removed cause there just showing on a trans that has been removed. Only extra parts to access the shaft nut are a few gaskets. Time will be spent either way. Question of grinding or removing a few parts.

We said the same thing.  Only extra parts are a few relatively inexpensive gaskets.  But (if you've got the tools) it's a hell of a lot less time and work to take five minutes to yank the pulley and have good access versus pulling the exhaust and tranny side and top covers. 

I'd try the option of adding a notch mid-course on the race to get the puller in before I'd do all that extra work; every time.  If one is unsure of his skills with a cutoff wheel (even a little one on a Dremel) then, sure, do all the extra work.  Unlike the representation in the video, however, it's not presumptive that one will gouge a mainshaft. I never have and it's a task I've dealt with a few times.  But I'm careful with my work while still not being inclined to tear a bunch of stuff off the other side of the bike unnecessarily.

rlundy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2020, 02:17:52 PM »

Thanks for the input fellas.  I'm going with the grinding slot in race and use HD puller tool kit. 

J.D.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »

Haven't seen this variant of this tool yet.  I'm liking that a lot  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.